Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 120 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 151 reviews
on October 2, 2013
Honestly, when I heard his music several years ago, I couldn't understand his music (turns out, you don't have to understand it; it doesn't make sense anyway), and thus never thought of him since. Until recently, though, I heard about his "Apocalypse" tour, featuring a song I instantly recognized as I heard the original before: "Smells Like Nirvana", which obviously parodies Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit". But still, I still didn't give it much thought.

Two or three years later, a random thought of him made me decide to listen to some samples on iTunes. I sampled "Smells Like Nirvana", previously mentioned, and was EXPLODING with laughter, partly to the fact that it pokes fun at Kurt Cobain's "unintelligible" lyrics to almost EVERY song he wrote. I knew I was hooked instantly (mostly to the fact I like comedy, such as Jeff Dunham's), and went ahead and bought this. I was more than just laughing.

I was EXPLODING WITH IT!

One thing I like about this compilation is that he can parody almost any song, and still have room for originals. Also, most of the lyrics to his songs actually MATCH the title. And getting the original guys from "Ridin'" to sing on "White & Nerdy", and rapping so fast, you almost need lyrics... or is that actually HIM singing in the chorus?

You can listen to this album 100+ times and STILL enjoy it. Yeah, sure, laughing may wear off in time, but it is STILL pretty darn funny even if it gets old.

The opening track, "Another One Rides the Bus", his very first song, got me laughing pretty good, especially when he says "There's a suitcase poking me in the rib/There's an elbow in my ear". This is definitely a favorite of mine. (In case I need to explain, it pokes fun at Queen's "Another One Bites the Dust".)

The song "Fat" (poking fun at Michael Jackson's "Bad", who even shot the video for the parody), takes obesity to extremes, with lines like "At the movies/I take up seven rows" and "When you're having seconds/I'm having twenty-thirds", but keeps it leveled and funny.

"Smells Like Nirvana" (mentioned earlier) pokes fun at Kurt Cobain and the lyrics he writes that aren't the understandable type. (Didn't I mention that earlier?) My favorite part of the song is when he gargles as the first part of the "solo".

"Amish Paradise" is one of my favorites. It's funny, but with respect to the Amish. My favorite line: "A local boy kicked me in the butt last week/I just smiled at him, and I turned the other cheek/I really don't care, in fact I wish him well/"Cause I'll be laughing my head off when he's burning in Hell."

"White & Nerdy", perhaps an all-time favorite, finds himself rapping so fast, you can't understand half the lyrics. (From what I got out of it, I remember "I can sure kick your butt in a game of Ping-Pong", "I got my name written on my underwear", "You see me roll on my segue", something about being "whiter than sour cream", and a few more verses.)

"Albuquerque" is almost 11 1/2 minutes long; be prepared for commentary on being force-fed sauerkraut, a plane crash, a box of one dozen starved crazed weasels, a woman named Zelda, and a job at the Sizzler.

The song "Canadian Idiot" parodies Green Day's "American Idiot" while seeming to keep the original music and voice pitch the same. Definitely a favorite.

"Bedrock Anthem" is a Flinstone-era song and definitely has the riff and voice pitch of the Red Hot Chili Peppers song "Give It Away Now". "Yabba-Dabba-Yabba-Dabba-Dabba-Doo Now!" (That about says how I enjoy it.)

"E-Bay" (originally "I Want It That Way", by the Backstreet Boys) probably isn't the funniest Weird Al song I love, but it's still enjoyable ("Tell me why I need another pet rock" and "I'll buy a slightly damaged golf bag" are my favorite lines).

I will mention one more, since you might be getting bored with reading this review: "I'll Sue Ya", which shows Weird Al's metal side. I simply love the fact that he says he's going to sue various companies for stupid but hilarious reasons. Favorite lines: "I sued Duracell, 'cause they didn't tell me not to shove that double-A right up my nose"; "I sued Fruit of the Loom, 'cause when I wear those tighty-whities on my head, I look like a jerk!"; and "I sued Taco Bell, 'cause I ate half a million chillupas, and I got fat!" (Can someone please explain the "Ben Affleck" one to me?)

Bottom line: If you asked me who is the best comedian, I'll say, "Weird Al Yankovic. Try it out; you'll laugh.
on March 16, 2016
An excellent compilation of both his hits and overlooked work.

Those unfamiliar with his earliest recordings may be surprised by their low technical quality. Al started out playing a solo accordion in low tech recording environment. Many found out about him from the syndicated "Dr. Demento" radio show in the 1970s. After acquiring a full band his music was much more technically proficient. Purchasers can see the evolution of a one-man accordion parody song writer to a full band with solid playing ability doing song parodies.
on August 3, 2014
because I can't say a week's worth of mea culpas. But yes... I confess -- and don't tell anyone I know...but I've always enjoyed the way Weird Al can rip away all pretentiousness from popular music and make you...umm..snort. Warning, this is a 2 CD set. It's best played one CD at a time, because if you play both, the sounds become intertwined and your eyes will cross and you might develop post-nasal drip. Wait a day before playing the second CD. The most critical thing I can say is..never listen to Weird Al if you are drinking a hot drink, or are eating something, no matter how healthy. Ok, I've admitted my secret guilty pleasure. I pray that my grown children never find this CD in my glove box. Guess l'll never get into heaven now!

But life is to short not to laugh, and we ALL really need a laugh right now..so dare to be stupid, and have a smile.
on June 30, 2017
great gift for hubby
on December 25, 2009
In one collection you get to sample the full range of Al Yankovic's music over his career. Some of them are there for the historical record, others because they are his most popular songs, some because they are his best. If you are a Weird Al fan, this is an easy and simple way to get a broad collection of his songs. If you are a new listener, this is a great way to sample the full range of his work. Listening to both CDs from start to finish takes you on a time travel trip through the wonderful world of Al's parody. Once you've stopped laughing at the witty lyrics and brilliant parodies, you can also appreciate Al's (and his band's) talent as composer and performer as well. Thanks for the many hours of enjoyment, Al!
on May 4, 2016
Essential compilation of his work! Completists, don't miss the extended "Night Santa Went Crazy!"
on February 26, 2010
Definitely 'The' essential album! We bought this album for our young daughters whom we had shared our fond memories of listening to the parody songs of the legendary Weird Al and they wanted to discover his musical genius for themselves. They are hooked! This album has all the memorable 80's classics along with some more contemporary parodies to popular mainstream media/medium (e.g.-BackStreet Boys, Forrest Gump). If you are looking for a compilation album featuring Weird Al, this is it. From "Eat It" to "Ebay", you'll be singing along and laughing your head off simulatenously! Warning: This album is NOT for people who take life way too serious- then again, maybe this is EXACTLY for those people!
on May 15, 2017
This is a fantastic compilation of this talented and funny man's music. I highly recommend this album.
on March 30, 2017
Son loves it!
on March 6, 2016
weird als the man I love every thing he does but my fav is the song then spend one more night with you I believe its called been a while since I originally heard it though new