Salon Beauty Kindle 10th Anniversary Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now HTL17_gno

on April 9, 2013
I am not quite finished with the book, but so far, I think it is very well written. It covers a topic that is difficult to talk about and is often avoided. It has been challenging for me to get through; however, I feel like I should add my perspective. I was diagnosed with cancer at 10. I am now 15 years old and a teen-age cancer survivor. I am a volunteer and advocate for pediatric cancer awareness.

This book has gotten negative reviews based on several points:
1) This is from another reviewer: "The characters are not believable. They do not speak like teenagers. They do not even handle situations like teenagers do. So many interactions between Gus and Hazel are interactions which, plain and simple, just would not happen between real, emotional, scared, awkward, virgin teenagers, let alone ones with cancer who have been socially cut off for much of their lives."

*My point-of-view: Have you spent time with any of us? They are believable as teen-age cancer patients/survivors. We may look like teen-agers, but in our heads, we are not. We have had to face our own mortality and make choices we should never have to make. It makes us grow up...quickly. Most of us do not act or speak like teen-agers because that is no longer how we think. After treatment, many of us find the things most teens (and sometimes adults) are worried about are trivial. Society cuts us off, but we are not cut off from each other. These types of interactions do happen. And, it is emotional and scary, but we learn to tell it like it is, without the normal fluff and awkwardness. We find 'normal' where we can and try to live every single day we have because we know that time is an illusion.

2) The parents are not real, not deep characters, and they do not have their own identities.

*My point-of-view: I have seen my own parents (and siblings) and the parents of other friends struggle with this. Many times, they do not have their own identities anymore. Every single minute is spent trying to make it to the next! They try to keep the family together and functioning, in spite of the effects of treatment, fevers and midnight trips to the emergency room, 3 weeks of the month spent in isolation, jobs in jeopardy, birthdays and holidays interrupted, not to mention talks that parents never want to have with their child. I've talked to my mom about this. This becomes their identity. My mom said their jobs become about doing whatever it takes, travelling all over the country (which is very common), researching new studies, and new medicines, all to help us survive and thrive with grace and dignity. It is also their job to prepare, if treatments don't work, to help us die with just as much grace and dignity.

I hope everyone can read this with an open mind and an open heart. Then, reach out to the patients and survivors in your communities. They are wise beyond their years, funny, brave and inspiring.
5150+ comments| 3,040 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 5, 2016
I'm not usually one for young adult fiction, but this book absolutely fantastic. It reaches deep inside of me. It’s a story of a quiet tragedy, love, and an undeniable reality. Hazel and Augustus face mortality and so many of the meaningless details of life. It forces them to face who they really truly are. How would they carry on... Terminal disease gives you fear, for yourself, for your loved ones. It causes pain that you are the reason to make your family feel worried and cry at night. Green wrote this sad, tragic, yet beautiful story, it brings tears to my eyes.
0Comment| 159 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 28, 2014
My thoughts: Stunningly beautiful, even the second time 'round.

I've read, The Fault In Our Stars, sometime late of last year and remember knowing how the story was going to end. Now, usually I would have shy away from such premise, but have reading other John Green novels, I knew it was impossible. So here it is, my first impressions and thoughts after have reading it again.

My first impression

As I've mentioned, I knew how the story was going to end, as it does with most cancer-based plots. This is the first book, I have picked up and wanted to read and experience the “filling” – Gus and Hazel's relationship developments – part of the story, rather than wishing for an ending of my like. And, I got what I asked for, self-torture (I knew what I was jumping in to, and cried my eyes out!), a beautiful-numbing romance, and the tragic-realistic part of life. It's these kind of books that has you quietly sitting down in your reading nook, and really think about the things you have and how lucky you are to be able to live the simpler part of life … To embrace the simple things in life.

Augustus Waters: brilliant, witty, charming, and plays an important part in Hazel's life. I was immediately charmed by his wit and his personality. (As I am sure most gals have.) People like Gus, really shines and bring the best out of others.

Hazel Grace: just as brilliant, just as witty, and just as charming! Plays an important role in Augustus Water's life. Hazel, was such a passionate character! Actually, they both were. Their little trip to Van Houton's showcased that, and it had to be one of my favorite scenes.

Though the romance was loving, so was the relationships with Gus, Hazel, and their families. You not only are ripped apart by the problems with Gus and Hazel, but also what their parents had to endure. I could not help but paralleling what would have been if I were in the same situation – how devastated my family would be – to their situation. This was most emotionally-wrecking. That's the thing, how real people are able to make that connection with the characters and plot, is what makes The Fault In Our Stars, so haunting ... and scary.

Second Impression:
Just as heart-breaking yet, lovely as the first.

There is a reason The Fault In Our Stars is a hit and a reason why it is most recommend for teens (and those of all ages) … This books inspires and touches, deeply.
on February 1, 2014
[This review can also be found at anafichesdelectures.wordpress.com]

“...but there is no shortage of fault to be found amid our stars.”
Green, John (2012-01-10). The Fault in Our Stars (p. 112). Dutton Juvenile. Kindle Edition.

I hesitated many times to pick up this novel, at first, because everyone was commenting that even though it was a profound, unique love story, it was going to be a tough reading; that one has to be prepared to cry. I had just finished reading “Me Before You” by Jojo Moyes (I cried many times), and I was still debating whether I was strong enough to plunge right away.

I took courage, started and let me tell you that it wasn’t what I was expecting. The story was not really about their sickness but rather about their ordinary, normal life with unique circumstances. It portrayed how people with cancer lead a normal life as much as possible and did the best they could everyday.

“You’ll . . . you’ll . . . live your best life today. This is your war now.”
Green, John (2012-01-10). The Fault in Our Stars (p. 216). Dutton Juvenile. Kindle Edition.

The strong sense of ordinary made it extraordinary.The author manages to transform the banality of their reality into a profound, meaningful one surpassing their cancer life threatening situation.

“That’s the thing about pain,” Augustus said, and then glanced back at me. “It demands to be felt.”
Green, John (2012-01-10). The Fault in Our Stars (p. 63). Dutton Juvenile. Kindle Edition.

Hazel and Augustus love reminded me of one of Will’s poem from “This Girl” by Colleen Hoover:

“Sometimes life gets in your way. It gets all up in your damn way.”
Hoover, Colleen (2013-04-30). This Girl: A Novel (Kindle Locations 3253-3255). Atria Books. Kindle Edition.
Augustus offered a hopeful, magic love to Hazel:

“But, Gus, my love, I cannot tell you how thankful I am for our little infinity. I wouldn’t trade it for the world. You gave me a forever within the numbered days, and I’m grateful.”
Green, John (2012-01-10). The Fault in Our Stars (p. 260). Dutton Juvenile. Kindle Edition.

The novel was not predictable. Whatever you thought you were reading about, it wasn’t. The end was unexpected and tough ending. I don’t want to give anything of the plot but all I can tell you is: this is a great novel, read it, you won’t regret it.

[Message/ Quotes:]

“really, the problem is not suffering itself or oblivion itself but the depraved meaninglessness of these things, the absolutely inhuman nihilism of suffering.”
Green, John (2012-01-10). The Fault in Our Stars (p. 281). Dutton Juvenile. Kindle Edition.

I also recommend “Me Before You” by Jojo Moyes and “The End of Your Life Book Club” by Will Schwalbe.

The movie will be release sometimes this year, in 2014.

Movie Trailer: [...]
on March 7, 2014
I only cry occasionally with books. Normally it's not something I seek out, though I do welcome it if it happens. This book...ugh. I read it last night and through today, pausing my life. Here are some quotes from things I posted on Facebook while reading the book. They aren't exactly spoilers but they have a flavour of that, so be warned.

"The Fault in Our Stars. I feel like Karissa Richards recommended this before Tumblr did. A few pages in and I didn't need that heart anyway."

"Omg so other teenagers who were like me DO EXIST. DID. A touch pretentious and learned? Existential? Goofy? John Green, you are writing my high school self, except that I didn't have cancer."

"I can honestly say I have never written notes in a book like this on Kindle before.

Also John Green is trying to kill me."

"JOHN GREEN STAHP. Also, note to Nicky Sparklepants, this is how you write tragic love."

"Oh. My. God. John Green also understands what it is like to talk to literary authors as a reader. I almost want to swear some kind of oath that I will never be like the an Imperial Affliction guy. Seriously. This is what a conversation between me and GRR Martin would look like."

""There has been ugly crying in the shower. And gasping. I taught myself to cry pretty a long time ago but this is nose-running, yelping, chest-aching kind of crying. I am not sure I remember the last time I cried like this but I think it was when my grandfather died. (Of cancer, as it happens.)"

"Rational thought has veen cancelled for today due to facial rainstorms and John Green."

So yeah. But is it *good*? Well, it's beautifully written, it's unsentimental in good ways but full of feeling and sincerity, it's honest, it's realistic, and it doesn't go for easy answers. In a word, it's brilliant. Buy it, read it, love it. I'm going to do that with all his other books now.
VINE VOICEon March 23, 2013
Yeah sure, this is a cancer book, but, it's not about cancer. It's about strength and fun and books. It's about how a novel can transform you and sometimes amazing books are written by terrible people (looking at you OSC). It's about a girl named Hazel and a boy named Augustus and all the people that care about them. It's about blind and one-legged teens egging a car. It's about finding happiness where you can. It's about moving on. It's about making this day your best day.

"My thoughts are stars I can't fathom into constellations." That's a pretty good review for this book right there...

Seriously though, this was such a great book. So many lines that just kick you right in the gut. It's surprising because this book is really funny too. So you'll be reading along, chuckling at the banter between the characters and then all of a sudden BAM! This s*** just got serious. It totally works though, because that's how lots of people deal with hard things. They wrap it up into something funny and more manageable.

Hazel was a great character. She just felt so real and honest. I loved how she was addicted to a novel. I've never been that obsessed with one novel before (yet) and it just seems amazing and wonderful. The only problem is this novel is fictional and now I want to read it and I can't. Fairly disappointing but I guess less disappointing than if I read it and it was awful. Back to Hazel though, it was great having her be our main eyes and ears and brain for this story. She was a really honest narrator and she picked some pretty great people to hang around with. She acted real with her parents too. Not all "I hate you!" or "We're BFFs for LIFE!" but a nice mix in-between. It was easy to like Hazel, because she was nice person all around.

I feel like this review needs to mention how amazing Isaac is. The Fault in Our Stars is always talked about HAZELANDAUGUSTUS!!!! which is fine, but ISAAC too. He lost his eyes to cancer and he was worried about his love life. He was just a really great character too and I wished he was in the novel a bit more. He really changed the outlook of the novel. He was so spirited that it didn't make his situation seem utterly depressing. I mean it still completely sucks having eye cancer I imagine, but he made himself into a person that could get past that and live life. Although, I have no idea what was going on with him internally this whole time, maybe he was miserable...secretly.

Now Augustus. For how much charm he seemed to exuded, he also seemed incredibly awkward. He definitely tried way too hard a lot of the time. I have to agree with Hazel, that when he let all that slide away he was a much more awesome person. He was much more love-able without all that stuffy charm.

The last few sentences of this novel were a bit flat. I felt like there should have been something more EPIC. But, life is a bit flat I guess.

The last third of this book had me flailing my arms around much like a giant squid of anger. Life is so unfair. I know nobody ever said it was fair and it's childish(hopeful) to think that it is, but still. I mean WHY!? It just so awful that good people have to suffer while there are terrible, terrible people out there who get to live happy lives doing all their terrible things. They should be the one-eyed, one-legged, oxygen bearers of this world, not teens who are good people.
"It's not fair," I said. "It's just so goddamned unfair."
"The world," he said, "is not a wish granting factory,"

So yes, please read this book. When you get to the end throw this book. Smash this book, tear the pages from this book to wipe your face with. Afterwards buy a new book and place it on your shelf for next time.

First Line:
"Late in the winter of my seventeenth year, my mother decided I was depressed, presumably because I rarely left the house and spent quite a lot of time in bed, read the same book over and over, ate infrequently, and devoted quite a bit of my abundant free time to thinking about death."

Favorite Lines:
"His every syllable flirted."

"In the end, we both lost. So it goes."

"Augustus and I were together in the Improbably Creatures Club: us and the duck-billed platypuses."

"It seemed like forever ago, like we'd had this brief but still infinite forever."

"I owed a debt to the universe that only my attention could repay, and also that I owed a debt to everybody who didn't get to be a person anymore and everyone who hadn't gotten to be a person yet."
on May 10, 2017
“My thoughts are stars I cannot fathom into constellations,” is just one of many thoughtful quotes from a talented John Green’s New York Times bestseller novel, The Fault in Our Stars. The title is in reference to Shakespeare's “Julius Caesar”: "The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, But in ourselves, that we are underlings,” and it only begins to describe the descent into the novel by talking about the fault within ourselves, which, in TFIOS’s case, is talking about the man character's’ fault: cancer. The book, set in present-time in the USA, captivates every second of your thoughts until, next thing you know, it’s 3:00 in the morning and you’ve been up reading all night. The book entails a 17-year-old girl named Hazel who is suffering from thyroid cancer, which tethers her to an oxygen tank everywhere she goes. She spends her days reading, watching tv with her mother, going to community college classes, and attending a cancer support group. It’s the same old same old for Hazel until a guest visitor, 18-year-old Augustus “Gus” Waters, comes to one of her support group meetings and introduces himself.
After hanging out and having late night conversations, Hazel and Gus get closer and closer. When Hazel recommends her favorite book to Gus, he reads it and is immediately captivated book’s ending, or lack thereof. After numerous failed attempts at trying to contact the author, who is living reclusively in Amsterdam, Gus decides to surprise Hazel with a trip to meet the author and get an answer once and for all. The trip to Amsterdam goes fine, no thanks to the disappointing encounter with the author. It’s on the last day of their trip that Gus tells Hazel something that will change both of their lives forever. he ongoing theme throughout the novel is that life is precious, and everyday you spend alive should be valued. It feels like every humbling page in this story reminds you that your life is a gift, and you should remember to be happy with what you have in this world.

The novel itself is a rollercoaster of emotions - happy, funny, angry, sad. I found the author’s style particularly compelling as it did an exceptional job at capturing the spirit and emotions of a teenager (not to mention the emotions of a teenager with cancer). I believe the author achieved his goal of creating a heartrbeaking love story that always keeps you wondering about the characters, even after you finish the novel. The book felt very complete to me; I feel like I completely understood all elements- love, sadness, heartbreak - that were going on throughout the book.

If there was one thing that I would change about this story, it would be that the spotlight was placed solely on the two main characters. This is good because you get a thorough understanding of the main characters, however it is difficult because you do not learn much about the supporting characters in the novel. But that is merely a small stain on the legacy that is TFIOS. As far as the main characters go, however, I have never felt like I had a more clear image of a character in a novel before. After reading the novel, I often thought back to Hazel and Gus, and I could remember what they look like and how they act in the novel.

If you a mature reader and/or an adult, I would strongly recommend you pick up this book. Not only is it just a good read, but it is different from any book that you have read. The author’s style and choice of wording make this book very unique and thought-provoking. After finishing the book, you will be so fond of the characters that you will remember them as if they were a friend from high school. This review can’t possibly do justice to this novel, so I recommend you get your hands on this book and go on the journey for yourself.
on August 26, 2017
I genuinely never expected to like the book. I did it solely because it was required foe when I came back to school Sophomore year. It just seemed like a sob story, and one of those *Insert sad part here* just to get a cry. I figured it would basically be a hallmark movie but in book form, however, I enjoyed it and it never came across as that, honestly there was never a scene that felt like the author was trying to get a good cry, rather the scene was described and if you cried then you cried but it never felt like too much. That being said lets get into the plot which I am sure you've already heard loads about. Basically, Hazel Grace Lancaster -a young 16 year old girl as well as our protagonist, and also a cancer patient since 13- meets Augustus Waters a boy who previously had a "touch of osteosarcoma" and they fall in love. That's just a summary as I won't go into spoiler territory but those are our two main characters and the story is told through Hazel Grace.
The two characters are very mature for teenagers and to be quite honest they don't really act like teenagers, and I'm glad they don't because I imagine that cancer would force a young teen to grow up very quickly and so the two do. What I liked about their love story was that these two characters have little in common, out side of their disease. They're not compatible in the way you'd expect a couple to be compatible, they're essentially polar opposites except for maybe the fact that they both enjoy reading and have cancer. It's great because their relationship seemed genuine, they didn't always agree with one another and they had wildly different beliefs and that's great because opposites attract. I find far too often in books and movies that two people exactly the same fall in love and the truth is, that never happens because web, as humans, can't stand being around someone just like us for so long. So this was great. Their relationship is also the main focus in the book so that's why I brought it up. It's really the plot.
Though, it's definitely not a perfect book and I could never give it a 5 star rating because of one thing, the dialogue. While I found it very funny at times and even realistic as it doesn't sugar coat anything, it was often cringe worthy and at other times pretentious and sometimes it took me right out of the story. And I also feel ad though the book was about 25 to 30 pages too long. *Spoilers ahead*

After, Augustus dies from his cancer (which is easily the best section of the book and the saddest-- his final days.) There's a pretty decent chunk of three or four chapters that felt unneccassary in many respects. Other than those negatives its a pretty good book that I do recommend picking up if you're looking for a well written, genuine live story.
on December 14, 2012
When deciding to read John Green's "The Fault In Our Stars", I knew what I was setting myself up for. I've officially accepted that I am indeed a masosadist.

"That's the thing about pain...it demands to be felt."

I've lost a lot of people to cancer in my lifetime. From a young age, I've learned to coupe with these "grenades" in anyway imaginable, much as you read about in Stars.

"Off topic, but: What a slut time is. She screws everybody."

Green's Book is the story of life through eyes that are very much living for the moment. People told me that I would cry. Did I? Yes, and actually on two flights between Milwaukee and Fort Lauderdale {marvelous timing for a sad read right?!}. But I unlike many readers didn't find myself crying from start to finish. What some saw as a depressing story about death and sickness, I saw a story of survival, love, and honesty which was beautiful to read.

"Oh, I wouldn't mind, Hazel Grace. It would be a privilege to have my heart broken by you."

Hazel and Augustus put things in perspective for you. I got all the way to 78% before I started to cry. I was starting to think I was heartless, but as I sat to start writing the review, I just realized that I related so much to this read. More than any book I've ever read.

"Only now that I loved a grenade did I understand the foolishness of trying to save others from my own impending fragmentation: I couldn't unlove Augustus Waters. And I didn't want to."

I ultimately read this book because I didn't believe Green could write a story that truly embraced how it felt to deeply love a person, with cancer, and lose them. The feeling is indescribable, and in the end, yeah, I got my answer. Wow. Dead on. Glad I read it, but I'm going to find my heart. I think it's on the floor, stomped on.

"You don't get to choose if you get hurt in this world, old man, but you do have some say in who hurts you. I like my choices. I hope she likes hers."

Warning: You will cry {I currently have a stomach ache just writing this review}, your heart will be broke, and you will be a better person after finishing this book. And have the next read ready, I walked around in a haze for hours until I could start my post "The Fault In Our Stars" book. But I promise, it's worth it.

Finally, since there were SOOOO many good quotes in this book, thought I would add a few more then I usually do...

"The world is not a wish-granting factory."

"Without pain, how could we know joy?' This is an old argument in the field of thinking about suffering and its stupidity and lack of sophistication could be plumbed for centuries but suffice it to say that the existence of broccoli does not, in any way, affect the taste of chocolate."

"You realize that trying to keep your distance from me will not lessen my affection for you. All efforts to save me from you will fail."

"The real heroes anyway aren't the people doing things; the real heroes are the people NOTICING things, paying attention."

"The marks humans leave are too often scars."

Review By Brittany for Fiction and Fashion Book Blog

Read this review and more at [...]

[...]
on August 12, 2014
I was skeptical at first about reading this book. The way the cover looks, and all the hype about it recently, made me feel like it might be another 'tween-thing', not unlike the Twilight series. I read some good reviews on it, and saw the decent ratings, so I thought, "Why the heck not?". And I don't have any terminal illness myself but I thought that it would be interesting to read about someone's perspective on life who does.

Right off the bat, I actually enjoyed her sarcasm. It might be appalling to some people to joke about death in the ways that the main character (Hazel) does, but I think if I was in the same situation, I probably would too. Hazel made me realize that she has every right to be sarcastic and joking when it comes to her situation, especially since she is constantly being treated like someone with a terminal illness. You know, the "Oh you poor thing..." comments and looks.

The story also somewhat appealed to the young adult in me with it's love interest. The fact that she keeps pushing away and he (Augustus) keeps pushing back makes you absolutely yearn for them to just GET TOGETHER ALREADY! Plus, it was a beautiful thing, too young adults with possibly deadly illnesses finding tentative, but honest love.

I think this book offers so much more though than a 'tween-like' love interest. It really puts cancer and other diseases into perspective for the reader. I know it has me reviewing the ways that I think about and treat people who may be sick or dying, or those who have experienced loss. It made me realize that those type of people might act out harshly, do something crazy, or push others away, and I can't jump to conclusions about someone like that, because I've never experienced the type of questions they have to ask themselves, and the pain that they've gone through.

It really is a beautiful story for any age. I laughed and cried. I hope you do as well...