Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Ski Trip Essentials nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Garnet Jewelry modern furniture and decor Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now

Customer reviews

37,928
The Fault in Our Stars
Format: Hardcover|Change

on April 9, 2013
I am not quite finished with the book, but so far, I think it is very well written. It covers a topic that is difficult to talk about and is often avoided. It has been challenging for me to get through; however, I feel like I should add my perspective. I was diagnosed with cancer at 10. I am now 15 years old and a teen-age cancer survivor. I am a volunteer and advocate for pediatric cancer awareness.

This book has gotten negative reviews based on several points:
1) This is from another reviewer: "The characters are not believable. They do not speak like teenagers. They do not even handle situations like teenagers do. So many interactions between Gus and Hazel are interactions which, plain and simple, just would not happen between real, emotional, scared, awkward, virgin teenagers, let alone ones with cancer who have been socially cut off for much of their lives."

*My point-of-view: Have you spent time with any of us? They are believable as teen-age cancer patients/survivors. We may look like teen-agers, but in our heads, we are not. We have had to face our own mortality and make choices we should never have to make. It makes us grow up...quickly. Most of us do not act or speak like teen-agers because that is no longer how we think. After treatment, many of us find the things most teens (and sometimes adults) are worried about are trivial. Society cuts us off, but we are not cut off from each other. These types of interactions do happen. And, it is emotional and scary, but we learn to tell it like it is, without the normal fluff and awkwardness. We find 'normal' where we can and try to live every single day we have because we know that time is an illusion.

2) The parents are not real, not deep characters, and they do not have their own identities.

*My point-of-view: I have seen my own parents (and siblings) and the parents of other friends struggle with this. Many times, they do not have their own identities anymore. Every single minute is spent trying to make it to the next! They try to keep the family together and functioning, in spite of the effects of treatment, fevers and midnight trips to the emergency room, 3 weeks of the month spent in isolation, jobs in jeopardy, birthdays and holidays interrupted, not to mention talks that parents never want to have with their child. I've talked to my mom about this. This becomes their identity. My mom said their jobs become about doing whatever it takes, travelling all over the country (which is very common), researching new studies, and new medicines, all to help us survive and thrive with grace and dignity. It is also their job to prepare, if treatments don't work, to help us die with just as much grace and dignity.

I hope everyone can read this with an open mind and an open heart. Then, reach out to the patients and survivors in your communities. They are wise beyond their years, funny, brave and inspiring.
5150+ comments| 3,090 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 5, 2016
I'm not usually one for young adult fiction, but this book absolutely fantastic. It reaches deep inside of me. It’s a story of a quiet tragedy, love, and an undeniable reality. Hazel and Augustus face mortality and so many of the meaningless details of life. It forces them to face who they really truly are. How would they carry on... Terminal disease gives you fear, for yourself, for your loved ones. It causes pain that you are the reason to make your family feel worried and cry at night. Green wrote this sad, tragic, yet beautiful story, it brings tears to my eyes.
0Comment| 166 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 2, 2014
The Fault in Our Stars is the memorable and moving story about a group of teens in a cancer discussion group and their valiant goal to leave a mark in this earth. Hazel's father tells her "I believe the universe wants to be noticed. I believe the universe is improbably biased towards consciousness, that it rewards intelligence in part because the universe enjoys its elegance being observed." Simply put, this is a book about the meaning and purpose of life, it is about the impact of our existence, our footprint in time. When Dick Clark of American Bandstand spoke about death, he said he wanted to live as long as he was relevant. This book is about the teens staring death in the face, knowing of it's impending arrival and the question of what was it all for. Both Hazel and Augustus suffer with some form of cancer, they have been robbed a joyous childhood, fun and games replaced by painful treatments and operations. Their lives revolve around the hard work of staying alive and the constant cheerleading from heart broken parents. They are bright and cynical, and understand each other. They fall in love and I don't want to say more, but the depth of their passion, the deep communion of their hearts made the characters come alive. This was a great book. I was not fond of the beginning,but Augustus tenacity won me over and the reader will fall in love with Gus's loyalty and companionship as deeply as Hazel. The ageless yearning of the characters made me forget that they were teens.

Hazel wishes for "a little infinity", the time to savor her budding love with Augustus, knowing instinctively it will end too soon. The dehumanizing treatments strip the patients of their humanity, healthy people distancing from them, remembering only the person who existed before the treatments changed them. Together, Hazel and Augustus carve out a pocket of time to discover the sweet perfection of loving a person so much life seems meaningless with out them. Augustus complained, " I always thought my obituary would be in all the newspapers, that I'd have a story worth telling. I always had this suspicion that I was special." The Fault in Our Stars give a face to the victims of cancer. The story so insightful, the characters moving, yet without pity. This book reminds us that we are all here for a reason, no matter how much time we have, or what we accomplish, rich or poor, successful or not, that a rut in the road of life has been created with a lasting impression that will be there forever.
on January 7, 2018
Even knowing the outcome of this book didn't make it any less heartwrenching. All of us know someone that has had Cancer. Most of us know people that have died because of Cancer. Losing someone you love to this devastating and cruel disease takes the breathe right out if your lungs. A parent should never have to bury their child. Green captures the anguish and grief perfectly of Augustus's family and loved ones. I silently cried through about two thirds of this book, one loud sob somewhere towards the end. Beautifully written.
on June 2, 2014
This book did things to me. It is such a sweet story about love and loss. Dealing with the lot that life has given you and being bold in the face of every obstacle that is thrown your way. There were moments that made me burst out in laughter and others that had me hugging the pillow and crying.

The book follows the life of Hazel who is living with cancer. Her mom is making her live by going out to a support group. This is where she meets Augustus. Hazel & Gus' love story is inspiring and heartbreaking all at the same time. Those two are wise beyond their years and suffer more than any teenager should.

There is a fun cast of secondary characters as well. Isaac is their mutual friend from the support group. He plays a pretty significant role in both of their stories. And both Hazel & Gus' parents play big rolls in the book. Then there is their author, who lets them down but ultimately teaches them a lesson as well.

There are not enough words to describe how wonderful this book is and nothing I can say will give it the justice it deserves. Have your tissues ready.
on April 2, 2015
The Fault in our Stars is a young-adult fiction, romance novel written by John Green. The female protagonist in the book, Hazel Grace Lancaster who has had cancer in her lungs for 4 years is trying to live a normal life. Hazel has many thing in her life that prevent her from living normal, one being a support group she must go to every week in order to “help” her with her depression. The first support group meeting they have in the book Hazel runs into a kid name Augustus Waters. Later into her support group she ends up seeing Gus staring at her, the whole time. When Hazel walks into the parking lot Gus is there running after her waiting to say hello. The relationship of these two beings develops into something bigger, Hazel does not want it to on the other hand because she feels that she is a ticking time bomb that could explode and hurt anyone in her way. With a few bumps in the road these two lovebirds had almost made it.
The Fault in our Stars is an incredible book that can be inspiring to many people to show them that it will pay off to live life in the moment and to not live life in the past nor the future. Most of the time people think about the future or worrying about what happened the days before, but in the book The Fault in our Stars John Green shows through his characters Hazel and Augustus that it is only the present that counts. An example of this is when Hazel did not really think about the effects that could happen from her having cancer and going on an airplane but she instead chose to feel happy about doing something that her heart would follow. In this book John Green also shows how when one's unhappiness and not living life in the moment can affect them and people around them. One example of this is when Hazel was scared to let anyone into her life because she felt she was a ticking time bomb ready to explode. The author used this metaphor to show how when one day she passes she’s going to end up “destroying” the people who love her, which means she is thinking and living on what’s happening in the future.
The Fault in our Stars is overall a great book and I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a funny, thrilling, and a tragic reality of being alive and in love novel.
The Fault in our Stars is an amazingly crafted novel and could teach you the true meanings in life.
on May 4, 2017
Hazel Grace never wants to see anybody, and she just sits around, watches her favorite TV show, and reads the book "An Imperial Affliction" over and over. When her mom makes her go to Support Group, she meets others like her and makes new friends that will maybe make her life worthwhile.
on January 28, 2015
With so many reviews, it'll be hard to come up with anything that hasn't been touched on, but I liked it enough to add a say or two to what's here.

The negatives seem to focus mostly on the book's plot and language being rather contrived. Um, I hate to state the obvious--but it is fiction, folks. Actually, I don't read much fiction myself, but I found the book a wonderful window into a world not many are privy to--that of the young who have lessons we can learn from as well. That in itself is probably too foreign to many readers; they can't stand the thought of young people with a message (I'm in my 60's, btw).

It seems like the naysayers must be robots who like their fiction safe and always predictable. And, of course, one of the book's very themes touches on the wild and totally unpredictable ride the dying trip can involve. It does often alter perspectives, sometimes dramatically. It does make life seem almost metaphorical. In general, you can't lump all people of any age into one type, especially those on the terminal illness slope. Judging the book's characters on that basis is odd; the author had a tale which he handled well. Actually, I did think a bit of the plot was contrived--guess what? It's fiction! But obviously, it touched a lot of people.

I came to this book not colored by anything the author had already written, nor have I seen the movie version, other than YouTube snippets (movies by their nature usually diminish one's book experience). And, as mentioned, I rarely read fiction anyway. But I found the book to be a quality presentation of what remains unseen and sanitized by most, so kudos to Mr. Green's take...I found the characters quite "real" based on what I myself have observed.

It's a remarkable tale, and sure, the plot isn't universally applicable (fiction, remember!). Nor are the characters robot-like--they even speak metaphorically sometimes (horrors!). But if death doesn't bring out metaphors, what will?
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon January 20, 2012
I can't believe the book is over! Hazel and Augustus will live on in my memory forever. How can a mere human being(John Green) create such real, living breathing characters? The star-crossed lovers sprang to life from the very first page of this wonderful and truly unforgettable book.

My son once said that reading books allowed you to know what it felt like to live someone else's life, and The Fault in Our Stars gives us a chance to have terminal cancer. While this might make the book to seem like a serious downer, John Green's skill as a writer makes Stars a study in what it means to be human.

Hazel knows she not as heroic as cancer victims are supposed to, she's just a teenager who wants to live. She describes herself as the grenade ready to go off at any time touring the lives of all those that she loves. Gus is a boy who just wants to have mattered in the world. A boy who realizes that the cancer that could kill him is made up of himself.

What the book teaches us is that we find what we're looking for by giving it to someone else. A profound story on so many levels. If I were a teacher of middle school to high school students, this would be required reading. I will certainly be passing it along to all of my friends.
on March 26, 2017
This book opened my mind to life. It made me realize that we all need to notice others, for by noticing others, we help them. By noticing others, they don't feel alone. They feel like they are cared about.
The story is so sweet it makes you want to cry, and its so gentle it makes you feel so safe. And yet while it does all of these things, it tortures you by beating you will the maker that is realization.