YED Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Subscribe & Save Valentines Day STEM Book House Cleaning Gleason Gleason Gleason  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Go Explore Outdoor Recreation on Amazon NYNN

37,767
Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-10 of 31,484 reviews(Verified Purchases). Show all reviews
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon September 5, 2016
I'm not usually one for young adult fiction, but this book absolutely fantastic. It reaches deep inside of me. It’s a story of a quiet tragedy, love, and an undeniable reality. Hazel and Augustus face mortality and so many of the meaningless details of life. It forces them to face who they really truly are. How would they carry on... Terminal disease gives you fear, for yourself, for your loved ones. It causes pain that you are the reason to make your family feel worried and cry at night. Green wrote this sad, tragic, yet beautiful story, it brings tears to my eyes.
0Comment| 151 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 10, 2012
I've read a lot of books, but this is one of my all time favorites; that's not something I can say about very many books. I'll make it simple; I'm a fifteen year old teenage boy. When I usually read a book, I toss it aside and move on to the next one. And, like most teenage boys, I am not very emotional. At the end of this book, I cried. Not just a few tears either; I was full on bawling my eyes out. That's how good this book is. I promise you, unless you have a heart of stone, you will love this book.
3838 comments| 1,823 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 14, 2012
Part one: The Book.

"The Fault in Our Stars" is a work that defies its genre in all the best ways possible. The silly boycrushes and superficial gossip that most writers think makes up 99% of high school steps aside for a beautiful, honest, heartrending story of life, death, and love. I can only compare this book to Markus Zuzak's award-winning "The Book Thief" in terms of sophistication and depth.

Hazel and Augustus are two of the most fleshed-out characters, particularly teenagers, that I have ever read. Their story is a joy and a privilege to read. Furthermore, their love is more real than anything else you will ever find on the Young Adult shelves.

Note- Read it alone if you can. People give you weird looks when you aren't sure if you're laughing or crying.

Part Two: A Response to Several Reviews

This bit is written in response to those who find the dialogue unrealistic, particularly for wee little teenagers. To them, I'd firstly like to request that you stop being condescending. Does every teenager speak like that? No, of course not. But please don't assume that means all teenagers are incapable of using words with more than two syllables, or lack the brainpower to be witty, insightful, and existential in conversation.

Having spent the last five or so years in this nebulous "teenagerdom", I believe I may be qualified enough to judge the "teenageriness" of Green's dialogue. Do the characters sound like teenagers? No. They don't sound like iCarly, or Bella Swan, or Troy Bolton or the majority of teens in pop culture.

But they do sound like me, and my best friends, and the people I surround myself with in high school. They sound like people, people I'd like to meet. Like the books defiance of the Young Adult Genre, Hazel and Augustus defy the conventional teenager model, resulting in some of the most honest and real characters I have read.

Part Three: A Letter

Dear John Green,
Thank you.
Sincerely,
A Young Adult
1010 comments| 420 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Although his brother Hank might argue that the real "fault in our stars" is that our sun contains limited amounts of hydrogen, which will cause it to eventually run out of the only fuel source capable of supporting its mass against gravity, thereby expanding until its outer shell envelops our tiny planet and consumes it in a fiery death, I think it is more likely that John Green's title refers to a line from Shakespeare's Julius Caesar:

"The fault, dear Brutus is not in our stars, / But in ourselves, that we are underlings." Caesar (I, ii, 140-141)

What does this quote mean and how does it relate to a novel about two kids dying of cancer? I'll explore that below.

The Fault in Our Stars is the story of two 16-year-olds who meet at a cancer support group. Hazel Lancaster, the narrator, is afflicted with terminal thyroid cancer which has ravaged her lungs enough to necessitate the use of an oxygen tank wherever she goes. It is during a support meeting that she is introduced to Augustus Waters, whose leg was claimed by a malignant bone tumor and who soon becomes the object of her affection.

When I learned of the plot of this novel, I was initially a bit turned off. I'm reminded of a comment a friend made when I asked her if she wanted to go see the movie 50/50, upon which she exclaimed "who wants to go see a movie about people dying of cancer?" I couldn't come up with a satisfactory response, and we settled for a two-hour movie about the competitive world of robot fighting (which still caused me to shed a tear). So why would anyone, especially young adults, want to read about "cancer kids?" As Hazel herself states in the novel, "cancer books suck." But "The Fault in Our Stars" isn't about cancer, and it's not about death. Cancer is an important subject in the book, but it's not nearly as important as the characters. The disease is mainly used as a vehicle for moving along the development of Hazel and Augustus. In the absence of teen wizards, dystopian death races, and swooning vampire/werewolf feuds, it allows us to view the protagonists in a more complex setting than the traditional high school drama. It also forces the characters to grow up much faster than they should, which I think is important for Green's audience as well as his needs as a writer. The "young adult" label should not be cause for dismissal to older audiences. As equally evident in his previous novels, Green's writing is not dumbed-down in an attempt to cater to a misguided adult notion of the intelligence of teenagers. While Hazel and Augustus certainly share in the same adolescent interests as many of their peers, their dialogue is written at a level that betrays a deeper level of maturity. Amidst trips to the mall and countless video game sessions, the characters expound on subjects in life that everyone faces. While it might seem strange to hear a 16-year-old use words like "cloying" and "sobriquet," this is par for the course in a John Green novel. And strangely, it works very well (provided you keep a dictionary handy). Even though I initially balked at reading a "young adult" title (I'm well into adulthood), I realized that just because a book is marketed toward adolescents, doesn't mean it can't be enjoyed by those outside that niche. I'm hesitant to make the comparison, but "The Fault in our Stars" bridges the age gap in the same vein as Salinger's The Catcher in the Rye. It contains content and themes thoroughly relatable to a young audience, while being presented in a way that adults will appreciate.

Green's characters always come off a bit stiff to me and start off sounding like pretentious jerks who are trying too hard to grow up, but I always warm up to them and end up relating to them by the middle of the novel. Gus was no exception. However my opinion of him changed as early as chapter 2, and I knew as soon as I heard him have a conversation with Hazel about their counselor's incorrect usage of the word "literally" (a fact that had literally been bothering me since it was mentioned in the first chapter) that I knew we could be friends. The likeability factor of these characters is one of the reasons the rest of the story can be so heartbreaking to follow at times. Even though I was fully aware from the beginning that Hazel's condition is terminal, she doesn't behave in a way that constantly reminds me of that fact. Instead, her sarcastic wit and outlook on life draw me to her as someone I could easily be friends with (if only there wasn't that problem of her being a fictional character). From very early on, I'm sucked into an emotional attachment to the characters in the story that made it very difficult to actually put the book down (and one of the reasons I will probably read it several more times). Returning to the titular quote above, although it is fully explained in the novel, I think the line from Julius Caesar is also appropriate as a title because Hazel does not let her ultimate fate determine the course of her life.

I thought Green's last two solo books, Katherines and Paper Towns, were pretty good, but they didn't capture that sense of awe I felt after finishing his first novel. And again, I think that's because I've seen such a huge change over the years in Green's ability to connect his characters to the reader. The Fault in our Stars returns me to that era and I'm reminded of just how good of a writer he is. I do not know if it will win the same Young Adult Fiction awards Alaska received, but I do know it will be regarded by myself and many more as one of, if not his best work to date. Regardless of their literary interests, I would definitely recommend it to anyone who is a fan of great writing and character-driven stories.

It should also be mentioned that Green personally signed all 150,000 copies of the first printing of this novel. So if you are buying it soon after release, your copy will almost certainly be autographed.

John Green's other novels include:

Looking for Alaska (2005)
An Abundance of Katherines (2006)
Paper Towns (2008)
Let It Snow: Three Holiday Romances (coauthored - 2010)
Will Grayson, Will Grayson (coauthored - 2010)

DFTBA
4343 comments| 1,264 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 13, 2012
Reading this book will possibly be one of the most masochistic things that you will ever do. This is because it is going to cause you real, visceral pain. You are going to cry. I say this as someone who never, ever cries at books, and yet this book brought me to tears. I don't know if I will ever be able to reread this, because it affected me so deeply the first time around that I don't know if I could handle another time. I think the closer you are to the issues in the book, the more it it is going to make you feel. This might be the only place that I would say to exercise caution, because this is not a book where all the problems and sadness are neatly wrapped up by the end. It ends on an incredibly satisfying note, but it is not a happy ending, and so if your life has been closely impacted by cancer at some point then this book might be a little too close to the issue, if this book had come out a couple of years ago I think I might not have been able to read it.

It's not all sadness, though. It also made me laugh out loud, and I got so incredibly invested in the characters that their futures were, for a brief time, intertwined with my own. I cared about what happened to them, on a level that most books can only hope to achieve. The prose is beautiful and incredibly intelligent, like John's other books you feel like you're learning something every time you turn the page. The characters are so witty and wonderful that I wish they really existed in my life.

I was a little bit wary going in, because of all the hype and the way the Nerdfighter community tends to place John's books on such a high pestle that it's amazing he can continuously top the previous ones. This one lives up to everything, though. I think it's his best one yet, because at the heart of everything it made me feel something, and that quality is one that not many other books have been able to attain. I feel emotionally tired after reading it, and it almost seems like it made me a better person on some level.

This book is going to change you. It's breathtaking and heartbreaking and desperately witty, all at the same time, and you should definitely read it. You'll come out of it a different person than when you started it.
review image
VINE VOICEon April 25, 2012
Boy, do I have a feeling I'm going to provoke a lot of anger among the Nerdfighter community with this. All I ask is that you hear me out.

I've read all of John Green's full-length, independently written novels (opting to skip all the collaborations and side projects). I find him to be a mostly charming, witty writer, but I've never obsessed over him the way his impressive legion of fans (called Nerdfighters) have. Clearly, I've enjoyed him enough to keep checking in every time he's published a new book, but there have been enough flaws or annoyances to keep me a little jaded about the experience. The Fault in Our Stars may have officially tipped the scales against Green for me. It's the first time I've really found myself irritated by a Green novel.

I'm going to insert a disclaimer here before anyone tries to accuse me of lacking sensitivity for people who are terminally ill. Both of my parents have had, or still have, cancer at the time of this writing. My partner lost his mother to cancer. I also had a beloved aunt who spent the first twenty-three years of my life fighting recurrences of cancer before succumbing (in fact, I was never actually supposed to meet her, since she was given roughly six months to live upon her initial diagnosis--which was six years before I was even born). I've worn a Live Strong bracelet on my wrist every day for the last seven years to remind me of their struggles and the importance of really living every single day. Furthermore, I count Wit: A Play among my favorite books and Terms of Endearment reduced me to emotional rubble (seriously, I can't even watch it. I cried so hard I made ludicrous, hiccupy snuffling noises that made me glad no one was there to witness it).

So please believe me when I say that when I found the protagonists (Hazel Grace Lancaster and Augustus Waters) of The Fault in Our Stars irritating, it had nothing to do with their illnesses and everything to do with the way Green constructed their personalities. I'll get to my problems with the plot itself at the end.

Green has an upstanding history of creating lovable nerds. He is an author who really understands and celebrates the underdog--the so-called "losers" of the world. It's why his fan community is known as Nerdfighters (not to mention why he has such a massive fan community at all). He's subverting the paradigm that being intelligent or "weird" is wrong (if Glee were capable of consistent storytelling it would be spreading the same message on TV every week). But here's the thing: in all of his other books I've believed in his over-articulate outcasts without an incredible suspension of disbelief. I don't believe in Hazel and Augustus the same way. Their dialogue is at best contrived, at worst cloying and, well, ridiculous.

I chalk this down to the fact that Hazel and Augustus are worth more to Green as Metaphors than as characters. Everything they do has to be Significant and Important and Meaningful. The main plotpoint, where they embark on a quest to find the author of Hazel's favorite book (which famously lacks closure) so they can find out what happens after the last sentence, is a rather obvious metaphor for their fear of death. For goodness' sake, Hazel can't even eat breakfast without opining about how eggs are the victims of typecasting. "I mean seriously," she intones, "How did scrambled eggs get stuck with breakfast exclusivity? You can put bacon on a sandwich without anyone freaking out. But the moment your sandwich has an egg, boom, it's a breakfast sandwich ... I don't want to have 'breakfast for dinner' ... I want to have scrambled eggs for dinner without this ridiculous construction that a scrambled egg-inclusive meal is breakfast even when it occurs at dinnertime."* Do you get it, you guys? THE EGG IS A METAPHOR. I just blew your mind, didn't I? It's OK, take a second if you need to.

Augustus is, if possible, even more obviously cratered with Metaphors. His desire to die heroically is repeatedly signified by his obsession with sacrificing his virtual life in video games instead of winning the game (then, irritatingly, Green feels the need to explain it toward the end anyway Just In Case You Missed It). He's the kind of guy who likes to keep an unlit cigarette between his lips, and will gladly explain it's metaphorical significance to you if you ask politely ("You put the killing thing right between your teeth, but you don't give it the power to do its killing."), prompting Hazel to remark that he chooses his behaviors based on their metaphorical resonance and Fall Irrevocably In Love With Him.

And there's the other problem I have with Augustus and Hazel: their romance feels like a plot construction far more than it feels like a natural stars-crossed Passion For The Ages. In Green's other books, I believed that Miles fell for self-destructive Alaska, I believed that Margo Roth Spiegelman captivated Quentin Jacobsen enough to make him search for her after she disappeared (in Looking for Alaska and Paper Towns respectively). There was something about their force-of-nature presence that made it believable that someone like Miles or Quentin would be lured in. But Augustus Waters just shows up in Hazel's cancer support group and stares at her like Creepy McCreeperson and she just swoons at him. I'm sorry, that's almost as bad as Bella Swan falling in love with Edward Cullen even though he apparently hates her and is stalking her outside her bedroom window. Green attempts to play it cool by having Hazel recognize that she'd be creeped out if it were an ugly guy staring at her, but that doesn't make their love affair any less sudden or any less inexplicable. The plot won't work if they aren't in love, so reason be damned, and there it is: love at first sight.

And that brings us to my problems with the plot itself.

Observation: repeatedly beginning lines of dialogue in which your characters are supposed to make an Important Observation about Life As We All Know It with "Observation: ..." gets old, especially when the Observation(:) is as trite as "standing in line is a form of oppression." Observation: Random Acts of Capitalization don't make your writing endearing or quirky. Please To Stop.

Nevermind the fact that all the peripheral characters are completely flat (definitely an accusation I never expected to make about John Green)--if they don't matter to the author, why should they matter to us? That the plot is dully predictable is a greater offense to me. The "plot twist" recurrence, the acceptance of fate, the lessons learned by the protagonist at the end ... you see it all coming a mile away.

The strength of The Fault in Our Stars is that it refuses to offer false comfort regarding a subject matter that does not have any happy ending: we are all going to die, but we live our lives pretending that words like "forever" or "always" have meaning (think of Isaac's subplot in re: the latter word). I suspect this is a new concept for many people; maybe that's why it resonates with so many readers. Perhaps I'm more morbid than your average person, but it was nothing new for me. And it's been done better (the aforementioned Wit for one). The Fault in Our Stars wants to have it both ways: it wants to reflect the harsh realities of impermanence and death, but it wants to leave the reader feeling good in the end. Consider that the book Hazel loves so much is lauded for remaining honest through its complete lack of closure, but Green provides us with a full denouement and conclusion. It derides cheap sentimentality, then uses it as a crutch to make the reader Feel Something. In the end you just can't have it both ways, and that's why The Fault in Our Stars is a failure to me.

Grade: D+

*"breakfast exlusivity?" WHO TALKS LIKE THAT?! You can tell me that these kids have been forced into early adulthood due to their circumstances until you're blue in the face and I won't buy it. I'm well into adulthood right now and have never heard anyone, ever, talk in such a contrived manner.
4747 comments| 629 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 6, 2013
I read the book because of the many mentions I'd seen in Top 10 lists and the high reviews on Amazon. I have to say I thought it was just "ok". The main characters of Hazel and Augustus came across as characters written by an adult male, which they were. The believability factor of the way the characters were written just seemed off. It came across like an 80's movie where the teenagers are geniuses and the adults are one-dimensional Simpletons. The ever-present looming death of the main characters hung on each page to the point that you became numb to the emotions it was supposed to invoke. I'm happy that so many others were moved and loved the book so much, but for me, it disingenuously tried too hard.
on March 16, 2012
I loved this book when I started it. It instantly had my attention because it felt like it was in the same vein as "It's Kind of a Funny Story" and "50/50". Mind you, this is the first John Green book I've read. But for a book that seemingly seeks to kill the typical-cancer-book-stereotype, it just barely succeeds. It's not a bad book but a lot of it is ridiculously predictable. The characters are a little flat, their attempts at charm come off as pretentious and there are some situations that are just so improbable that they're annoying to read (Peter Van Houten in the second and completely unnecessary third act). I'm not bashing the book. It's a mildly interesting read that I personally find overrated.
on January 15, 2012
As a 40 year old male, I'm not ashamed to admit I like John Green's books. In each he seems to capture the essence of adolescence that remains with us into adulthood. In my favorite book, An Abundance of Katherines, Green expertly captures the struggles of a gifted teen in ways that speak to what it is like to be a gifted adult.

It The Fault in Our Stars, Green takes on teenagers facing terminal cancer. Hazel Grace Lancaster is a teen living on borrowed time, with lung cancer and only a short time to live. She meets Augustin "Gus" Waters, a cancer survivor, at a support group and soon they fall in love. They bond over Hazel's favorite book, "An Imperial Affliction", by the fictional Peter Van Houten. The book tells the story of a girl with cancer and ends suddenly when the girl dies, and both Hazel and Gus long to learn what happens next. As their romance blossoms, they conspire to meet Peter Van Houten, who lives in the Netherlands.

While I cannot speak with experience, Green seems to expertly capture the feelings of children with cancer, who are strong not because of some great inner power, but because they have no other choice. Gus and Hazel, and Gus's friend Issac all have authentic voices and relationships with their parents that feel true. There are many times when Green, with a few lines of dialogue, brings tears to your eyes by simply detailing the words kids and parents exchange when faced with such terrible fates.

Where the book falls short to me Peter Van Houten. On the page, he never seems more than a plot device to hinge the book on. While they help set up some wonderful sequences is Holland, the interaction with the character himself seems false, and only a way to setup the twist in the middle of the book and an ending that, without spoiling it, seems overwritten and false.

Still, Green has a wonderful way of capturing the mindset of certain types of teenagers that feels timeless. The Fault In Our Stars is worth the read. Just bring a tissue.
1111 comments| 127 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 11, 2012
...but that's a John Green novel for you. I was only 7 percent through the book, according to Kinderella (my Kindle) and had to stop immediately and do my dishes, or I knew I would be sitting there all night. I was also moved to send John Green an e-mail immediately, telling him how brilliant his writing is and how much I learn from reading his books. (I am a 48-year-old woman, a YA-author-in-progress, who reads everything, but has a special love for good YA fiction.)

I loved Hazel and Augustus pretty much immediately, and the book (which I picked up again after doing my dishes and proceeded to read until I was finished) took my emotions on a journey as wild and unexpected as Augustus and Hazel's. One thing I love about John Green's books is how they can't be characterized. His books are always so much more than the sum of their parts. My husband asked me what the book was "about," and all I could respond was, "Everything."

That being said, I did not give the book 5 stars, only because I felt - with all due respect - that it lost track a bit in both tone and momentum towards the end, when the plot grew a bit more contrived than I've come to expect from Green. I only give 5 stars to books that leave me feeling like, "This was the best book I've EVER read!" even for a little while. I didn't feel that way, but I did feel like I'd been on the rollercoaster with Hazel and Augustus, and I was left pretty much a red-faced, snot-nosed mess.

I adored some of the secondary characters as well, such as Isaac and Hazel's parents, and even the walk-on character of the waiter at the fancy Dutch restaurant. Drinking champagne will forever be all the sweeter because of him!

I've read quite a few excellent books about living and dying this past year, but none have made me think and feel as much about both as "The Fault in Our Stars."