Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Customer reviews

37,945
The Fault in Our Stars
Format: Hardcover|Change

on April 9, 2013
I am not quite finished with the book, but so far, I think it is very well written. It covers a topic that is difficult to talk about and is often avoided. It has been challenging for me to get through; however, I feel like I should add my perspective. I was diagnosed with cancer at 10. I am now 15 years old and a teen-age cancer survivor. I am a volunteer and advocate for pediatric cancer awareness.

This book has gotten negative reviews based on several points:
1) This is from another reviewer: "The characters are not believable. They do not speak like teenagers. They do not even handle situations like teenagers do. So many interactions between Gus and Hazel are interactions which, plain and simple, just would not happen between real, emotional, scared, awkward, virgin teenagers, let alone ones with cancer who have been socially cut off for much of their lives."

*My point-of-view: Have you spent time with any of us? They are believable as teen-age cancer patients/survivors. We may look like teen-agers, but in our heads, we are not. We have had to face our own mortality and make choices we should never have to make. It makes us grow up...quickly. Most of us do not act or speak like teen-agers because that is no longer how we think. After treatment, many of us find the things most teens (and sometimes adults) are worried about are trivial. Society cuts us off, but we are not cut off from each other. These types of interactions do happen. And, it is emotional and scary, but we learn to tell it like it is, without the normal fluff and awkwardness. We find 'normal' where we can and try to live every single day we have because we know that time is an illusion.

2) The parents are not real, not deep characters, and they do not have their own identities.

*My point-of-view: I have seen my own parents (and siblings) and the parents of other friends struggle with this. Many times, they do not have their own identities anymore. Every single minute is spent trying to make it to the next! They try to keep the family together and functioning, in spite of the effects of treatment, fevers and midnight trips to the emergency room, 3 weeks of the month spent in isolation, jobs in jeopardy, birthdays and holidays interrupted, not to mention talks that parents never want to have with their child. I've talked to my mom about this. This becomes their identity. My mom said their jobs become about doing whatever it takes, travelling all over the country (which is very common), researching new studies, and new medicines, all to help us survive and thrive with grace and dignity. It is also their job to prepare, if treatments don't work, to help us die with just as much grace and dignity.

I hope everyone can read this with an open mind and an open heart. Then, reach out to the patients and survivors in your communities. They are wise beyond their years, funny, brave and inspiring.
5150+ comments| 3,058 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 5, 2016
I'm not usually one for young adult fiction, but this book absolutely fantastic. It reaches deep inside of me. It’s a story of a quiet tragedy, love, and an undeniable reality. Hazel and Augustus face mortality and so many of the meaningless details of life. It forces them to face who they really truly are. How would they carry on... Terminal disease gives you fear, for yourself, for your loved ones. It causes pain that you are the reason to make your family feel worried and cry at night. Green wrote this sad, tragic, yet beautiful story, it brings tears to my eyes.
0Comment| 162 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 14, 2013
First things, first. I'm not an established fan of John Green. Just a reader who bought the book on the recommendation of all the excited reviews. Read it in a day, and I liked it. Appreciated the writer's craft a bit more than the story.

There's not a ton of story here. Two sick kids enjoy a meaningful transformative romance, adding more depth to their doomed lives. Tragic, pretty, honest, moving. Not a ton of surprises.

John Green is a talented writer. You'll enjoy the author's craft. As most chapters ended, I found myself thinking, "Well done, John." He did an excellent job choosing words, creating rhythm, evoking emotion. He captured both Amsterdam and Indianapolis (the two settings for the story) very well. He makes you feel both the hope and the fear, mixing constantly on nearly every page.

The age of the characters felt about three years off. Instead of 16/17, they should have been 20. In fact, the author makes a point of making the teenage narrator an academically-advanced college student, although we never quite understand why she's taking classes. It was almost as if the author was apologizing to us for having to make these characters four years younger than they should have been. Or, perhaps the author likes using college education as a hope mechanism.

The author's portrayal of the perspective of young people with cancer felt incredibly authentic. Every cynical view felt real. The book holds you accountable for every dumb thing you've ever said, thought, or assumed about kids with cancer. Hazel's use of her "sick kid with cancer's Wish" was brilliant.

If I had one criticism, it's the same one I had after reading PERKS OF BEING A WALLFLOWER. The book feels written for the inevitable movie. The teenage romance at the center of the story is very sweet, and of course, the author makes you love the object of the narrator's affection. Why Augustus had to be "hot" escapes me (do we feel more sorry for good looking kids with cancer?). I guess it's a Team Edward thing... a tragic teenage boy with a hot body resonates more? Nothing difficult to film here - funny scenes, emotional moments, flawed-yet-noble parents, supporting characters with funny lines, and lots of dialogue that will easily transfer to the screen. I suppose that's what most writers have in mind these days. Augustus will make a lovely launching point for the next Zac Efron - every young actor is going to want to be the hot, cool, sensitive, poetic boy with cancer. The young male actor who nails the Isaac role will also do well as the funny, not-as-hot-as-the-main-actor actor. Agents' careers will be made and ruined according to who lands these roles. (Note to young actress, Shailene Woodley - please go more Jennifer Lawrence than Kristen Stewart in this role if you want to stand up next to your inevitably glowing co-star.)

Oh yeah, back to the book. My advice is that it's a good read. Hardly my favorite of the year, but a good use of a lazy Saturday. You'll feel more sensitive for having read it, you'll appreciate good writing, and you'll look forward to the soundtrack. Personally, I look forward to the day John Green writes a more audacious adult story without an eye so keenly trained on the film option.
on June 7, 2017
Easily, one of my favorite books! I fell in love with the characters and the writing style of John Green. I had to read everything he ever wrote after reading this book. The Fault In Our Stars is his best work.

The emotional journeys of these characters were so real. I felt everything they went through. I rarely re-read a book as there are way too many that I want to read, but I've read this twice and seen the movie. Of course, the book is better ;)
on July 18, 2013
Usually I don't buy into overly hyped books, they often are all hype no substance and I end up feeling had. You have had to have lived under a rock not to have heard the hype over The Fault in Our Stars a book so loved Hollywood got into a bidding war over the rights.

So yeah I though another overly hyped YA novel and about kids with cancer to boot, nah I'll pass but the it was super cheap this week and so I gave it a go. I sure wish I paid full price. I feel guilty buying it on sale. It's that great.

Hazel has lung cancer and she meets Augustus who is in remission for bone cancer at a teens with cancer support group. They strike up a friendship and romance comparing survivor notes and their love of books.

They become obsessed over a book and it's non ending to the point that Augustus uses his make a wish on both of them going to Amsterdam to meet the author.

I won't give away anymore of the plot as not to ruin this beautiful book. I rarely cry while reading but this book made me cry often. But it also made me laugh a lot.

Please don't overlook this perfect gem because it's a YA book or because of the subject matter of The Fault in Our Stars. It was one of the best books I've read this year!
on October 2, 2013
This was a really good story and written very well. I really liked it but I didn't love it! There was a lot of hype with this one and I don't feel that it lived up to it.

Hazel Grace Lancaster is dying of cancer and goes to her weekly Cancer Kid Support Group where she meets Augustus (Gus) Waters and they develop a kindred friendship right away.

Hazel Grace had already written her life story, but everything changes when Gus comes into her life. She is now more active and taking advantage to what life she has left as a teen. This is her story and how her views differ from the norm.

This book deals with life and death and the life of cancer. It was well written and I think John Green is a fantastic author. Even though I didn't love this story, I would be willing to read another one of his books.
on September 28, 2017
This is a beautifully written book! The story is so beautiful but heart-wrenching and the characters are so easy to get to know. John Green knows exactly how to get into your heart and mind and engage you for the entire duration of the book.

I’ve heard a million times about how amazing this book is but had never picked it up until now. John Green allowed the Hazel and Augustus’ diseases to seem irrelevant while he takes you to a different aspect of the story, their love life. I loved his language and ability to transform the reader into a different and more joyful land.

Because of the mature themes, I would recommend this book for young adults due to the fact that Green includes sexual references, cursing, and what may seem like dark themes such as Hazel’s terminal cancer.

Overall, this is one of my favorite books I’ve read so far and I would love to recommend it for others and even read it again myself!
on October 26, 2017
This is a story about star crossed young lovers who find first and last love only equaled by Romeo and his Juliet. The story has all all of the passion of first love that is actually reciprocated. The funny awkward romanticism that is only found when young people try to express their feelings as in the orange picnic. Before becoming a sticky romance novel, the shadow of death is always present. The very real possibility of death that actually enters the story before the finding of first love. This novel leaves me remembering about the love and loss that I have experienced in my life. The same and yet different feelings because my loss happened when in my sixties. This story brings it all back. The feelings are the same in spite of the differences in years. The author John Green skillfully brings the reader to understand the universal language of love and loss that is the story of life well lived.
on April 2, 2015
The Fault in our Stars is a young-adult fiction, romance novel written by John Green. The female protagonist in the book, Hazel Grace Lancaster who has had cancer in her lungs for 4 years is trying to live a normal life. Hazel has many thing in her life that prevent her from living normal, one being a support group she must go to every week in order to “help” her with her depression. The first support group meeting they have in the book Hazel runs into a kid name Augustus Waters. Later into her support group she ends up seeing Gus staring at her, the whole time. When Hazel walks into the parking lot Gus is there running after her waiting to say hello. The relationship of these two beings develops into something bigger, Hazel does not want it to on the other hand because she feels that she is a ticking time bomb that could explode and hurt anyone in her way. With a few bumps in the road these two lovebirds had almost made it.
The Fault in our Stars is an incredible book that can be inspiring to many people to show them that it will pay off to live life in the moment and to not live life in the past nor the future. Most of the time people think about the future or worrying about what happened the days before, but in the book The Fault in our Stars John Green shows through his characters Hazel and Augustus that it is only the present that counts. An example of this is when Hazel did not really think about the effects that could happen from her having cancer and going on an airplane but she instead chose to feel happy about doing something that her heart would follow. In this book John Green also shows how when one's unhappiness and not living life in the moment can affect them and people around them. One example of this is when Hazel was scared to let anyone into her life because she felt she was a ticking time bomb ready to explode. The author used this metaphor to show how when one day she passes she’s going to end up “destroying” the people who love her, which means she is thinking and living on what’s happening in the future.
The Fault in our Stars is overall a great book and I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a funny, thrilling, and a tragic reality of being alive and in love novel.
The Fault in our Stars is an amazingly crafted novel and could teach you the true meanings in life.
on April 29, 2016
I bought this book from the seller Hawthorne Academic and didn't expect much from a $5 used hardcover book. I was wrong. This book was in amazing condition and I couldn't tell it had been used at all. Ok now on the the actual book. First off the author states at the beginning that this is a work of fiction, which clears up most 1 star reviews. The main character hazel is diagnosed with thyroid cancer and is slowly dying. A boy she meets at the cancer support group (Augustus Walters) turns out to be the one happy thing left in her short life. This is a amazing book that was written for a real person whom the author met, who died with cancer. I recommend this book for older reader though as it contains strong language and sexual themes. Thanks for reading my review, please hit the helpful button if you found this review helpful! Thank You!