Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 16 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 21 reviews
on March 11, 2014
I admit, I am one of "those people" who has been known to thumb casually through a dictionary, "just for fun". A good dictionary is essentially a fascinating collision of menu and short-story collection, and not just a simple reference.

"The F Word" is an intense version of that experience: many entries are quite rich in history, and it is easy to treat this dictionary as if it were, in fact, an impressively focused work of postmodern fiction.

But it is, in fact, a dictionary. And one that appears to be the product of a significant amount of research. It has occupied a prominent position on my shelf for a couple years now, and I find myself still coming back to it over and over again.

Also: it makes for a fantastic presented for any profane word nerds in your life.
on July 2, 2016
I reviewed this book for my graduate level English Linguistics class. It's a dictionary of f-words and I used the f-work like 69 times in my ten-page book report. I loved my report so much that I emailed it to the author, Jesse Sheidlower. Still waiting on his opinion. Anyway, if your Linguistics or English professor is cool in the least, they'll let you review this for any reason.
on May 21, 2015
Now I understand what Occupy really means sometimes. Laugh Out Loud!! Great service. Item arrived as promised.
on July 29, 2013
I use this word. It is versatile, compelling and above all else it still retains a power other words do not convey. This is a dictionary, a compendium of information about the word. It is well written and well researched.
on July 4, 2012
This book is F-ing fantastic. I have never spent so many precious hours delighting in lexicography as I have reading this book (not to suggest that lexicography is in any way boring). So many examples of "F-word" compounds come from the Australian military. Curious. You should f-ing read this book.
on January 5, 2017
My cousin loved it!
on October 16, 2015
A fun resource for your foul-mouthed friends.
on July 10, 2014
This is simply a dictionary of the word and its many uses. I had hoped for a more discursive approach.
on January 13, 2013
This title is a dictionary and contains many uses of the titular word and stand-ins that can take its place. There were a few that I did not know but by and large there were no surprises, which in itself might count as one but still, I did expect to learn something.

The introduction definitely held some potential, but then was all too short. Certainly, it covered a fair bit of ground but could have done so much more. Actually trace usage across languages or influences from other languages are either missing or glossed over. Granted it makes excuses on these fronts but given I am fluent in German I know there is more that could be talked about. And similarly, there could have been more exploration of taboo words and across other cultures. This however is not that book, and really that was what it left me wondering about.

Rather, this contains some uses I suspect most English speakers will know, intuitively perhaps :) . Also, despite claims to greater awareness outside of American uses, it definitely lacked some uses we have in Australia, and although these were not so missed, it did draw this US focus into focus.

Overall, this book is a gimmick, possibly a primary reference for a very select audience, but not something one would refer to often, and thus defeating its primary purpose. Certainly not a complete waste so much as a missed opportunity, not just for the reader but also the editor.
on January 26, 2015
I thought this would be more entertaining.... I skimmed through it once and haven't picked it up since. That was about 2 years ago.