Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 180 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 217 reviews
on August 12, 2017
hello,
having grown up in the same time period, but on the west coast, there wasn't much of the prejudice as in the south and east. football will always be a national sport and stars will always be on the fore front. understanding human kindness and acceptance was the first step in being accepted in all of society. there are still barriers for a lot of people and that is awful, being that we are in 2017. but for the majority of the people those barriers have changed for the better. this movie was pretty accurate and was extremely fun to watch the real life scenes for those in the east and south. the east and south temperament? not our cup of tea, that is for sure.

a great movie and storyline
on August 31, 2016
My previous greatest football movies are two <ANY GIVEN SUNDAY><REMEMBER THE TITANS>. Well that just have been changed the moment I saw this movie.
You better grab this bluray cause it's just stupidly 5.11$ and that price is just redunculous. The visual/ audio quality is top notch and you won't ever go back to dvd again if you watch this one. And most of all this is the best sports movie ever in my life. NA, let me rephrase, one of the best.
Of course there is <ROCKY> unbeatable film and all.

The story is about this Afro -African guy who dies at the age of so young 23 who shines so bright for such a short time as a foogball player.
Behind him was another great coach Nennis Quaid a white guy a tough bastard but is ok dude whom everyone will fall in love if got to know him well.

Most of all the camera usage is just stunning and you will die for it. It almost remnded me of the car race movie <RUSH> the best movie that has the best camera work ever. Yes this movie was that good.

And then There is Dennis Quaid the great actor that will blow your mind. He is a passionate coach who wants to make this new comer Rob Brown somwwhat invisible but looking back is humorous but charming to look at. Not to flamboyant but stand out enough to want to see again and again kind of actor.
And also is the great beauty Nicole Beharie a chocolate coated SADE kind of girl whom you cannot deny but to fall in love.
But most of all the game sequences are pure stunning to look at.
True heartbeat that you will feel like sitting at the edge of the seat.
The there is this moment when the great player finds out that he is having this desease that he cannot beat.
He's been throught so many things for his position for chist sake.
The prejusice from White people the money the support, the everything beyond.

Now that he is playing well, he is facing death.

But then again he's got nothing to loose.
There comes aglong another new comer saying you are my dream my hero.
He says don't be another me. You be another you. Be a great guy not pretend to be another me. Don't chase my shadow because it's gonna be another shadow that you cannot keep. Something like that.

He was a great guy a great player that you should remember and this movie made him as such.
on November 27, 2012
it is unfortunate that parts of this movie, for example, the Syracuse-West Virginia game, which took place in Syracuse, are not historically accurate, because this is a great movie, juxtaposing Ernie's youth and football career with the emerging civil rights movement and the struggle for racial equality. Rob Brown as Davis captures the courage and dignity of Ernie, whether battling racism or fighting leukemia. Several of Ernie's teammates from Syracuse were interviewd about the movie and although they praised Dennis Quaid's performance as their ex-coach they were dismayed at the scene depicting the W.V.-S.U. game, in which Coach pulled Davis, leading to words between them. NEVER HAPPENED and did not portray the player-coach relationship accurately. The special features with interviews with Jim Brown, and teammat John Brown and other teammates are a nice bonus. Great jobs by Charles Dutton, as Ernie's grandfather and Quaid. Football scenes were well done. I am surprised this movie did not do better at the box office. I would have given it 5 stars but I deducted a star because of the historic inaccuracies depicted in the movie.
on October 28, 2016
This is probably one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. It's better than any other football movie. If you love football it's great. If you love historical drama it's great. If you love acting it's great. It truly has just become a movie that makes my top 3 ever. DO NOT overlook this movie. I can't express it enough. Chances are you did a search for "Football movies" on amazon and this comes up. Skip the "maybe" movies, the stupid high school based movies (although a few are good) and rent this. It's so good I almost immediately REWATCHED IT! I don't get paid to write reviews, and rarely do. But this one was worth it.
on July 7, 2009
The young, stuttering Ernie Davis posts a picture of Jackie Robinson on his wall - "this man is doing alot without sayin' nothin." Then Ernie goes on to run his highschool football team to victories & Syracuse University to a National Championship title game in Texas, a bastion of prejudice in the deep south.

I bought this movie as my Papa's Fathers Day gift (Football theme- a sure bet!) but the whole family enjoyed the movie (which we've seen twice already - it's that good!) Acting is superb - the young actor who plays Ernie actually looks like the real Ernie - the football sequences are excellent, & the terrible prejudices all too real. Dennis Quaid plays the Syracuse coach extremely well...all about football, but gradually realizing (through Ernie) that so much more is at stake.

Outstanding movie of overcoming...overcoming hate, prejudice, and even indifference..through being the best God made Ernie Davis to be..a football player who leads his team to victory & wins the Heisman Trophy - making history. Sad to see the ending (will not give away..) but even in that, a good point for family discussion (life can't be all about just one thing - football..)

Highly recommend -- plus enjoyed the DVD special feature interviews with the real Jim Brown, Ernie Davis family, actors et all..
on March 22, 2017
Great story. So sad.
on March 21, 2016
Excellent Movie, captures the true essence of the time in which Earnie Davis - 1st African American to be awarded the Heisman Trophy!
on August 21, 2009
Being a football fan I am ashamed to say I didn't know this story before seeing the film. I did have some knowledge of this tragedy, but I didn't know the full story. This is a gripping biography about a young man who never got the chance to reap the rewards for his hard work and perseverance through a time when this county didn't see blacks as people. It's hard to believe this was only 60 years ago! It's really appalling how we treated certain people in those days and it's only been in the last 20 years when we have even begun to put this practice in the garbage where it belongs.

The film follows the life of football running back Ernie Davis who has such an inspiring, but ultimately sad story of how he overcame many hard ships to become an incredible running back and model sportsman. The film has a great balance of football heroics and compelling drama and should keep any movie fan interested during its two hour running time.

Excellent performances and realistic action make this a winner from start to finish! I would love to see a film about Barry Sanders that was handled this well. Although Sander's story isn't nearly this sad, it's really one that should be told, you don't have to win the Superbowl to be a winner!.....Hollywood are you listening?
on February 20, 2013
I love the movie! I have seen it before, many times, and have tried to find it for years. Amazon was the only place that I could find it available. The movie itself is based on the true story of Ernie Davis and it always makes me cry.

Finding this on Amazon was a bonus because I have always had good experiences here. The package came quickly and without any damage. The movie was brand new, not used, so I was even more enticed to buy it from here. Frankly, my rating for the movie is also a rating for Amazon and their amazing ability to ship products timely, efficiently, and without defects.
on July 29, 2013
I was unaware of the Ernie Davis story and I was encouraged and moved by the film. Even though the movie did not stay true to the real story, the issues that Mr Davis faced were the same. I used clips from this movie for my At the Movies series at church and was able to address issues like racism, courage, understanding your calling and seeing past the moment that we are in.