Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 534 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,326 reviews
on May 3, 2017
True to his reputation, Sam Harris is extremely well thought out, speaks vividly but clearly, and takes a controversial stance but offers evidence and logic difficult to argue with. I will admit, while tolerance is a valuable moral undertaking, this book will not provide any effort in that direction. In fact, while Harris is completely void of any racial or religious hate, his stance is such that tolerance may no longer be the very best option-too much tolerance can act against us and may even be at the root of a global problem
on March 2, 2014
While Sam Harris' book is definitely on the ground in atheist territory, it is more of a philosophy on atheism than are books by Dawkins, Mills, Hitchins or Stenger.

Harris is intolerant of religion in general, however, he is most at odds with the Muslim faith. As in Dark Ages Europe when the inquisition was in full blossom and Jews and heretics were being slaughtered by the thousands, thus is Islam today. He states that the vary basis for their intolerance towards unbelievers is the very tenets of Islam itself. Directives from both the Qur'an and the literature of the Hadith advocate the killing of all who do not obey Islamic law or sharia. On p. 109 he states, " We are at war with Islam." In a recent poll taken in Islamic countries concerning suicide bombers in defense of Islam, most respondents said it would be justifiable, except in countries closely allied to the West, like Turkey. Saudi Arabia did not take part in the survey.

Harris' writing style is a bit difficult and some of his comments seemed somewhat nebulous, but overall, there is much to be gleaned from this writing. I enjoyed reading his views. It is ironic to note in the afterword that some of the harshest critics of the book have been from atheists who feel he has betrayed their cause on some issues. I didn't feel that was true, but then again, I didn't receive any of their letters.
on June 24, 2017
Mr. Harris brings to light questions I have long held with an inability to verify and brings justification to my concerns. I have a strong Christian background that I only began to question in my Fifties and found disturbing. Anyone of a similar mindset would do well to read this book. I will continue my quest for answers. Thank you, Mr. Harris, for helping me begin this adventure.
on October 19, 2014
It is a bold approach to tackling the issue of religious doctrines and how they affect their followers beliefs and actions. Sam Harris puts it all on the table and pulls no punches as he compares modern educated reasoning to the thoughts and philosophies of the authors of such doctrines espoused thousands of years ago and still blindly followed today. A person who is a firm believer of their doctrine of choice will not find this book comforting and will most likey call Dr. Harris the devil. A person who has serious concerns about following any of these doctrines will most likely come away from this book with further insight and common sense information to objectively look at the subject with a descerning eye. As Dr. Harris so clearly points out, we demand objective proof in almost anything we do or accept in our lives before we take action on it, except when it comes to religious faith... there it seems people are willing to follow their doctrine off the proverbial cliff with no questions asked. I commend Dr. Harris on his work and gumption to put it out there. I would highly recommend the book to anyone with a penchant for learning and truth when it comes how they should live their life.
3838 comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 25, 2016
We are constantly told that it is not relgion itself that is toxic, it is extremists misusing religion who are responsible. Sam Harris does a masterful job of showing us that these extremists are merely expressing the core teachings of their faith and recapitulating its history. The book is sometimes angry in tone, but not nearly as angry as we should be over the fraud that religion is trying to put over on us. Hard read - Great book!
on December 26, 2014
At last a book that clearly demystifies the dangerous, soul-killing fantasies that form the basis of all the organized religions. Thank-you most deeply Mr. Harris for the clarity and reason you bring to the entire subject. In conversations with learned friends I have quoted and shall continue to quote you a great deal. You have put into cogent argument the ideas of so many people who, like me, lacked the literary skill you have in abundance. I look forward with trembling anticipation to reading your other books.
Sincerely,
Jack Blair.
Vancouver.
on November 3, 2014
Sam Harrris' book was well written well documented and I learned a lot from the book. It was thought-provoking and a fairly even-handed in his treatment of the different religions.

As a Christian I would take issue with many of your points regarding the biblical passages that you use in the book. However, your references to the historical of the abuses of the Catholic Church during the Inquisition, and many other abuses are pockmarks on the face of organized Christianity. It was in need of a reformation which did occur. Your treatment of religion is so one sided that you overlook or dismiss the myriad good that's the Christian faith has done for the world: hospitals, Orphanages, schools, universities, family ministries. You would argue that all these can be done without faith but the Christian faith has been a force for much good in this world for the past 2000 years despite its many failings.

What I like most about your writing is that you speak the unvarnished truth as you see it. And this is necessary in a dangerous world that we live in.and perpetrators of religious violence in todays world are Muslims. Why do the politically correct elite tell the truth. Like Ben Affleck.

I was intrigued by this book and your newest book wake up and would like to begin practicing meditation and mindfulness.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 26, 2016
Sam Harris remarked that "It is time that we admitted that faith is nothing more than the license religious people give one another to keep believing when reasons fail". In "The End Of Faith" Harris argues that such "Faith", which is believing in something despite lack of and or evidence to the contrary because you want it to be true, is dangerous in this day and age and may even lead to the destruction of humanity (especially with weapons of mass destruction now in existence). He was motivated to write this book, and much of his life work in general, after the events of 911.

He makes his case with strong reasoning skills utilizing research, analogies, first hand account and more. He does so with great wit and flair (The Intro is particularly engaging leaving you wanting more and more.)

It's important to stress that this book, unlike his colleagues other books, is not about the existence of God. It's about beliefs and how the nature of those beliefs are formed, behave and shape or world. If your looking for books on the existence of God I recommend "Godless" (Barker) & "The God Delusion" (Dawkins).

I recommend this book and check out his other work. I would recommend you watch him talk to (on YouTube or his podcast) he's an even better public speaker.
on May 4, 2017
Sam is great...I also like his podcasts. This affirmed my agnostic stance on religion. I was nodding and agreeing all the way thru!
on April 28, 2017
Well, well done. Put into words something so many of us want to say, and he nails it in a straight forward manner. Could not put this down and will be getting more of his work. Do not miss this book, you will not be disappointed.