Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Essential HR Handbook: A Quick and Handy Resource for Any Manager or HR Professional
Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Water Sports

on August 24, 2008
I found this book to be a wonderful quick reference. I would recommend it - not only for HR professionals - but for managers and supervisors as well. It will help managers to start off on the right foot with new hires, prevent potentially sticky situations, and is a great resource for issues that might arise. The case examples are great. It's concise and to the point. I found the section on performance evaluations particularly helpful.
on September 9, 2008
I heard about this nifty little book from a friend and, although I've been in HR for nearly 30 years and read too many texts and popular "how-to" books on the subject, decided to give it a read.

Well, even for an old hand like myself, I was impressed. The authors have made this a concise, readable book - truly a Handbook. It covers all the essential topics in an organized fashion that makes it easy on the reader to find the answers quickly without a lot of legalese to get in the way. I really like the sample documents they've included. The new manager or seasoned HR professional will appreciate having these examples to adapt and use.

I highly recommend it to anyone in the field or who has the responsibility of managing others in the workplace. Bravo!

Paul Shibelski, SPHR, GPHR
on February 2, 2011
I received this book from the publisher at request to review the book. As an HR professional with more than 10 years of experience in the industry I was looking forward to reading it. I was left a little disappointed. I think on the surface this a good book with some good resources for the entry level HR professional and manager who is really looking to learn about how to write a proper performance review. Most (managers) aren't willing to give the time which is very sad because the review process is a great way to build on communication and provide your employees with clear directives and understanding about what really is expected.

I felt like some of the suggested dialogue wasn't as realistic as it could have been. This is one place where I think the book could have took this a little further offering a CD or online resources like podcasts that provide the managers with some role playing scenarios where they could hear the proper way to talk to their team before, during, and after a performance evaluation. This makes the discussion more realistic and offers a way to practice before the performance review through hearing and not just seeing.

This book has 69 pages of forms which seems to be a large percentage of the book. I thought that it was a good resource but would have liked to see the book to provide in the CD or on the website a place to download the templates either for free or for further purchase. Websites like SHRM offer free toolkits and it would be nice for a book like this if some of these forms were included so the human resource managers don't have to recreate the wheel every time. I say this because I have held a number of HR training sessions and employee training program seminars with managers and HR professionals, having forms and access to information in different mediums is so important in learning especially for those eager managers who really want to do better at communicating with their employees.

Jessica Miller-Merrell
CEO of Xceptional HR
Author of Tweet This! Twitter for Business
[...]
on August 5, 2008
Need a list of questions for interviewing job applicants? Need guidelines on how to coach an employee in meeting performance goals? Need answers to all those pesky HR issues and problems you encounter every day? Then buy this book and you'll be set! The handy index makes it easy to find information on any HR issue you face. Every manager, business owner, and HR professional will want to have this book in their office as a reference.

Membership director for various associations, 20+ years experience
Washington, DC
on September 21, 2010
I purchased this book from Amazon as an additional reference and study guide, as I am going to be taking the PHR exam this winter. While it's not the ideal study guide for the PHR, I was very impressed with the book. It packs a lot of content and real-world examples into one slim volume. It gives you checklists you can quickly put to use and I have already made use of the behavior-based interview question examples in chapter 2 on recruiting. I also plan to use the vendor selection criteria used in chapter 11 on technology, since we are in the market for a new applicant tracking system. The book consists of chapters written by various HR subject matter experts, who are currently practicing in the field. They understand what it is to be an HR practitioner in a constantly changing and challenging field. I am keeping this book on my shelf at work for future reference. My biggest pet peeve with the book was the high number of typos it contained. A better job of proofreading for the misspellings and typos would have benefited the book greatly.
on November 28, 2015
A very basic guide to HR. I purchased this, after having basic HR experience for a few months. This is really more of an overview of what you can expect in a career for HR, rather than a how-to guide. Great if you're thinking of going into HR and want an overview, not great for the working HR professional.
on April 21, 2013
It is a quick reference for the little details you may have forgotten from school. This book is fantastic because it is easy to find what I need when I need it! It is outlined in an easy to follow and find format and has examples that can be modified and applied to almost any company and/or situation.
on November 18, 2008
As a training and workforce development professional who doesn't have direct experience with the various other responsibilities and concerns that my human resource colleagues must juggle, I have found 'The Essential HR Handbook' to be extremely helpful with the overview it provides.
I would have liked to have seen more substance in the diversity section -- but then, that's at least in part due to my professional bias as a diversity trainer.
Overall, this book is a little gem in an easy read format, quick and to the point -- and we busy folks like that! I highly recommend it!
on April 13, 2009
For small business owners and or initial students of HR practices, this book is an essential reference guide. It clearly lays out all the traps and stumbling blocks so that you can either do something about them or connect with a professional to get you through them. In my office, this book is easily within my reach.
on April 7, 2015
It is a good book for managers who are getting their feet wet. Very broad data points but it is a good refresher for managers to remind them of their roles. If you want the how to version for HR this is not it.