Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Amazon's Choice Computers Limited time offer Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts STEM Book House Cleaning siliconvalley siliconvalley siliconvalley  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 142 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 149 reviews
on January 12, 2014
I almost didn't buy this book because the sample pages did not let me see the names of the recipes or their ingredients. My family is into plain food-nothing exotic or hard to pronounce. I found plenty that won't scare the natives:

For example:
Pork Loin with Apples and Onions
Quick Enchiladas
Slow Oven-Smoked Brisket
Italian Style Meatballs
Chicken Braised with Onions and Tomatoes
No guilt fish tenders
Old fashioned Beef Stew

There are also some new things to try:
Caprese-Style Polenta and Steak
Quick Chicken Tikka Masala
Quinoa Turkey Casserole

My husband and I saw Dr. Lustig on CNN. Because of that lecture my husband gave up pop and is his normal, sane, self again instead of the volatile person he'd become. I doubled my veggies and have lost 2 pounds in a week :). I was glad to get the cookbook for more ideas-especially for making basics like barbecue sauce without sugar.

Bon Appetit!
77 comments| 143 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 9, 2015
I was extremely disappointed in this book. It is as if Dr. Lustig didn't even read the recipes having someone else create them for the book. I have been very impressed with Dr. Lustig's work, his TED talks, his adamant confrontation of the sugar and food giants. Yet, recipe after recipe contained way beyond Dr. Lustig's personal recommendation as to the amount of sugar to consume on a daily basis. I was expecting to find a good series of quality recipes contained within the suggestions of sugar intake. Instead, more than one recipe had gram after gram of excess sugar.

That said, please consider buying his original book "Fat Chance" and listening to his TED talks. There is extreme value in what he is saying. I think of him every time I go to the grocery store including the health food grocers reading label after label with shock.
on January 23, 2016
Finally, a cookbook that recognizes the value of not buying food that require a label. I heard about this on PBS and the recipes are put together by Cindy Gershen who founded Sunrise Bistro here in Walnut Creek CA where I live. I can attest to the quality of her restaurant and these recipes will keep me busy for a long time.
on January 2, 2014
I’ve known Cindy for over 40 years. Yes I’m biased; I’ve always loved her cooking. With these recipes I can eat all I want and not put on weight. Cindy lost 100 pounds in six months eating this food and has kept it off for over 10 years. She sells this food every day in her gourmet restaurant. Most of her customers don’t know or care that they are eating healthy, they just like the food. Her high school students love the food and make it for their parents at home.

The included condensed version of Dr. Lustig’s bestselling book Fat Chance is a bonus and a quick read if you don’t have time for the big book.

Dr. Lustig and Cindy are changing lives. Do yourself a favor, get the book and change your life, for the better.
on August 29, 2016
Followed the concepts in the book with excellent results. Dropped 30 pounds with no other difference in my daily habits other than vowing processed sugar and processed carbs out of my life; I have not weighed under 225 lbs in over two decades.
on July 1, 2016
I had high hopes for this book,but it didn't meet my expectations. Limited recipes and almost zero illustrations. Because of that the book has been collecting dust on the shelf since the arrival. There are so many colorful and illustrated books on similar subjects nowadays, that it seems that someone was really cutting corners when publishing this one
on November 17, 2014
"Fat Chance" changed my eating habits. I bought the cookbook expecting insightful help, but it did not add anything significant to what I already know or help me apply Lustig's nutritional principles in a significantly better way. After reading it, I left it on the shelf. However, it did help my brother.
on March 19, 2016
This has good recipes but I was disappointed that most of them are for phase 3 of his eating plan. I had hoped for more good recipes for the phase 2 plan. The ones in the Always Hungry book are so good.
Enthusiast: Cookingon March 10, 2015
Seriously- recipes with sugar? When the book is about how bad sugar is? And using whole wheat flour as if that makes adding a whole cup of sugar to the recipe better? So disappointed. :o(
55 comments| 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 26, 2014
I wasn't sure what to expect when ordering this book, but to my surprise and delight, it has changed our eating habits. The recipes are easy to make and most can be done after work if you've bought your ingredients in advance. The "fish sticks" recipe got me eating fish at home for the first time, and the chicken salad tastes better than store-bought. I have lost about 5 lbs since cooking with these recipes, and I feel better with more energy.

This cookbook is a realistic approach to cooking healthy meals quickly and efficiently. It is helpful for busy families who want traditional meals made healthier.