Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 264 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 373 reviews
on September 10, 2014
If you're in the mood for a nostalgic peep at the swells of one summer in the sixties and the dream of every surfer, to follow the sun and ride those waves, then there is no better starting place than "the Endless Summer". It still retains the innocence of the period even though, the narrator sometimes betrays an all knowing smile. Recent swells in So-Cal got me curious about the surf phenomenom, which has become a huge sport and culture. The footage of waves and girls, like the boards, is retro as you would expect, but like many good surf documentaries, the ocean takes center frame, and though these two are not shredding 60+ ft waves, the raw power of Neptune is on display in every locale they visit. Recommend starting with this one, and then updating the experience with "Step into Liquid", "Riding Giants", and A Deeper Shade of Blue" ( among others).
on April 5, 2013
It's hard for me to see The Endless Summer as a movie. It's more like an old friend, one you can always trust to have a good time with, no matter the time or setting. It's one of the most simple and entertaining films I've ever come across, full of endless (yeah, sorry) joys and pleasures. All from an amateur director, 2 surfers, and a $50,000 budget.

The plot, while not very important, follows surfers Bruce Brown (director, writer, and narrator of the film), Mike Hynson, and Robert August as they travel around the world in search of "the perfect wave". Key spots include Hawaii, California, Africa, Australia, New Zealand, and Tahiti. The title derives from the idea of following the summer around the world.

It should be noted that knowledge of surfing is NOT required to enjoy this film (I, for example, knew nothing about the sport). This aspect is Bruce Brown's greatest achievement. The film is incredible in it accessibility. Brown narrates, and from the get-go, he is welcoming, light-hearted, and occasionally quite funny. The soundtrack for the movie is provided by The Sandals, and their music, including the film's now iconic theme song, sets the perfect mood. It also doesn't hurt that the sport of surfing is hypnotic and very fun to watch, especially with the great talents Brown is able to capture (Butch Van Artsdalen and Miki Dora are definite highlights). The film is beautifully shot, usually from the shore, but every once in a while from the surfboard itself.

I hesitate to call The Endless Summer a "great" documentary in the same class as Crumb, For All Mankind, Gimme Shelter, Dear Zachary, or the films of Allan King. It's kinda one-note, probably runs a good 15 minutes too long, and isn't exactly deep. But then again, it doesn't really have to be. What Bruce Brown exceeds at is capturing a mood and sense of fun. When Mike or Robert pull off a great ride, teach a few natives how to surf (in one of the film's most hilarious, though not exactly politically correct scenes), and of course, finally find that perfect wave in Southern Africa, you're just as excited as they are. No, The Endless Summer is not profound or thought-provoking cinema, but one aspect of it is undeniable: It's fun. Sometimes that's more than enough.
on June 20, 2016
The sound track is definitely improved, really good . The visual has more detail with better color, but still as expected, grainy .In the first ten minutes of the film there seems to have audio glitches; not noticeable on original DVD. Ordered another copy hoping the glitches disappear .
This was a hard one to review. As a surfer, I could remember growing up and watching this movie hardcore and when I saw it on DVD, I wanted to buy it but lo and behold...I saw the back logo..."Image entertainment" which to DVD collectors know as a company that puts the movie on DVD, no extras, simple scene selections and that's it.
I was so upset to find out that there was nothing else. Not even a trailer. Geez... I was hoping that Bruce Brown would have some cool footage...gag reels or something for this DVD release. Of course, I recommend the DVD over the VHS but in this case...the main benefit from buying this DVD over the VHS is that you know it's not going to degrade from watching it many times.
I love this movie...I love it! But the DVD should have more...
I give the movie an A+ but the DVD a D due to the lack of special features and nothing else but the movie. DVD fans expect more these days but I guess when you get an Image Entertainment DVD, not to have your hopes set so high.
If you haven't seen the movie or you are a fan and has a VHS that is degrading due to watching it so many times, check out the DVD version!
on May 11, 2011
Even after all these years this movie is still a whole lot of fun for anyone who's ever considered surfing. It's also interesting to see the different cultures, vehicles, & types of dress (remember when flying was a BIG deal & everyone got really dressed-up?!?). I took my then 10-year old son to see this film in a theater during a local "Surf Festival" and it has been a favorite ever since! When I heard a "special Edition" was coming out I knew I had to get it for him!

My sons (now 15 & 8) aboslutely LOVE this movie, and couldn't wait to show it to their friends! The "extras" really added to the story. We actually met Robert August at a local surfing contest (we are not surfers, yet, but spend a lot of our summer at the beach); he was very friendly and took a few minutes to talk to the boys about surfing & the movie and sign their t-shirts.

I would highly recommend this movie for anyone who's ever spent time at the shore.
on July 20, 2017
This is such a classic, the first surf docu I think. I had the a VHS that I got at a garage sale but it died and this DVD is awesome. If you are into surfing this is a must see and the surfing and locals are amazing. Surfs up!
on May 30, 2017
The re-master of this classic surfing film is beautifully vivid. It's a whole new different experience than when I first saw this in a drive-in movie, and more vivid and sharper than the previous version DVD.
on May 7, 2014
I did not surf, but grew up in the surf culture in Santa Barbara, CA and spent most of my summers on the beach. I remember watching "The Endless Summer" during movie night in high school around 1969, maybe 1970. Some forty years later, the surfing scenes are still wonderful, Bruce Brown's folksy narration still has its charm, and the sometimes cheesy story about surfers chasing the perfect wave still works. The other two DVD's in this collection are well worth watching, so if you have an interest in surfing, this is a must-have box set.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 4, 2017
Absolute classic. See what life was like with the surfing set before I phones, computers and the JFK assassination. Life was a little simpler.
on April 6, 2017
This is an excellent replacement for my much-played VHS tape. The transfer is nice and sharp. Endless Summer is forever young and The Sandals' musical score is timeless.