Beauty Magazine Deals Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Ultimate Hits by Garth Brooks Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family Now shipping All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

The Family Of Man
Format: Paperback|Change

on October 8, 2016
This was a photo book in my house from the time I was born. I was obsessed with the photos and would look at them often. As I got older I realized more about what this book was about. It shows the circle of life around many different cultures. From the birth of a baby to marriage to a scene of war to death. I bought a copy for my own home because I love this book so much. Many of the photos remind me of the photos that were in my favorite magazine called "Life". It is such a pity that Life is no longer published, but this is a great book of timeless photos to add to your collection.
on July 8, 2017
The Family of Man has been around for many, many years. I had forgotten about my love for this book so I gave it to my children and friends for Mother's Day this year. If you remember this awesome book, buy it again. If you are seeing it for the first time, please purchase. You will be riveted by the words and photos. Good purchase for any occasion.
on March 22, 2014
A stunning collection of images by photojournalists. Beautiful and engaging photographs assembled during the early fifties, this came from jaw-dropping show at The Museum Of Modern Art in New York. It still lives on the pages of this book.

The Family of Man show sparked my passion for capturing photos of people and their gestures and humanity is wildly varied conditions around the world.

--JP

(A photographer during all the intervening years.)
on August 7, 2017
Fantastic photos. I can sit down with a cup of coffee and page through these and not get bored. As it says on the cover, 503 pictures from 68 countries. Well worth the investment! We do, after all, remember moments, not days.
on January 29, 2011
This is a wonderful book that documents one of the best photographic exhibitions in history. During a continental road trip, my friends and I had the opportunity to tour the exhibition in its now home of Clervaux, Luxembourg. We had only planned a brief visit, but became so entranced by the exhibition that we discarded our schedule and spent the entire day touring the exhibition. The staff had to ask us to leave at closing time.

I initially purchases this book as an memento, but have for 7 years used it as an inspirational tool for my creative writing courses. I ask my students to write stories to accompany the photographs--an activity that is always successful and extremely enjoyable. If you enjoy photography exhibitions for the stories they tell (as individual pieces and as a whole collection), I can't recommend this highly enough.

One reviewer suggested that the exhibition is out of date (portraying a 1950s western culture ideal in the face of Communism and nuclear threat). While one cannot argue that the curator, Edward Steichen, was influenced by such a world climate, it in no way detracts from the many emotional and private moments captured by skilled photographers. In fact it enhances it, lending pieces intensity, and anchors the exhibition firmly in history. It seems ridiculous to criticize an exhibition for historic relevancy.

If you are looking for a documentation of an amazing exhibition or just a coffee table book for hours of browsing (or a tool for teaching creative writing ;), 'The Family Of Man' should more than fulfill your needs.
on October 6, 2014
A book that was given to me in 70's as a birthday present by a lovely, young woman. At the time, I was getting into serious photography and it was like seeing that which I wanted to become in one, concise, black-and-white book. Steichen's selection of images is sensitive, globally inclusive,.and represents the best of all eras in photography, When you first see it, you might not be impressed. It is just an old book of black-and-white pictures. If you sit down with a hot cup of coffee and start slowly paging through it and let the images come to you, it might steal the whole evening. Recently, after being separated from the book for 30 years, I repurchased it and still find it as good as ever. Even better, I discovered that the giver, after all this time, is still alive, happy and has had a good life. It is an Edward Steichen thing.
on January 21, 2016
It is even more special than my original copy. I have enjoyed this collection so much, over the years, that I gave this as a gift to someone very
special to me.
on August 23, 2017
If you have never seen these photogrqphs you are really missing something. The book displays them very well. An incredible collection.
on October 19, 2017
Gift for someone special and a replacement for my very own ragged 1965 copy after much enjoyable use. Spectacular global photo historic overview; beautiful, touching photos of human interaction of all natures, from the worst times to the best, during the life cycle. Highly recommend. Excellent service by Seller.
on July 12, 2013
The Museum of Modern Art is responsible for sending the original photographs a Singapore publisher who used top-notch printing techniques and on high-quality paper. and paper was used to create a book of the highest quality today! There is no parallel.
I have read this book oever and over again, first using the one published by a newspaper publishing outfit;and bought copies for my children and my aged grandfather. Since the MMA republished it, all my grandchildren are getting a copy as birthday presents. The meaning of each photograph is easily understood by all cultures, and is a timeless portrayal of life from love, birth, living life and eventually, death.