Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Fault In Our Stars
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now

Format: Amazon Video|Change
Price:$8.99

on June 6, 2014
There’s a critic’s quote on the back of my copy of “The Fault in Our Stars,” by John Green, which I really felt captured the book’s essence and how it felt to read it. “This is a book that will break your heart – not by wearing it down, but by making it bigger and bigger until it bursts.” This is true. But, don’t be mistaken. This is an emotionally exhausting story. All a movie of a beloved book can hope to accomplish is to do justice to the book’s essence, and to give the viewer the same feeling they had when reading it as a novel. “The Fault in Our Stars” does this, and then some.

“Stars” follows Hazel (Shailene Woodley), who was diagnosed with cancer at the age of thirteen. A clinical trial gave her a few good years, but she has never been really anything but terminal. Her behavior leads her parents (Laura Dern and Sam Trammel) to believe she’s depressed, and force her to attend an insufferable cancer support group, where she meets who turns out to be the love of her life, Augustus Waters (Ansel Elgort).

So first, I’ll calm the book readers down a bit. Woodley, who proved in 2011’s “The Descendants,” that she is a dynamic actress, and could helm YA-novel adaptations without being compared to Kristen Stewart, makes for a dynamic Hazel, giving a sublime and beautiful performance that could (and should) earn her some Academy attention this winter. Elgort is brooding, romantic and infectiously charismatic – a pitch perfect Augustus. And best yet, these two young actors have a chemistry that is electric, and should hit non-fans just as hard as it does those familiar with the source material.

Amy Jellicoe, I mean, Laura Dern is lovely as Hazel’s martyr mother. Dern played Amy Jellicoe in one of my favorite television series of all time, HBO’s cancelled-too-soon “Enlightened,” and she plays exactly the character from the book, and doesn’t change much. Sam Trammel (HBO’s “True Blood”) does nice work too. In the novel, Hazel’s father broke out crying almost every time she was in his presence, which Trammel doesn’t do. I guess that’s a good thing.

When the end-of-second-act plot twist hits, you will likely be in tears the entire third act of the movie, like I was. The book’s tone reminded me of Showtime’s series “The Big C.” It’s about a morbid subject – cancer, but treats its subject with lightness and finds a way to convey the humor in a terrible situation. “The Fault in Our Stars” is like the book in that way – it is at times grim and morbid in its detail about disease. But the characters manage to crack jokes about their awful predicament, which makes the third-act punch hurt a little less.

The film only makes a few slight changes in story from the book. Hazel’s friend Kaitlyn is written out completely, which actually works. Hazel is better portrayed as someone who was lonely and friendless until the great love of her life came around. Kaitlyn was an afterthought in the book anyway. The backstory of Augustus’s previous girlfriend Caroline is also written out, which is not such a good choice. But a book fan is always going to find things to nitpick.

In the end, Josh Boone made a superb adaptation of a beloved novel, which captured what it felt like to read the book. Not only that, but it captures the unmistakable feeling of being in love for the first time. The film itself is heartbreaking (you will cry…no way around it,) hopeful, wise, and acerbic in its wit. It will remind you not to live every day like it’s your last – but to just live.

Grade: A
33 comments| 272 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon September 7, 2014
There has been a lot of hype around both the book and this movie. Enough hype to convince me to finally read the book and then go see the movie on opening day.

I thought The Fault in Our Stars was cast perfectly. I had seen a movie poster prior to reading the book so that could have significantly influenced me. The movie stayed fairly true to the book. Of course things had to be cut and changed to make this movie work but overall I think the adaptations they made worked well.

While reading I pictured the characters much sicker than they appeared on the screen, however, I understand that no one really wants to watch a 2 hour movie with sickly looking dying people. There aren’t many movies that I watch more than once but I would like to see this one again.

Content: There is some moderate language sprinkled throughout and one use of the F word. If you have read the book you know there is a sex scene. The scene cuts after Hazel removes her bra (seen only from the back) and picks back up with them sleeping entwined in each others arms. I am going to take my 14 year old to see this. Once again there is a little more content than I am comfortable with her seeing. (I wish the sex scene had cut a little earlier and that there was a little less language). However it is a movie she really wants to see and I’m going to let her see it.

My recommendation – If you are going to see it read the book first. They did a great job adapting this from a book to a movie but there is much that had to be left out and as is usually the case the book is better than the movie.
1212 comments| 135 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 7, 2015
This movie is absolutely realistic. My daughter has been fighting cancer for the past three years and this really hit home. I felt empathy and understanding throughout the entire movie. During my daughters fight with cancer we have witnessed young love between cancer patients and it truly is tragic and beautiful.
on August 9, 2014
Shailene Woodley and Ansel Elgort deserve Oscars for this movie. The story is beautifully written, and the movie is beautifully acted and directed. The movie follows the book well and John Green's, humor, charm and wit shine through in both the book and the movie. It is a love story that has true depth, heart and soul. It's not cliche like most romantic movies. It will make you laugh and cry sometimes at the same time. It's truly one of a kind, hope to see it win lots of awards this year. Bring your Kleenex when you see it.
on May 25, 2014
There are two stories that have captured the essence of life and death as a millennial today. One is a great spiritual fiction Now and at the Hour of Our Death. The other will make you want to hate tweet John Green for writing such an emotionally tormenting story

First off you will probably cry at this film more than you ever have at a movie. You will probably ugly cry. Just warning you! The film of The Fault in Our Stars is a great adaption of a beautiful and wonderfully-written novel. It's sort of perfect.

I think they picked the perfect actors to play the roles so many have come to appreciate through the book and the film follows along the story well, being true to Green's excellente novel. When it's brought to life, there's actually more emotion and feeling than I felt with the book, which is saying alot. I love when Agustus Waters compliments Hazel Grace with her canula draped under her nose and over her ears. I couldn't stop bawling and my heart kinda flutters now every time I hear someone say "okay".

The acting is good and maintains the believability of the characters and the story, which is important because while these are everyday teens living in an everyday town, their fight with a horrible disease and the unusual things it makes people do is tough to pull off if you're not a good actor. Shailene and Ansel certainly are.

There are two stories out there that capture the essence of life. They've made an amazing film out of this one.
0Comment| 102 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 16, 2014
Two teens with cancer meet and fall in love. A film that by nature will sell crates of Puffs. Our couple meets at a support group which they have both long out grown. They want one last chance to do something like normal teens. The film takes on that "Lifetime" air and seems more realistic than most films in this genre except for that Van Houten thing.

The film is loaded with metaphors and messages. Gus' cigarette being the most powerful. It is "Love Story" for a new generation. The film will bea "people's choice" more than a critic's choice.

Yes, it is in the realm of a romance or "chick flic." Light comedy.

Parental Guide: 1 F-bomb. Implied sex. No nudity.
on October 24, 2014
Is it a schmaltzy movie, yes, is it a tearjerker, yes, did I love it anyway....big yes! @ big thumbs up to Shailene Woodley and to Ansel Elgort, very attractive couple and very believable as a couple. Yes, they each have cancer but you feel the life and hope they are portraying and especially from him in the first 3/4 of the movie. Sappy and sad, absolutely, but if you are watching this or thinking of watching it....that is what you are looking for and you will get it. Love, love and love. The leads and the support cast ....winners all. If you don't at least mist up....you are a cold lump of rock.
on October 23, 2015
Watched this after reading the book as part of a "book to film" series I was teaching. I drew the short straw and had to read a "chick book."

I was pleasantly surprised to find that the book is soooo much more than that. This movie was another pleasant surprise. The acting is good, the music is excellent, and the tears on my face were real. I haven't felt so much emotion from a movie since watching Schindler's List in middle school. This one hits you right in the feels, it doesn't pull punches, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Highly recommended.
on March 13, 2015
I was so prepared to cry while watching this movie but never did. I felt a lot and I mean a lot. When the ending came I didn't cry I was angry ...not at the movie it was amazing but it all just seemed so unfair. This isn't the type of movie I long to see but with so much hype around it I had to see it. Love the move and happy I purchased it and will watch it many more times after I read the book. The acting was spot on and not over the top. By the end I felt like these are 2 people I could know in real life. The ending was clear and didn't leave me feeling empty. Everyone should give this movie a shot.
on July 6, 2015
Okay? Okay. So let’s start off by talking about how cute that movie poster is? It’s adorable right? Of course it’s adorable what am I, Karen, talking about here. Anyways. I have been putting off reading the book and watching the movie for quite a while. Mostly that reason was because I was reading HoN books. So I couldn’t exactly get to this one even though I had this one for a little bit longer than the last two books of HoN but oh well.

Anyways #TFIOS that was such a great movie!!!! Before I watched the movie though I had to get myself all nice and settled in. By doing that I got myself a box of tissues and my blanket so I could cuddle in with it. The movie was really good. It made me laugh at all the right parts, it made me smile, and sadly I must say it….it even made me cry a lot of times. The Fault in Our Stars is the most awesome movie ever. Even if it’s about two cancer patients that met at a Support Group for other Cancer Kids around their ages. They met, they become friends, and slowly they start to fall in love. Well mostly Gus at first because he likes to admit it but Hazel never did admit it until they get to Amsterdam.

I guess the main reason is because Hazel just never really wanted to hurt Augustus, Gus, like other Cancer Kids do eventually. And when I say eventually I mean that as the most heartwarming kindness that I can because any story that has cancer in it someone will die. You just know it. I did when I read the back of the book but then again I also knew it because someone at my high school told me that back when I was in high school about four years ago now. But anyways Augustus and Hazel has, or have if you want to be cruel to your own heart, the most amazing love story that any young teenage person can have with cancer in their lives.

These two are just two wonderful people that shouldn’t have had cancer in their lives at all and should be able to live a happily ever after like most people their own ages. Including Isaac. He shouldn’t have had to have his eyes removed and be blind for the rest of his life. I cried my hardest at every single part whenever someone else cried because I felt like I was apart of their lives even if as Peter Van Houten would say that they are literary characters and that we shouldn’t matter with what happened to them. I say that he is full of bulls*** because with the characters in this book and the characters that we hear of from An Imperial Affliction that they all matter, and that what happened to the person that died, loved ones they also matter in what happens afterward for them.

I mean I care for Hazel, Isaac, and everyone in #TIFOS in both the books and the movies since anyone that has been hurt by Death taking one of their loved ones will know that they will live on forever in that person’s heart. Trust me I lost my great aunt and my grandfather, one when it was her time and the other from cancer, I just like to think that my heart has room for Gus and Hazel and everyone else in The Fault in Our Stars family because Cancer is just a thing that is made up of you that will eventually kill you and there is no way out of it since Pain is inevitable.

I hope that you also like this movie as much as I did and that you will walk the rest of the day and the rest of your life knowing that you bared witness to the most wonderful love story ever of Augustus Waters and Hazel Grace Lancaster. Who shall ever be in my heart. Okay? Okay.

To read my other blog posts/reviews please go to my site: baronessbooktrove.com