Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by The Lone Bellow Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 46 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 68 reviews
on May 30, 2017
It's only okay unless you're really into the Enneagram concept, written too much like a college thesis, at least to me.. The Enneagram workbook was a better buy and more practical experience.
on May 20, 2001
Approach this as a textbook, rather than as an entertaining read, and you won't be disappointed.
Palmer presents the Enneagram as a systematic map of 9 different personality types that can help people understand and develop their own intuitive styles. An important lesson conveyed is that no single model of psychological health fits every individual. Rather, every type has its own challenges and opportunities. With self-awareness, a person can transform weaknesses and preoccupations into constructive ways of understanding situations.
In her attempt to be systematic, Palmer is often repetitive. She sometimes presents advanced information before she gives the basics. Don't skip the intro, but do read with your own questions in mind.
on October 10, 2013
Very interesting study in understanding the different and diverse personality types of humans. Helps one get inside the brain of others once we determine their personality type. This book can help us to understand why individuals react in different ways to various stimuli. I would have rated this a five; however, I found it difficult to follow at times until I skipped to the section which describes the nine different personality types and read that first, then I could go back and pick up toward the front of the book again.
on September 14, 2016
Haven't read all of it yet but so far find it very informative and interesting.
on August 23, 2017
The beginning of the book is a bit dense, but the type descriptions are spot on.
on October 30, 2016
Detailed and deep insight into the Enneagram Types, though a bit too black and white; it did not support me in recognizing my own type.
on September 10, 2015
One of the most accessible books on the Enneagram - which I now prescribe to all my coaching students. Clear content, engaging style and a very informative read. Thank you Helen for your decades of wisdom and research.
on July 14, 2013
The beginning section is OK, but the 'meat' of the book is unreal! There is absolutely nothing close to the value and understanding offered by this work. An excellent book to keep on as an ongoing reference guide to the way people act and why they make the decisions they do. I just bought an extra copy to give to my friend the other week.
on July 3, 2013
I'm still fairly new to Enneagram (just started in the last 2-3 months) and I wanted to get a much deeper understanding of the Enneagram. I did a quick read through Riso's The Wisdom of the Enneagram and, while I found that book a good introduction and practical, it just didn't really feed me what I was looking for. I'm a deep thinker and when I'm wanting to be really confident in my personality typology (whether enneagram or any really) I want a really thorough understanding of it so that I am sure of what preferences I have and to really understand where I may be habitually blocking myself. What I liked about this book is that the subtypes (and how they look within each type) is well explained. It's not really long (like a couple paragraphs each) but it helped me a lot to see how exactly a one-on-one subtype 9 looks different then a one-on-one subtype 2. This book gave me the clarity I was looking for with that.

Palmer also gives examples of how one type's dynamic is with another type. She doesn't do it for each combination (that'd be a really long read) but enough to get an idea. I feel that Palmer's book Enneagram in Love and Work goes into more depth in that realm.

Overall, I just personally like Palmer's descriptions of the types and the way she explains it. I was trying out several different authors and people who have done research with Enneagram and I've found her descriptions to make the most sense for me.
on April 6, 2016
love it because this book describes why a person becomes a certain personality type