Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Essential EatingWell Cookbook: Good Carbs, Good Fats, Great Flavors (Eating Well)
Workplace Solutions Best Kids' Books of the Year Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Gifts for Him hgg16 Get up to $100 back on House Cleaning services westworld westworld westworld  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Outdoor Gift Ideas on Amazon

Showing 1-10 of 32 reviews(verified purchases). Show all reviews
on April 19, 2005
I'm a little bit of a cookbook junkie, and I'm always on the lookout for cookbooks that emphasize healthy recipes with whole grains, good fats, and low sugar. This book meets and exceeds all those desires. So far, I have made several recipes, and all were delicious. Recipes that I have used have inspired me to experiment based on some of the interesting combinations presented--with great results. The soup and stew recipes are wonderful. I highly recommend this--especially if you have the fear that healthy eating will taste bad, because the recipes in this book will prove you wrong.
I've been a fan of Eating Well magazine for years, so it's no surprise to me that they would produce such an exciting, delicious and usable cookbook. Every recipe is based on real food, not the Frankenfoods that many dieters are used to. The recipes do take some time to prepare, but the outcome is well worth it.

The recipes are perfect for most diet plans, as well as anyone not on a diet that just wants to eat better. South Beachers can use this book, so I'm not sure why the previous reviewer gave it a poor review, especially since she hadn't even browsed the book. Some of the recipes do use white sugar, but there are plenty of recipes in this cookbook to qualify for the South Beach and Sonoma Diets. Weight Watchers are in luck because every recipe includes calories, fat, and fiber counts, so they can easily calculate the points.

This is a cookbook that I would recommend to anyone, not just dieters. Every recipe focuses on flavor and high quality ingredients, and just happen to be reduced calorie. My favorite recipe would be the Mediterranean Burgers with Olive Ketchup. Had it not been for this recipe, I would have never tried millet, a very nutritious whole grain.

I refer to Eating Well magazines and cookbooks at least once a week, usually more often. I've never been disappointed in one of their recipes. I highly recommend this cookbook :)
on March 8, 2006
This book is exactly what is needed for people who are committed to changing their eating habits. The contents are well organized, the logistics are clear, the recipes provide pertinent nutritional information, are easy to follow and give excellent results. As a physician that I am I will most certainly recommend it to patients and friends. Congratulations on the team work!
on April 18, 2006
If you care about the nutritional value of your meals, but don't want to sacrifice flavor this book is a gem. So far I have made several different recipes and I have been pleased with the results. I recommend adding extra herbs and spices for those of you who are "flavor-junkies" like me.

The baked goods are not super sweet, but at least they are good and you can eat them relatively guilt-free. Buy the book, experiment a little, and feel good about what you're eating!
on September 12, 2009
I bought this book about a year ago and I use it all the time. I am not the kind of person who cooks or eats "low-fat" meaning that I use butter sometimes, I use cheese and I like my food to be flavorful. I do, however, also like my food to be healthy in the sense that it provides me with plenty of vitamins, nutrients, fiber and heart-healhty fats. This book is exactly that. Firstly, I like the fact that they talk about "good and bad" carbs and "good" fats. They not only explain to you what this means and how to live by it but they include nutritional information for each and every recipe so that you can see how ingredients affect nutrition. It has taught me a lot and since buying this book I have been able to stem out further with my own ideas and recipes.

I also lived out of the country for awhile, and another thing I love about this book is that the ingredients are easy to find. I notice that many vegitarian or healhty food books include a number of hard (yet not impossible) ingredients that when living in the states is fine, but in foreign lands are often not feasible.

The book also features a few info pages that help you to understand general cooking methods. These include;6 smart snacks, stock essentials, essential grain-cooking guide, essential vegetable-roasting guide, essential greens-cooking guide,essential chicken saute, and a few on desserts.

Overall I truly feel that this is an essential cookbook for anyone who simply wants to eat healthy. There are plenty of vegitarian options and meat options throughout the book to keep both parties happy. If I had to say one negative on the book its that there are very few pictures, and I just love looking at delicious meals to inspire my cooking.
Purchased this book for myself as a gift when finally deciding to devote time to a healthier lifestyle.

Have tried many of the recipes and found quite a few that we like to make over and over again like the roasted fish and potatoes, Vietnamese grilled chicken, spicy yogurt chicken, peach raspberry cobbler and more. It was actually this cookbook that first suggested to us that we cook corn on the cob on our grill, inside the husk -- and we no longer cook it any other way! We often use the vegetarian dishes to create excellent side dish offerings for our table.

Have given the cookbook as a gift to family and friends, with great success.

If you are looking for a cookbook of this nature, we really recommend that you give this one a try. It is the compilation of the best-of-the-best from EatingWell magazine, and you will not regret giving this cookbook a go.
on February 2, 2012
I started a road to better health and wellness about 6 months ago. The problem I started running into was that I didn't really know how to cook in a healthy way (not low fat and no carbs) but healthy fat and healthy carbs so I went looking for a tool to help me out. I found this cookbook. I bought the book about a month ago and I have in the time made about 14 recipes. Every single one of them so far have been flavorful, delicious and fun to prepare. I make the multi-grain waffles every Sunday and freeze the rest for the remainder of the week and I love them. They are my new favorite thing.

The stuffed chicken breast with its dijon mustard was beyond what I thought it would be in taste, so good. The cornbread, biscuits all easy and good. My favorite veggie dish has been the green beans with carmalized onions. I really recommend this. I am losing weight so I need to keep my calories in check, most cookbooks have food that per serving just doesn't work with my calorie goals but this book, everything is well within my calorie needs.

Buy it, you will not regret it.
on January 14, 2008
If you are looking for a myriad of tasty meals: appetizers, soups, salads, sides, main entrees and holiday menus that guests will rave about and ALL of the recipies are healthy, this is the cookbook for you. I have purchased several copies and given them away as gifts as my friends have complimented me on my dishes. My secret was this cookbook. Many of the meals are easy although there are some that are moderate or more complicated. Regardless of your cooking level, take the chance and learn to eat and cook well -- Bon appetite!
on April 22, 2014
When I was being treated for cancer in Vermont five years ago, all of the Eating Well Cookbooks were sold in the hospital bookstore. Because the University of Vermont Medical/Nutritional departments were instrumental in setting up the program with Eating Well, I bought two of them.
Now I have added this one as well. They are wonderfully healthy, and very tasty menus and recipes. While I use many other cook books that offer decadent desserts and buttery high calories when I am in the mood for it, I still cook from the Eating Well series regularly, because they have very good recipes and I enjoy the food! By the way, this particular cook book
is a collection of 350 recipes from all of their other books (and new recipes as well) that were voted most popular, and favorites of the editors and staff of Eating Well.
Cheryl

Cheryl
on September 6, 2013
Book is very useful for those looking for variety and taste while on a limited calorie diet. All of Eating Well's books provide calorie information with each recipe.