Oil month Automotive HPC World Book Day Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

The Farmer's Wife: A Film by David Sutherland
Format: DVD|Change

on July 16, 2013
You will want to watch this over and over again. You'll want your friends and family to see it. It will educate and touch you in many ways and on many levels. It will leave you wondering about the rest family (beyond Darrel, Juanita and the children) and their support for this man and his determination to farm the land.
David Sutherland used a few cinemaphotographers during this production- all of which added ambience and visuals effects to this film to set the mood. The music choosen is superb in conveying a sense of melancholy.
Many questions for discussion will remain after watching this film. To farm or not to farm and at what cost to the family- both ecomically and emotionally?
Please Google this film and see what happened to the Buschkoetters after this documentary was made. I hope you will see this very moving film.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon January 6, 2006
If anyone ever wondered what the farming life is like, this documentary reveals how very difficult it can be to survive on a relatively small farm - in today's modern world of high tech farming. It is a gritty, backbreakingly hard life much of the time, waking up at dawn and falling into bed exhausted when all the chores are finally done and dinner has been eaten.

The couple shown in this documentary hold very little back as their marriage is pushed to the brink by the stress of making ends meet, raise a family and just get by. I first saw it back in 1996 and am delighted to be able to purchase it (finally) on DVD.

But be forewarned- this is not an easy film to watch, although it is an honest one. In unflinching detail, the grim reality of trying to "make it" as a farmer is portrayed. There isn't an ounce of romanticism here, no attempt to portray farm life as an idyllic retreat from city life, especially given the ending of this film.

What DOES come across is the commitment to the land that those on family farms struggle to maintain, doggedly determined to try and hang on to their legacy.

I wonder what happened to the couple in this film and hope the DVD provides some extra detail about that. Even if it does not, the film is worth watching because we should ALL be asking ourselves why small farms are being nearly impossible to find these days. This film answers some of those questions.
33 comments| 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 7, 2016
A great series about real life. They really got this one right, Loved the family, once I started I had to watch entire series.
on September 5, 2013
This documentary followed a farming family through three years of the rollercoaster lives of farmers. Given their trade is dependent on so many factors that they can't control, it is a great intimate look into their lives from their perspective. It is heartwarming and heartbreaking seeing/experiencing the ups and downs of the Buschkoetter's lives. Their hopes and dreams mixed with reality is such a unique opportunity to be a part of. This DVD is a great addition to your library and one that will remind you of the humanity of life each time you view it.
on February 27, 2007
This is the real 'Real World' documentary. The documentary shows true to life struggles of a young farm family trying to make it through rough times. The first time I watched this was on PBS when I was first married. I just purchased the dvd after something made me remember how much the story touched me. Watching it as a wife with plenty of life/marriage experiences I felt that I viewed the story from a different perspective. It's a great portrayal and I would love to know how the family is doing now, ten years later.
22 comments| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 22, 2005
This video collection will have you thinking twice about your own situation in this life. You will be thankful, hopefully, because the Farmer and his wife and their 3 daughters struggle for years through a financial hardship. How they make it, well you will just have to see this series. It is worth your money if you like mini series collections. It is intense, I first saw this series on PBS years ago, and it never left my mind. I felt for this family of 5. Great series.
on March 4, 2002
I watched the series first on Frontline (PBS) and taped part of it. We watch the taped part over and over at home, but I never saw the ending, which I hear is happy, so I'm buying the video today. It is relaxing to watch. Sometimes, after a hard day's work, I turn on Farmer's Wife, and I can identify with Juanita's sadness, or sometimes I think maybe my life isn't so bad compared to some of their struggles.... My kids (age 5, 4 and 1) like the video and especially the daughters in the film. My husband and I want to purchase a farm, and this show, shows the ups and downs of farming. It also shows the differences in mind sets of Juanita and Darryl. Darryl couldn't understand that Juanita wanted to make flowers for her sisters wedding, and get away for a weekend. He viewed it as in-laws imposing on her, when couldn't they see how much she had to do already? He sure worked hard to keep up with the bills. They are to be commended! One thing, I didn't understand though, was why I never saw a garden on their land. Juanita went to a Christian charity to get food. If you have land, you can grow and preserve food through canning, etc. They probably could have eaten one of their pigs instead of selling them for a loss. I just got the impression that Juanita wasn't totally sold on being the stay-at-home, traditional farmer's wife. She wanted and pursued a desk job, where she seemed to blossom. I wish them the best, and would like to see an update (especially on the very cute daughters). I wonder if any of the money made on these videos goes to them. Perhaps they are financially better off since the video. God bless.
on February 8, 2012
I watched this when it came out in the 90s.....at the time i was a young farmer going through some of the same things as they were....it was the hardest thing i ever watched...but folks this is real.....not some made for tv fake reality show....should be required watching for anyone thinking about a career in agriculture...
on February 18, 2011
Heartwarming, uplifting, emotional. At times there is love and at times there is conflict. From struggling to relief. A touching story of life's hard times and good times. It portrays how living can be so difficult and so satisfying at the same time. It touched my heart. It is an amazing story of a family deeply dedicated to saving a farm, and dealing with the emotions of relationships. The type of documentary that can be watched over and over. You will find yourself pulling for the family and hoping for the best.
on March 7, 2014
Having been raised on a farm and understanding the daily tensions of making family and work for the benefit of all, this is at once a fascinating, terrifying, gripping, heart-tugging view if the inside of farm life.