Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Amazon's Choice Computers Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts STEM Book House Cleaning henriettalacks henriettalacks henriettalacks  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 93 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 117 reviews
on May 10, 2013
I recommend this book to anyone who wants to understand how we as a society got to where we are now, both economically and politically. This a well documented exposition of how we went from being a democracy to a kleptocracy in the few short decades since Nixon closed the "gold window" in 1971. The wealth is now systematically transferred from the 99.9% to the .1%. Political structures have been implemented to undermine the constitution so the banksters will be able to defend themselves with police and military might should the people get fed up with the ongoing theft. He spends a lot of time documenting how globalization has intentionally off-shored a large portion of manufacturing and other high tech jobs and work visa programs have been implemented so that foreign workers can come in and under cut American workers to improve the profits for corporations. The only segments of the work force that are largely immune are waiters, bartenders, retail clerks, and some health care providers. The informed reader will already be aware of most of these trends, but Roberts provides detail to fill in the blanks on how it has been accomplished so seamlessly, with nary a whimper from the public. They continue to tell us the economy and the jobs picture is improving. What they don't tell us is that the middle class is being gutted and the income disparities continue to widen with each passing year. I think all Americans should read this book as a civic duty.
on January 13, 2017
Excellent book of TRUTH!
It ought to tell you something when a Reagan conservative and a Christian left-of-center Progressive (me) write basically the same thing: capitalism=good; laissez faire capitalism=greed and disaster for the average person. In my own book, "Class Crucifixion," I came to the same conclusions as Dr. Roberts... his approach starting with fallacies in economic theory, and my approach starting with an expose' of what Jesus REALLY said vs. the misinterpretation by Rightwing demagogues who try to claim GREED is moral (from Ayn Rand to Romney... written before the Trump phenomenon... Trump actually says some truth about the problems with free trade, but of course, his actions are more of the same: supporting the oligarchs and the military-industrial complex). THE 1% ARE KILLING OUR FUTURE, and I applaud Dr. Roberts for calling them out! My book link: Class Crucifixion: Money, Power, Religion and the Death of the Middle Class
on April 1, 2013
PCR is a great patriot and a "refreshing drink of water" in this waste land of highway robbers who masquerade as honest men! How sad that our predatory species has brought ruin to this world. We are the only species that destroys the environment that supports us. I think it's called greed, and it's a design flaw in our creation, one that will cause our demise.
One thing is for sure, Paul Craig Roberts is The Lone Ranger, but he is totally out gunned! It's time to run for the hills partners, PCR has created the "smoke signals" and it's time to get out of Dodge!
on March 5, 2017
Concise presentation of the arguments against globalization, open borders and unrestrained immigration. Rebuts all the nonsense about "free trade" which is really not free trade at all, but labor arbitrage.
on June 26, 2015
It's sad to see what our government has become. I wish Dr. Roberts was still working in the government. But I think he is to honest and has too much integrity to work with most of our politicians.
on March 20, 2017
This is a very good book
on March 28, 2017
ok
on March 16, 2014
I would have given a 4 star rating if the author didnt choose to include ecological points.
The empty world full world arguments seem to make sence ... however if you put in the human innovetion factor ( a significant factor that the author never mentions) you can plausible argue that empty world economist can explain and predict the world given the fact that there are no ecological limits to human innovation.
The full world argument is not valid in my humble optinion.
As for corporations turning america into a 3rd world country by offshoring every decent job out of the country and granting work visas to low paid immigrants...
Well Varoufakis book the "Global Minotaur" explains this process much better and adds some very interesting points missing in this book.
Readers should read Varoufakis Global Minotaur instead of this book.
on March 15, 2013
The Failure Of Laissez Faire Capitalism (And Economic Dissolution Of The West) by Paul Craig Roberts is an excellent expose of the economic crisis of our times, and the more general crisis of capitalism that is bringing globalization to its endgame. Since Roberts was once a Reagan cabinet figure as Assistant Sec. of the Treasury, his take is the more astonishing. Although I am wary of his take on the Euro and/or the future of Germany, the basic thrust of his critique of economics is must reading. We have been sold down the river by the illusory mirages of the economics cadre, the agitprop about free trade, and the parallel rise of the interior fascist state. This is one of the best exposes of both the economic and political deceptions being played on the American public. We are so bemused by capitalist ideology that the shock of discovering the massive distortions of theory required to perpetrate the fiction can be unsettling. Important reading: Kindle only
on March 9, 2013
I am still amazed to read the unvarnished truth from a guy who was Ronnie Regan's assistant secretary of treasury.How far we have fallen in a few decades! Where else does one find such clean truth stated so lucidly. It's too bad one can't obtain such a story without feeling sick at one's stomach. If reincarnation is real, I'm putting my foot down; I' m not coming back as a human again.