Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,068 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,123 reviews
on February 14, 2014
First off, let me start by saying that I normally don't post too many reviews about the products I order. Not because I like or dislike the product (unless I get absolutely shoddy customer service, but that has not been the case with the majority of items I have purchased). I wasn't paid to review this product or try the diet, nor do I know anyone who is affiliated with the company. I'm simply just a chubby woman who was looking for a reasonable, realistic diet to shed some unwanted pounds. I bought the book along with the cookbook (and have subsequently ordered other "Fast Metabolism" cookbooks from other vendors- some good, some not so good).

The book is a quick and easy read and despite knowing quite a bit about nutrition, contained some good information that was useful to me. There are a couple of inconsistencies with portions and food lists, but you do have to implement SOME common sense in its use! The additional cookbook is handy because it gives you a lot of other meal ideas so you dont geel like you are stuck eating the same types of things over and over again. It does take a bit to get in a rhythm of how and what you should eat. I found myself frantically chopping/buying/wasting food until I I figured some things out on my own and now it is much easier.

My biggest suggestions are to eat the same things (or just change up dinner) and both or all three days of the appropriate phase. I am simply not bothered by eating the same exact things on Day 1 and 2, and again on Day 3 and 4 but I change it up a little on Days 5, 6 and 7. I also found it is easier to eat the same dinners throughout the subsequent weeks so I have to cook less. I actually bought an upright freezer because I had so many leftovers and I find it is a complete joy not to have to cook some weeks. I also had 2 crock pots going at one time, while I was on a cooking frenzy and that also helped. Someone posted on these forums 9and believe me i read virtually all of the reviews prior to odering) that the caloric intake is pretty low. I didn't put everything on my tracker but I am pretty sure it is low. Eat another salad or a bunch of steamed veggies if you get hungry. I took my array of multivitamins and supplments so I know I am not lacking in any nuttrional value. if you were a skinny minny and could eat whatever you wanted you probably wouldnt be interested in this book anyway.

I didn't struggle too much with this diet, mostly because I spent nearly a year on the quasi Paleo diet; gave up bread, refined sugars and paid a lot of attention to what I was buying/eating. For me the Paleo diet has some great concepts but not all of them I want to live with on a sustained basis. For the most part I wasn't fantasizing about what I couldn't eat and for the most part didn't feel like I was going hungry. Phase 1 and 3 are great, Phase 2 sucks a little and I did get sugar and bread cravings but I also found my weight loss was the greatest during this phase. Plus it is only 2 days so you can gut it out!

Let me re-iterate that I am a total foodie. I love food, I love to eat, I love my adult beverages. I love cheese, aged meats, butter, a good crispy baguette and the occasional fried or junk food. I am also 42 years old and look at a french fry and it goes straight to my hips! I look forward to indulging on a pizza and some wine at the end of my fourth week on this diet! I also know that I am going to start back up on again or at least adopt a variant of it, because it has actually worked for me. My goal is to lose 30 lbs just so you get an idea of where I stand with expectations.

Now for the results. I am nearing the end of week 3 of this diet but actually couldn't wait to post about it because I am actually impressed. It is actually week 5 but on the Saturday of the second week I took a staycation, went out to see a live MMA fight and knew way before I started the diet that I was going to go off of it for those 2 days. At the end of that second week I had lost 8 pounds. Now when I say I went "off" the diet, let me explain: that Saturday I had a 3 course meal of thai food, 2 glasses of wine, 3x 24oz. stadium kegs beers and a plate of shared french fries from the venue of the fight. I continued on through the evening by indugling in a few more beers and then switched to some vodka/lemon drinks washed down with fried potato skins, nachos and topped off with a wobbly street vendor hot dog! Not exactly moderation you might say! I ate regular toast and bacon the next day with my IHop breakfast and probably crammed a couple of other food items that are not diet efficient that following Sunday. Obviously my stomach wasn't very happy with me and I gained back 5 pounds. So the way I look at it, I was only down 3 pounds in 2 weeks. I started over and I have been very,very good (thankfully the next MMA fight is at the end of my fourth week, so pizza and wine, here I come!) I have lost 9 more pounds, for a total of 12 lost in 5 weeks (with the cheat).

In my opinion and many other health practitioners, an average of 2.5 lbs./week weight loss is healthy. To expect to lose 20 lbs. in a month is pretty extreme and besides the diet says you can "lose up to 20 lbs." in a month. You have to be realistic! I am very happy so far. My clothes are fitting better and most days I have decent energy. We also have to take into considerarion that I didn't do a couple of things that are required. I NEVER did any of the workouts, which I really should and Im sure it would help more, but I don't need to explain the reasons why I didn't to anyone. I am also terrible about my water intake. While I forced myself to drink more than I usually do, I certainly didn't meet my required daily intake, which would certainly help with some slight hunger issues and flushing stuff out. The other thing I struggled with was eating within 1/2 hour of waking up. I simply can't do it. I get up at 04:30 every morning and Im just not hungry until around 08:00. So a hint here is to eat your snack for breakfast and then eat your breakfast for your snack - not so much food that early. What I ended up doing was ordering all 3 phase shake mixes from the Haylie Pomory web site. They certainly aren't cheap but they also are not evil tasting and sorted out my eating 1/2 hour from waking up requirement. I also ordered some of the turkey jerkey in bulk from her web site, since it is very expensive here in Hawaii and I spent a lot of time making a few batches in my own dehydrator. This has worked out well for me. I love the breakfast I get to eat on Phase 3 (egg, tomato and avocado on sprouted bread) so I probably could do without the Phase 3 shake, havent been drinking it much. Next time I will just buy Phase 1 and 2.

Like any healthy way of eating there is some effort required on your behalf as well as some diligence. Like I also said, it takes a bit to work out your eating habits and how you are going to arrange to eat and when (I get called into multiple meetings and don't always get to eat on schedule either). Don't expect miracles either because nothing is going to give you that. If you cheat on your eating, the only person you are cheating is yourself. Speaking of cheating, I sure am looking forward to that pizza and wine next week (and I am sure my stomach will pay as well) but I also plan to start back upon the diet for another go until I get down to my desired weight and then I will try and be reasonable about what I eat. It took my 9 months to lose the 40 lbs. last time with just calorie counting and I was a slave to my food. Comparatively, I am making great progres with this diet and I am extremely satisfied. it is going to be different for everyone - just remember, if you lose about 2 pounds a week you are doing really good actually. Be realistic!

I hope this helps with anyone considering the diet - I am happy with it and the results. I even bought the book and cookbook for my Mom who needs to lose a few pounds. I am looking forward to her starting it with the opefully the same results that I have gotten!
88 comments| 607 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 2, 2015
There were a good variety of recipes in the book. It would be good for people that don't necessarily want to do the complete 28 day diet, but wanted healthy meals. It explains the diet and contains all the food lists, planners etc... Don't make the buckwheat pancakes though! Horrible! (and I can eat anything).
on January 31, 2017
great recipes, easy and all have been delicious so far!
on January 24, 2014
I love the FMD and this cookbook has delicious, tasty recipes that don't taste "healthy" but are! The only thing FMD does not offer that I wan is an app for android.
on August 13, 2017
great diet makes losing weight manageable sometimes the items (like safflower mayonnaise are tough to find otherwise it is a cookbook I will use forever
on April 28, 2017
This book is very informative, easy to understand, and my results I received were awesome. I would recommend it to anyone that is willing to try it!
on May 11, 2015
Husband and I stayed on this diet religiously for eight weeks. Ate really well but lost nothing. The book itself is poorly organized. It was difficult to find sections I wanted to re-read without going back and forth between pages. Could really use some editing.
on April 28, 2017
Love this book it has interesting recipes in it. Need to go out of town for more of the food required. To small and we a tourist town.
on March 3, 2017
This was well done. I normally hate diet books, but this isn't about dieting so much as eating well andloosing weight as a byproduct.
on December 20, 2016
LOVE this cookbook and program. This book is gives the quick summary and details of program, but I personally recommend buying BOTH to have all needed information for program. I use this cookbook every single day for all my meals. Items shipped quickly as well. Thank you!