Lyft Industrial Deals Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Alexa on Mobile PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-10 of 121 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 192 reviews
on July 19, 2017
This is the third book in a trilogy that was thoroughly engaging and I was sorry to see it end. Not for the casual sci-fi reader, it has a solid underpinning of hard science that will satisfy your inner-geek. Hamilton's cosmos and characters are complex although one can get a little lost in the beginning trying to keep everything sorted but all matches up nicely in the end. I've become a true fan which is saying a lot for me because I'm very critical of writers who are equated with the likes of Isaac Asimov but, while not in the same strata as Asimov (who could be?), Hamilton clearly has a handle on the scope, depth, and extrapolation of civilizations in the distant future.
on January 20, 2013
Sadly, this book didn't stand up to its predecessors (The Dreaming Void,The Temporal Void). Those were pretty good, and this is not substantially worse, but while those were full of interesting ideas and a good balance of SF and fantasy, this one was a little more of a slog.

In the first two books, I found it hard to keep track of the various actors, who was behind them, and who was connected to whom and how. In this book, it was no easier, but I got tired of trying, and just stopped caring. There were simply so many undifferentiated factions that I lost interest in what they wanted. Also, while the first book mentions 'historical' characters, and the second book brings some in, this third book draws on them with a vengeance, leaving me to think that only a fan of Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained) could really get the full benefit of the book. For me, having not read those, it was simply too much.

Edeard plays an important though lesser part in the book, but I still found his treatment of Salrana not credible, or at least not attractive. Since we're meant to hold him in high regard, that's a significant weak point. The fantasy elements of the book overall were less fun - more political and less convincing than in the first book. They read more as an exercise in careful authorial speculation than as actual narrative.

Hamilton does make a point of tying up loose ends, but he does so with a pretty hefty dose of deus-ex-machina - lots of sages causing unspecified magic to happen, usually while calling on one of those historical figures who just happens to have special powers and still be around.

All in all, it's a decent book, and an acceptable conclusion to the trilogy. I'd still recommend all three books. However, the end is substantially less satisfying than I originally hoped it would be.
This is the third and final novel in the Void trilogy which follows up on the author's Commonwealth Saga, set 1,200 years after the conclusion of the final book in that series, Judas Unchained. While it is not strictly necessary to have read the two books in the Commonwealth Saga, since immortality essentially exists in this future, the books contain many common characters and story threads despite the passage of many centuries. It is, however, necessary to have read the first two books in the Void trilogy, The Dreaming Void and The Temporal Void, as this is a direct continuation of those works.

In this Hamilton epic, the Commonwealth has expanded and evolved, circumnavigating the galaxy, discovering many new sentient species and a phenomenon referred to as The Void, a micro-universe, protected by an event horizon. One human has managed to pass into The Void and return, setting off a religious awakening called The Living Dream. The adherents of this religion wish to undertake a mass pilgrimage into the Void, potentially setting off a chain of events which could lead to destruction of the known universe. Mayhem predictably ensues as different human and alien factions position themselves in an attempt at self-preservation and in some cases evolution.

In this continuation of the action introduced by The Dreaming Void and The Temporal Void, the author brings together the various story threads for a conclusion to the series. Previous Hamilton works, in my experience, have tended to lose steam and bog down around 2/3 of the way through the story, but this work maintained my interest level through its roughly 1900 pages. I found the ending to be perfectly satisfactory and a fitting conclusion to what is essentially a 5,000 page magnum opus. If you have a couple of months to kill, you could do far worse.
on May 31, 2017
I really want to like any space opera I read. Alas, Peter Hamilton has the habit of writing 5 act space operas with period piece novelty acts performing during the intermissions. His books aren't bad, per se--I've read most of them without anyone forcing me--but they're so bloated that they're difficult to read back to back. One suspects that he could write single volumes that cover either the space opera or the period piece scifi, and that these stand-alone books would be better for the scalpel.
on May 15, 2017
Hamilton's pattern is this: write a very long tedious set of sections where practically nothing happens, followed by an all-too-brief section with some action in it. In these books most of the interesting writing is in the story-within-a-story that is presented as a series of dreams. They constitute a minority of the book, so most of it is pretty dull.
on August 24, 2017
I know this type of book isn't everyone's cup of tea, but this author is consistently amazing. His characters and the depth of his writing pull you in to the story. Unlike so many authors published today, Peter F Hamilton is a wordsmith. He has his own brand of geek humor, and his storyline is enormous, and insanely entertaining.
on February 10, 2014
books one and two of the trilogy started off well then quickly got mired down in details to the point i almost forgot the main storyline. i had to make myself finish those two. thank goodness the final book in the series is so much better than the first two. it sticks close to the main story and main characters. it doesn't go off on tangents that have little or nothing to do with the story and p.f. hamilton also is able to maintain and quite well i might add a "can't wait to see whats on the next page" type feeling. to be honest you could probably skip books one and two and just read this one and do just fine.
on August 10, 2016
This has been such a thoroughly enjoyable read. I read the Commonwealth Saga first and was eager for more stories set in this universe. The Dreaming Void (book 1) was terrific and had me hooked immediately. The Temporal Void (Book 2) set up the rest the story but was my least favorite of the three. The Evolutionary Void is a great payoff and very entertaining. I loved the mix of classic Fantasy/magic on Querencia and sprawling Space Opera outside the void. My biggest complaint is that it is over and there's no book 4.
on February 9, 2014
I am fond of Hamilton's writings and the "Void" series is no exception. Hundreds of characters, each one of them acting very human manage to stumble their way to victory against all odds. In this story, the enemy is the Void, which if it continues to expand, will take out the galaxy. A cast of characters, some new, some from his earler trilogy beginning with Pandora's Star, work together, or sometimes at odds to find a way to stop the Void from expanding (or help it along). And for the first time, Hamilton addresses a hot SF topic called "the singularity" by some, but by him, "post-physical existence." Though I have issues with the idea of "post-physical existence" I still enjoy a good yarn, and this was one of those. Why then only four stars? Well, the story drags at times and if he managed to lob off say 200 pages, the story would have been long enough. Still, that didn't keep me from finishing this good book, and neither will it keep me from purchasing other Hamilton works in the future.

If you are a somewhat harried individual who must take his SF in quick bites, this book (and the previous two for that matter) is not for you. But if you have the time and the inclination, buy this book and read it (but read the first two in the series first, and read the previous three books if you have not done so yet...they will provide valuable information on just about everyone and everything). I promise you a really fun ride as well as a book that will stimulate your thinking and your imagination.
on October 22, 2012
The final book of the Void Trilogy finally released me, as I just couldn't stop reading. I'm not an authority in science fiction, but I would brand myself a real fan of the genre.

Nothing surpasses Frank Herbert, as a purely personal opinion, considering I read the complete Dune series at least 11 times so far, but I have this funny feeling I will read the whole Void trilogy a second time just for the fun of it.

Now for some, the comparison would not stand, as Herbert is a giant in the science-fiction landscape and had it not been for the exceedingly irritating typos that distracted the hell out of my concentration while I was breezing through the Void, I would dare state that Hamilton has the goods as well.

I wouldn't be able to name 10 science-fiction authors if you put a gun to my head, how's that for a huge paradox coming from someone who states he is a science-fiction fan? I can think of Frank Herbert, David Brin, Isaac Asimov and Kevin J. Anderson. Finally I can now add Peter Hamilton to my list, which adds up to five.

I'm a bit peeved as well, because I would like to give this work a 4 and a half stars rating and I don't know how to do it or if it is even possible.