Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 11 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 13 reviews
on November 13, 2016
I will happily change this negative comment if someone will tell me how to turn on the English subtitles. I go to the Special Features Menu, toggle over to the Subtitles bubble, set the cursor next to "English" and "off" and press the OK button, but each time I get returned to the Main Menu and the subtitles remain off. Is there any way to do it?
on January 16, 2017
I cannot say I hated this movie being I ordered it twice just to make sure but neither DVD played in my DVD or my PS3. Unless I missed it, it did not say have that "Zone" warning that other DVDs have to warn against it not playing on must U.S, DVD players. I ordered 2 other DVDs with the same actress and my other 2 DVDs played just fine.
on August 9, 2016
Every thing was all around "PERFECT". Yes, I would buy from this seller again.
on March 3, 2017
I enjoyed it very much.
on August 15, 2015
Video quality isn't too great; but, considering the date it was produced, it's understandable. Acting is just as dated. Still, if you're a Gong Li fan, it's a must have.
on November 8, 2006
This director made two movies of this title (in English translation). This is the 1989 "Xi tai hou" with actors Lui Xiao Qing, Gong Li (in a supporting role), Chen Dao Ming, and Li Yan. It has Mandarin and Cantonese soundtracks, with subtitles in English (though with lots of typos and literal translations).

I am not Chinese, only a newer student of China culture and history. The DVD is not as high quality as I am used to, some scratches on the film in parts. But I am happy to have bought it and to have seen it. The story is well told, I think, in a more Chinese way -- which I appreciate. This applies to the writing and directing. The acting is quite good, from any perspective. The film is short at 94 minutes but packs a lot of content, with beautiful traditional costume, decor, achitecture, storytelling, song, allusions to BeiJing Opera, and history and cultural practices of many sorts. I was familiar with Gong Li, from better known films she has done, Chinese and United States. Here her role is a supporting role, but still a significant one.

The relationships between the Empress Dowagers (mothers of the emperor), and the young Emperor and his new wife, as well as the court intrigue among the others in the royal court were held my interest.

I felt it was a beautiful film, though somewhat foreign to me in its style and culture. I appreciate it for teaching me much in a short time, in an enjoyable way, with such beauty and poetry.
88 comments| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 22, 2013
bought this movie being a Gong Li fan and while it was good, I don't think it is the best one she has been in. I would still recommend it as it is better than average, particularly if you are a fan of Chinese films.
on February 1, 2017
good
on January 7, 2015
Simply awful subtitles.
on January 19, 2007
This is an interesting movie if you want to understand the cruelty the Empress Dowager served to the people in her court. The broken romance of the Emperor and a servant of the Empress was good. However, some of the scenes in the movie didn't make sense, and the subtitles didn't either. So unless you can speak Mandarin, there are some parts of the movie that definitely leave you saying, "huh?" Also, the movie, and the history books don't seem to agree on some a few points, so I am assuming the director took liberties to base the movie loosely on the life of the Empress Dowager. The movie only covered about seven or so years of her life, so if you really want to know about her life, consult a history book - not this movie.