Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 180 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 278 reviews
on October 9, 2016
These books delighted and enchanted me as a child. I only ever owned a copy of one of the books and it is well worn. I wanted to share these with my own children and recently bought the kindle edition with all four. My 8-year-old recently read them and I know she was as equally enchanted. After she was done she told me she was sad to have finished them and wished there were more in the series. Love these books!
on May 13, 2016
These stories a are very near and dear to me. They were some of my favorite stories growing up and I still like reading then when I'm in the mood for something light and fun. I love the way Patricia Wrede plays off the classic fairy tale characters and puts them in a "real world" where they have to make life work for them. It's also nice to have a heroine who is very sure of herself and a positive role model for kids. My mom first read them to me when I was about 8 and I could read them for myself shortly after that.
on June 9, 2017
I originally read Dealing With Dragons when I was in 4th or 5th grade, and it has always been one of my favorites. When I found out that not only was it part of a series, but that it was available as a boxed set, I had to read it immediately. This set will always hold a special place in my heart, and I look forward to reading it again many times.
on November 22, 2006
Patricia C. Wrede breathes a little life into the young adult adventure/fantasy genre with her series "The Enchanted Forest Chronicles".

Fiction and Fairy Tales collide in these entertainingly witty and unique novels, chronicling the adventures of Princess Cimorene as she deals with Dragons, witches, warlocks, and more!

The series starts off with my favorite book "Dealing with Dragons", in which a young princess rebels against the societal expectations placed upon her. Princesses from all over the world are expected to be "captured" by dragons in order to be rescued by a Prince and run off to get married and live happily ever after. However, Cimorene has other ideas. She runs away, willingly goes to live with the Dragons, and refuses to let a Prince rescue her! She is happier serving the Dragons than living a hum-drum life in a castle somewhere. She would rather have excitement and adventures than be stuck blindly obeying princess protocol and attending balls.

Although the books are set in a middle-ages kind of environment, where women were not equal to men, and princesses were meant to do nothing except look pretty and get rescued, the character of Princess Cimorene reflects a strong, independent, intelligent feminine role model ideal in todays setting. She doesn't adhere to what society dictates she can and can not do, and she chooses to follow her own path, which is admirable and makes for a very interesting journey.

Each book in the series contains strange and interesting new characters, and follows a unique storyline. The "Enchanted Forest Chronicles" would be a perfect gift for anyone who enjoys "Harry Potter", or "The Chronicles or Narnia". The imagination involved in each story is incredible, and can be enjoyed by people of all ages!
on October 9, 2016
Nicely written and plotted, wry, sweet, and a bit silly. Obviously a kids' series, but still enjoyable by adults. Can't give it 5 stars, but I definitely enjoyed it and will look up the rest of Ms. Wrede's books.
on November 5, 2016
This is a great collection to give any young reader, especially girls. Strong female character turns the dragon-princess dynamic upside down, and opens the door for a romp of twists on traditional fairy tales. Good read-aloud, too. The best books for kids are those that adults can enjoy too--which is why I bought this for myself this time.
on January 9, 2017
Love this book. Read a few chapters to the 9 year old daughter of a friend on Thanksgiving, to give the adults a chance to talk without being disturbed. Completely safe for her, as well as her two younger sisters (6 and 3) but not boring for the adult reading it. I love how this book is interesting and playful, while being completely clean. Nothing off color to watch out for in this book. She loved the chapters she got to hear so much that I bought her the book for Christmas so she didn't have to wait for me to finish it. Told me she was going to read it to her sisters too, so everyone will get to enjoy it.

Many thanks to Ms. Wrede for doing such an excellent job on a book for ALL ages.
on December 5, 2015
One of my favorite book series from my childhood and now enjoying sharing it with my 7 year old daughter. Cameron is full of spunk and a true heroine for the younger girls to emulate.
on March 7, 2017
Great fantasy series for all kids 10 - 13, but I loved it and I was 23 at the time! I really think this is great for girls because the protagonist is a girl and she still goes out and kicks butt. Librarians all over should be pushing this as a follow up for kicks who liked The Hobbit!
on November 6, 2016
A good dragon series of books. If you child likes dragons, this will be a hit. Got this for my 11 year of grand daughter, she loves them. The package in very nice, and makes a good gift.

The Enchanted Forest Chronicles: (Boxed Set)