Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Customer reviews

37,900
Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-10 of 31,607 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 37,900 reviews
on September 5, 2016
I'm not usually one for young adult fiction, but this book absolutely fantastic. It reaches deep inside of me. It’s a story of a quiet tragedy, love, and an undeniable reality. Hazel and Augustus face mortality and so many of the meaningless details of life. It forces them to face who they really truly are. How would they carry on... Terminal disease gives you fear, for yourself, for your loved ones. It causes pain that you are the reason to make your family feel worried and cry at night. Green wrote this sad, tragic, yet beautiful story, it brings tears to my eyes.
0Comment| 156 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 6, 2017
I have been following the Vlogbrothers, John & Hank Green for about a year new on YouTube but this is the first of John's books that I have read. Now that I know what I have been missing, there will be more It is a little weird being familiar with an author's voice, appearance and mannerisms from one source then apprehending how that transitions to the pages of a novel. John succeeded in developing characters that resonated deeply and broadly with me. That made becoming strongly attached to them easy and gratifying, and missing them now that they're gone that much more difficult. It is a condition I relish and dread and find to be the sure sign of good fiction...that the people I'm reading about seem so real and their circumstances so genuine that their lives intertwine with mine as I read. There is great sadness to be confronted and dealt with in this book, but it is redeemed by by the simple yet graceful humanity of the people through whom it comes. Not a moment of the time invested in reading this book felt wasted. And the John Green I have grown fond of was in there with me, winking occasionally with the turn of a phrase or the mention of a concept that sounded familiar. His company was sincerely appreciated.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon May 31, 2014
Being the mother of a 19-year-old, I have had plenty of opportunities to read YA fiction as I have read many of the same books my daughter has. When I try to compare this to other novels geared toward this demographic, the books that come closest are the Harry Potter books. Wildly different genres with one group being highly imaginative fantasy and the other nitty-gritty life, but they are on par with each other. The reason I say this is that neither book talks down to their intended audience. They assume young readers are intelligent, thoughtful readers, and can process story lines beyond those that are typical. While The Hunger Games and Divergent are both best selling movies and books, this book is much better than either of those in my opinion.

It was very interesting that when I looked at other reviews, a common complaint was the way the main characters spoke and their advanced maturity level. In direct opposition to this reaction, my first reaction to the book was how WELL John Green captured the teenage mind and spirit. To be frank, the vast majority of teenagers seem largely concerned with Justin Beiber, what they are going to wear, and what celebrities are in the news. However, that is a stereotype that doesn't hold true for all teenagers. During the years of needing to drive my daughter and her friends around because they were too young to drive, I have heard words and phrases come out of their mouths that were very similar to much of the dialogue of the book. One review specifically noted "breakfast exclusivity" as something no teenager would ever say and I can assure you there are teenagers that would think, and say, something exactly like this. I think John Green has done one of the most outstanding jobs of representing the teenager as I have seen the species, up close and personal.

An outstanding book that will appeal to both YA and adult reader, as young adult fiction should. Excellent
on August 5, 2017
This beautifully written story about two teens dealing with death and pain instantly pulled me in. What raises this book above the rest of the YA monotony is that these two characters are unique and interesting teenagers. They share a philosophy of life that is insightful for kids their age. Teenagers dealing with death would take stabs at trying to understand their pain and early demise and therefore, these two are not obsessing on some of the petty things that other teenagers find important.
Some of the story felt a little too contrived (the part about the recluse writer), but I enjoyed the development of Gus and Hazel’s relationship and enjoyed spending time with them and feeling their joy and pain.
on February 4, 2015
First off.
It was a quick read.
I finished it within a 24 hour period of time. Granted, I'm an adult reading YA fiction. It's not Dostoevsky ( I spent a few summers trying to get through long winded Russian on my down time ) but it still kept my attention enough that I wanted to see it to the end.
My predictions were right.
Hazel & Gus had their own fatal flaws and demise with all the typical character traits these sort of books have. The heroine doesn't know her own beauty...etc. You discussed it all above and I agree. ( yada yada yada )
There was a third character though.
Cancer. And I think, this was the one, that I wanted to shy a way from.
It's a dirty word in everyone's language throughout the world. It signifies pain and suffering no matter the language spoken. And for some of us it hits close to home.
I myself have spent much time laying in a hospital bed ( for my Crohn's ) as well as sat by my mother's bedside as she lost her battle to cancer. It is not pretty. It is raw and ugly but this book did show that their can be beautiful moments in that suffering.
There is some romanticization of cancer within this book but I am happy the author treaded lightly on it.
One thing that did stay with me after I read the book, was how the characters each always made it a point to say thank you to the nurses. For me, that rang so true. The way the author captured that moment. The vulnerbility felt when you must rely on the kindness of strangers to help you when pain is enveloping is like realizing how vast the ocean really is.
on May 23, 2014
Holy… forgive me while I cry all over my keyboard! This book is fraught with so many ups and downs that I felt completely emotionally drained while reading it! Instead of fangirling all over the place I’m going to share the quotes that had me in such a turmoil.

These made me cry! (I really cannot imagine having tears left)

- And yet still I worried. I liked being a person. I wanted to keep at it. Worry is yet another side effect of dying.

- I’m like a grenade.

- “The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars / But in ourselves.”

- They might be glad to have me around, but I was the alpha and the omega of my parents’ suffering.

- “The world,” he said, “is not a wish-granting factory.”

- Some infinities are bigger than other infinities — oh my god… this quote!!! CRY!

And these made me laugh out loud!

- A nonhot boy stares at you relentlessy and it is, at best, awkward and, at worst, a form of assault. But a hot boy… well.

- Broccoli does not in any way affect the taste of chocolate.

- “Yes,” Augustus said. “Get it. Kick the s*** out of that chair!”

Then the quotes where I couldn’t figure out whether to laugh or cry!

- “Qualities of a Good Nurse: Go,” I said.

“1. Doesn’t pun on your disability,” Isaac said.

“2. Gets blood on the first try,” I said.

“Seriously, that is huge. I mean is this my freaking arm or a dartboard? 3. No condescending voice.”

- What a slut time is. She screws everybody.

- “Bravo!”

The characters… oh the characters!!

- “Oh, I’m grand.” Augustus Waters smiled with a corner of his mouth. “I’m on a roller coaster that only goes up, my friend.”

- “You know how we make a Scotch and water in this home?”

“No, sir,” Gus said.

“We pour Scotch into a glass and then call to mind thoughts of water, and then we mix the actual Scotch with the abstracted idea of water.”

- “Sometimes it seems the universe wants to be noticed.”

Without having read this book maybe these do not make much sense but as a reader and a new fan of John Green’s I can tell you they have impact. And there are so many more I wanted to share but couldn’t due to spoilers but man… if you have yet to read this book just do yourself and read it but have tissues!
on May 28, 2014
My thoughts: Stunningly beautiful, even the second time 'round.

I've read, The Fault In Our Stars, sometime late of last year and remember knowing how the story was going to end. Now, usually I would have shy away from such premise, but have reading other John Green novels, I knew it was impossible. So here it is, my first impressions and thoughts after have reading it again.

My first impression

As I've mentioned, I knew how the story was going to end, as it does with most cancer-based plots. This is the first book, I have picked up and wanted to read and experience the “filling” – Gus and Hazel's relationship developments – part of the story, rather than wishing for an ending of my like. And, I got what I asked for, self-torture (I knew what I was jumping in to, and cried my eyes out!), a beautiful-numbing romance, and the tragic-realistic part of life. It's these kind of books that has you quietly sitting down in your reading nook, and really think about the things you have and how lucky you are to be able to live the simpler part of life … To embrace the simple things in life.

Augustus Waters: brilliant, witty, charming, and plays an important part in Hazel's life. I was immediately charmed by his wit and his personality. (As I am sure most gals have.) People like Gus, really shines and bring the best out of others.

Hazel Grace: just as brilliant, just as witty, and just as charming! Plays an important role in Augustus Water's life. Hazel, was such a passionate character! Actually, they both were. Their little trip to Van Houton's showcased that, and it had to be one of my favorite scenes.

Though the romance was loving, so was the relationships with Gus, Hazel, and their families. You not only are ripped apart by the problems with Gus and Hazel, but also what their parents had to endure. I could not help but paralleling what would have been if I were in the same situation – how devastated my family would be – to their situation. This was most emotionally-wrecking. That's the thing, how real people are able to make that connection with the characters and plot, is what makes The Fault In Our Stars, so haunting ... and scary.

Second Impression:
Just as heart-breaking yet, lovely as the first.

There is a reason The Fault In Our Stars is a hit and a reason why it is most recommend for teens (and those of all ages) … This books inspires and touches, deeply.
on February 27, 2013
I'll admit it. I did not believe I would love The Fault In Our Stars. Yes, I'd read all of the rave reviews. But a book about kids dying of cancer? And not only would I love this book, but it was going to make me laugh, too? Well, this doubting Thomas is here to tell you that my answers are a very emphatic YES and YES.

"Cancer books suck." So says sixteen year-old Hazel, the wise beyond her years narrator of The Fault In Our Stars, and a cancer...victim? No, she does not view herself as a victim. Sufferer? That doesn't seem quite right, either, because she's focused more on living than on the suffering that comes with cancer. Cancer survivor? I think she'd roll her eyes at anything that attempted to add a false feel-good tone to her certain-to-be short-lived life. So I'll go with this - Hazel is a girl who happens to have cancer. She views her cancer through realistic, but never bitter or self-pitying eyes. As Hazel says, "Even cancer isn't a bad guy really: cancer just wants to be alive."

When we meet Hazel, she is attending a support group for kids with cancer. She attends the group to appease her parents, not herself; she views it as a major nuisance, at best. All the talk of death, the discussions of feelings and fears - Hazel wants none of it. But then she meets Augustus, a newcomer to the group. He's missing a leg, but he's got looks and charm to spare, and he immediately intrigues Hazel.

You will be in love with Hazel before you've finished the first ten or twenty pages. And you will root for this young couple, even though you know one or both of their lives are doomed.

One of the many heart-breaking aspects of this book is the suffering of her parents. I don't have children, but I know there cannot be anything worse in this world than watching your child die. In Hazel's case, the watching and waiting has gone on for several years. Her father cannot participate in a discussion regarding Hazel's cancer without sobbing, and her mother has given up her own life to take care of Hazel's. As much sympathy and love as Hazel has for them, she occasionally gets angry. She lashes out at her mother and pleads with her to find something else to do besides taking care of a dying daughter. After all, once Hazel is gone, what will remain for her mother?

OK, that was a lot of dark stuff, and I promised you some humor. How about these two gems?

- Augustus expressed outrage that a 13 year-old Hazel used her "Make a Wish" on a trip to Disney World. Hazel knew it was lame, but softened the blow by adding that she went to Epcot, too.
- Hazel's friend, Kaitlyn, when discussing Augustus: "I would ride that one-legged pony all the around the corral."

The romance between Hazel and Augustus is one of the most beautful I've ever read. So much so that I happily overlooked the fact that their dialogue was unlike any that I've ever heard from any teenager (or most adults, for that matter.)

I kept waiting and waiting for the moment that I would need tissues. I thought I had the outcome nailed early on, based on what I thought was a subtle "clue," but I was wrong. We're pulled along to what we believe is the inevitable conclusion until the inevitable gets flipped on its head. And yes, then it was tissue time.

On a personal note, I visited Amsterdam and the Anne Frank House a year and a half ago. I climbed those same, steep narrow steps in the house that Hazel climbed, hauling her oxygen tank with her. Everything that she described brought back intense memories. If you get the chance to visit Amsterdam, the House is a must-see.
on February 1, 2014
[This review can also be found at anafichesdelectures.wordpress.com]

“...but there is no shortage of fault to be found amid our stars.”
Green, John (2012-01-10). The Fault in Our Stars (p. 112). Dutton Juvenile. Kindle Edition.

I hesitated many times to pick up this novel, at first, because everyone was commenting that even though it was a profound, unique love story, it was going to be a tough reading; that one has to be prepared to cry. I had just finished reading “Me Before You” by Jojo Moyes (I cried many times), and I was still debating whether I was strong enough to plunge right away.

I took courage, started and let me tell you that it wasn’t what I was expecting. The story was not really about their sickness but rather about their ordinary, normal life with unique circumstances. It portrayed how people with cancer lead a normal life as much as possible and did the best they could everyday.

“You’ll . . . you’ll . . . live your best life today. This is your war now.”
Green, John (2012-01-10). The Fault in Our Stars (p. 216). Dutton Juvenile. Kindle Edition.

The strong sense of ordinary made it extraordinary.The author manages to transform the banality of their reality into a profound, meaningful one surpassing their cancer life threatening situation.

“That’s the thing about pain,” Augustus said, and then glanced back at me. “It demands to be felt.”
Green, John (2012-01-10). The Fault in Our Stars (p. 63). Dutton Juvenile. Kindle Edition.

Hazel and Augustus love reminded me of one of Will’s poem from “This Girl” by Colleen Hoover:

“Sometimes life gets in your way. It gets all up in your damn way.”
Hoover, Colleen (2013-04-30). This Girl: A Novel (Kindle Locations 3253-3255). Atria Books. Kindle Edition.
Augustus offered a hopeful, magic love to Hazel:

“But, Gus, my love, I cannot tell you how thankful I am for our little infinity. I wouldn’t trade it for the world. You gave me a forever within the numbered days, and I’m grateful.”
Green, John (2012-01-10). The Fault in Our Stars (p. 260). Dutton Juvenile. Kindle Edition.

The novel was not predictable. Whatever you thought you were reading about, it wasn’t. The end was unexpected and tough ending. I don’t want to give anything of the plot but all I can tell you is: this is a great novel, read it, you won’t regret it.

[Message/ Quotes:]

“really, the problem is not suffering itself or oblivion itself but the depraved meaninglessness of these things, the absolutely inhuman nihilism of suffering.”
Green, John (2012-01-10). The Fault in Our Stars (p. 281). Dutton Juvenile. Kindle Edition.

I also recommend “Me Before You” by Jojo Moyes and “The End of Your Life Book Club” by Will Schwalbe.

The movie will be release sometimes this year, in 2014.

Movie Trailer: [...]
on March 7, 2014
I only cry occasionally with books. Normally it's not something I seek out, though I do welcome it if it happens. This book...ugh. I read it last night and through today, pausing my life. Here are some quotes from things I posted on Facebook while reading the book. They aren't exactly spoilers but they have a flavour of that, so be warned.

"The Fault in Our Stars. I feel like Karissa Richards recommended this before Tumblr did. A few pages in and I didn't need that heart anyway."

"Omg so other teenagers who were like me DO EXIST. DID. A touch pretentious and learned? Existential? Goofy? John Green, you are writing my high school self, except that I didn't have cancer."

"I can honestly say I have never written notes in a book like this on Kindle before.

Also John Green is trying to kill me."

"JOHN GREEN STAHP. Also, note to Nicky Sparklepants, this is how you write tragic love."

"Oh. My. God. John Green also understands what it is like to talk to literary authors as a reader. I almost want to swear some kind of oath that I will never be like the an Imperial Affliction guy. Seriously. This is what a conversation between me and GRR Martin would look like."

""There has been ugly crying in the shower. And gasping. I taught myself to cry pretty a long time ago but this is nose-running, yelping, chest-aching kind of crying. I am not sure I remember the last time I cried like this but I think it was when my grandfather died. (Of cancer, as it happens.)"

"Rational thought has veen cancelled for today due to facial rainstorms and John Green."

So yeah. But is it *good*? Well, it's beautifully written, it's unsentimental in good ways but full of feeling and sincerity, it's honest, it's realistic, and it doesn't go for easy answers. In a word, it's brilliant. Buy it, read it, love it. I'm going to do that with all his other books now.