Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Customer reviews

37,878
Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-10 of 31,589 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 37,878 reviews
on September 5, 2016
I'm not usually one for young adult fiction, but this book absolutely fantastic. It reaches deep inside of me. It’s a story of a quiet tragedy, love, and an undeniable reality. Hazel and Augustus face mortality and so many of the meaningless details of life. It forces them to face who they really truly are. How would they carry on... Terminal disease gives you fear, for yourself, for your loved ones. It causes pain that you are the reason to make your family feel worried and cry at night. Green wrote this sad, tragic, yet beautiful story, it brings tears to my eyes.
0Comment| 157 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 18, 2017
The novel starts out worthwhile and is a noble subject--teens with cancer and how they deal with it. It was refreshing to see a portrayal of cancer patients who do not want to be defined by their cancers, yet the author then spends the rest of the book ONLY describing their actions and thoughts through the prism of cancer. It is as if they have no personalities outside of their view of cancer. Next, the philosophy becomes too much. I don't mind that we are supposed to suspend disbelief and allow ourselves to be convinced that teenagers can be this profound, or anyone for that matter. The real issue became that every character was essentially the same. They all had the ability to spout out complicated philosophical concepts from the top of their heads. The father is portrayed as a dope until he goes on a long diatribe about the universe. Hazel seems at first to be a regular spunky teen, but then starts talking philosophical about her breakfast foods. Augustus doesn't have any thoughts other than deep meaning philosophical rants. It got to be too much. Also, I have been through the cancer battle and can tell you that being around terminal cancer does not make a person more profound or philosophical, but rather more thoughtful about priorities and what matters. I feel as if the author exploited the topic of cancer as just a way of getting readers to feel better about a very flat love story--because there is no understanding of why these two people supposedly love each other. Their characters are not developed outside of cancer. Also, anytime there was a chance to deal with cancer in a realistic and non-snarky way I believe the author went the other way, I am assuming because he or the editor felt it would sell more books if it followed a formula. The formula is no different than any cheesy romantic movie, and the cancer element is supposed to make it deeper. If the characters really were deep, then their emotions would run the gamut when confronted with the harshest reality of life (death) -- there would be denial, humor, sadness, joy, and disappointment. Hazel and Augustus were essentially the same person -- too cool for school and life, while everyone around them was a dope or insensitive. Even the mom, which was the most prominent adult character, is very one dimensional. The last thing I would say is that cancer causes people to really question God, the universe, and purpose in life. Every time the book could have really addressed those issues in a teenage, even philosophical way, it chose to go the way of pretentious, snarky, philosophical rants which only someone reading right from an intellectual book would be able to spout out. If the characters even seemed a little bit genuine the book could have been so good.
on August 22, 2016
This is, like the title says, the best book. Sure it had some profanity and being only 12 this was the first book that had content like that one part 67% through on page 206 in the hotel. (I really am trying to make this review spoiler free but it is so hard) this book was a good distraction from what was happening at the time. We had lived in the Midwest for 4 years and, because my dad is militarily, had to move to Hawaii. I had to leave all the friends I had made behind. I knew nobody and nobody knew me. This book was a really good distraction from the sadness of leaving all that you know behind and having to start all over. When I got to the sad part of the book, I was doing some late-night reading. We all shared a hotel room so I tried not to cry. It was hard. On the outside I kept a straight face, but on the inside I was bawling my eyes out. :°)
This was also one of the funniest books I'd ever read. I highlighted everything funny, so when I came beck to the book I can look through the notes and laugh till my chest hurts. The the storyline is pretty good, too.
on November 14, 2015
Why do any of us ever stop reading Young Adult (YA) novels? When my 13-year old daughter made me promise to read The Fault in Our Stars, I shrugged, agreed, and threw it on the pile with all the other books I have promised to read, knowing it would be a while given that my have to list numbers in the double dozens. She kept after me though, and her relentlessness paid off. The Fault in our Stars by John Green, a lovely piece of literature, posing as a YA novel and named Time’s Best Fiction book of 2012 (where’ve I been?), is loaded with rich and fertile subject matter akin to great literary works. Yet while epic life and death themes wax and wane throughout, TFioS retains all those things sacred to teens like swaggy dialogue and biting wit along with the occasional teen tantrum. Result? Texture and comedic relief temper the grand emotions sweeping through this book like so many divergent currents. Hazel Grace Lancaster is dying. She’s been the cancer kid for a few years now, always on the verge of checking out since her lungs seem uninterested in doing the single job to which they have been assigned: providing air to the rest of her body. In Hazel’s world, everyone she meets suffers from some Herculean illness so her life seems not so bad, considering. At a Support Group meeting in the Literal Heart of Jesus (you’ll see), she meets hunky Augustus Waters and his friend Isaac. Augustus has a touch of cancer himself, but is currently NEC (no evidence of cancer). One thing leads to another and then, badda-bing, badda-bang, Hazel and Augustus are hanging out. I can’t say dating because Hazel holds back, knowing she’s going to die soon, and not wanting to bring anyone else down with her; she’s already suffering tremendously over the fact that her pit crew -- mom and dad -- will be out of a parenting job once Hazel’s checked out. Augustus, clever, hot Augustus doesn’t take no for an answer and wins Hazel over with a variety of his many charms and abilities, the most important being making contact with Hazel’s favorite author, Peter Van Houten, who wrote her favorite novel, An Imperial Affliction. Hazel’s own life seems inextricably interwoven with AIA and she is determined to find out the fate of the characters after the heroine dies, leaving the book in mid-sentence, and the rest of the characters to an unwritten fate. Hazel has written to Van Houten repeatedly, practically begging for answers. Knowing may help disentangle some of her tightly strung parts, or maybe she just wants to know for the sake of knowing. But Van Houten’s not talking until Augustus emails Van Houten’s assistant and receives a response. Perhaps because of his touch of cancer, Augustus is one of those rare teens who asks the hard questions such as what does oblivion feel like and how can I avoid it? He realizes what so many of us go to great lengths to avoid -- the knowledge that all life is loss, since even the most fabulous ones end in death and oblivion, so get used to it. The pair travel to Amsterdam using Augustus’s long-unused “wish” (despite his view that “life is not a wish-granting factory”) to meet Van Houten who turns out to be a prick of the highest caliber. It all works out in the end if you consider death a method of working it out. The book is sad, but never mopey and triumphant in a, “yes, oblivion is still waiting around the corner, but deal with it,” kind of way, which is okay, because what I hear Green saying is that even in death there are tremendous amounts of life at stake. Books like TFioS hold the key to the silly, unnerving, unrelenting and magnificent universe without even knowing it, reminding me how I felt as a kid: idealistic and invincible with all the answers. Reading it will bring back all those important, self-aware notions you thought you’d left behind years ago, and give you a fresh clear lens with which to look at them. Oh, and it will help you not forget to be awesome.
on April 29, 2016
I don't think I've ever seen another book on Amazon that already has more than 37,000 reviews! The book has definitely moved many people to report their feelings after finishing the book. You cannot read a book about teenagers with cancer without getting emotionally involved. We know from the start that Hazel, who has thyroid cancer that has metastasized to her lungs, isn't expected to survive. She is on a drug that has slowed the deterioration of her lungs and has to drag an oxygen canister around with her. The third paragraph of the book states that "depression is a side effect of dying." Hazel's mother has insisted that she go to a weekly Support Group, which is where she meets Augustus (Gus) who is in remission after having lost a leg to osteosarcoma. They start to hang out together and bond over the shared love of a bizarre novel titled "An Imperial Affliction". I love the witty dialogue between these two teenagers. They have faced impossible struggles but still have a zest for life, and an ability to see the humor in every situation.

Hazel really wants to meet the author of the book, who lives in Amsterdam, and Gus offers to use his cancer kid Wish to take her there. They meet the author, who is a sad old alcoholic who treats them horribly. Hazel is infuriated that he treats them so badly, but she and Gus go on to have a lovely time in Amsterdam nevertheless. Though she'll never get to know the answers to her questions about the book, Gus has given her a memorable experience, and has become the love of her very short life. The sad news builds up after this, and as Gus states more than once "the world is not a wish-granting factory."

If ever there was a book to remind each of us to live in the moment, it's this one.
My thoughts at 25%:
I'm so confused. Why is this book hilarious, with all its witty banter and thoughtful philosophy? Shouldn't I be crying over the depth of the subject matter? Shouldn't I be feeling broken by the abject loss of the power of death - the way it's so all-consuming and doesn't care who it touches or who it hurts? How is it that I keep smiling this delighted smile and laughing gleefully over the way these characters find joy in spite of their suffering? Maybe it's the irony of Hazel's cynicism, I don't know.

My thoughts at 50%:
Okay. The end of Chapter 10? I can't stop crying. Augustus is funny and smart and intellectually stimulating. He's quick and clever and patient and gentle. But he's also a little bit of a smartass and he's impossibly fun. It's brutally endearong, especially combined with Hazel's matter of fact personality, her acceptance of life as what it is and not what she wishes it was. My emotions are so raw right now ... I need a break from the story ... And yet I cannot force myself to take one.

My thoughts at 75%:
I wear glasses because chronic dry eye syndrome gives me progressively horrifying eye fatigue, which blurs everything more and more the longer the day goes on. But right now I'm reading with my glasses off, and everything is a blur, because I can't wear glasses while crying.

My thoughts at 100%:
I finished this book somewhat disappointed. I didn't cry my way through the end, as I had expected to. But I read that last word, closed it out, and promptly burst into tears. For its appreciation of both life AND death, for its humor AND its realistic portrayal of devastation, for its twists AND its inevitable turns ... For its lessons and its inspiration ... Five stars.
on May 6, 2017
I have been following the Vlogbrothers, John & Hank Green for about a year new on YouTube but this is the first of John's books that I have read. Now that I know what I have been missing, there will be more It is a little weird being familiar with an author's voice, appearance and mannerisms from one source then apprehending how that transitions to the pages of a novel. John succeeded in developing characters that resonated deeply and broadly with me. That made becoming strongly attached to them easy and gratifying, and missing them now that they're gone that much more difficult. It is a condition I relish and dread and find to be the sure sign of good fiction...that the people I'm reading about seem so real and their circumstances so genuine that their lives intertwine with mine as I read. There is great sadness to be confronted and dealt with in this book, but it is redeemed by by the simple yet graceful humanity of the people through whom it comes. Not a moment of the time invested in reading this book felt wasted. And the John Green I have grown fond of was in there with me, winking occasionally with the turn of a phrase or the mention of a concept that sounded familiar. His company was sincerely appreciated.
on June 12, 2016
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green isn't necessarily a literary classic, but that is not to say that you won't become emotionally invested. The main character Hazel is able to entertain you throughout her month or two journey in the book, but until Augustus Waters comes into play, the book seems like something that should probably be sold at a supermarket discount aisle.

Augustus brings life to the unfortunate situation of Hazel who has had cancer since her teens, and basically has been living an absentee life ever since. With his introduction comes introductions to love, true friendship, and even heartbreak, not all hers mind you.

The main issue with this book, is it doesn't seem to really get good until the end, and then the climax happens and it's over. Though it's good enough to keep you interested and reading, it doesn't capture you like a Perks of Being a Wallflower type book where you fall for damn near every character. It very much hits its highs when Augustus is around, and then drops and plateaus when he is absent. Not to say Hazel makes a bad lead, it's just she is like Batman or Louie on FX. It is her associates and how she interacts with them that keep her story interesting, not Hazel herself. She without the rest of them isn't worth the $10 or so dollars I paid for this.

Or rather, I should say: Without Augustus, Isaac, and their stories, this would probably be a boring book about a kid with cancer in which you could easily imagine seeing her fight to the very end. Luckily, as the character wanted, cancer isn't what fully defines Hazel and the rest of the characters we meet; instead, it drives the book forward and allows us to see past pity for people, not even 18, who have already had to fight for their lives and allows us to remember, even those we see as sickly were once considered well. And even if their bodies are sick, that doesn't mean they deserve to be treated as if they are incapable of having lives and making decisions. Cancer, and any ailment really, is just something they live with and just as you wish to follow your dreams and aspirations, so do they. The only difference between them and the currently un-sick is: they are more aware of their mortality.

Overall, though not the best book I've ever read, it was good enough for me to purchase a 2nd book by author John Green. The Fault in Our Stars may not be a literary classic which will surely become part of our children's or children's children's reading lists, but it remains to be a good read definitely worth spending time with during your commute or during your downtime.
My 14 year-old granddaughter recommended this book to me and at first I was a little leery of reading a young adult book. However, within the first ten pages I was hooked - complete hook, line, and sinker. I could think of nothing else but reading this book. I am on a cruise now and none of the activities could keep my mind off this book - it is that good.

Hazel Grace is a teenager with metastasized thyroid cancer with metastasis in her lungs. She must use an oxygen tank all day and a BiPAP machine all night. Augustus Waters has Osteosarcoma and has just had a leg amputated. They meet in a cancer support group and he falls for Hazel at first sight. At first, Hazel keeps her distance from Gus, but it doesn't take her long to fall under his spell. He is, after all, a hunk.

The both of them are enamored of a book called An Imperial Infliction written by one Peter Houten. The book is about a teenager with cancer. It ends with a cliff hanger and they really want to know what happens after the puzzling ending. Augustus uses his one wish wish with the Genies Foundation to ask for a trip to Amsterdam where Mr. Houten resides. Miraculously, he gets his wish. Unfortunately, the meeting with Mr. Houten is less than ideal. Fortunately, the trip serves to increase the love and intimacy between Gus and Hazel.

Grace and Gus are both very intelligent and philosophical people. As Hazel says about Gus, "To be with him was to hurt him - inevitably." His last girlfriend died from a brain tumor and Grace is fearful that she will die and leave Gus in spiritual pain. Hazel is always breathless because of the mets in her lungs. She is in constant pain as well. If she doesn't use her oxygen, " after about ten seconds, my lungs feel like they're folding in upon themselves like flowers at dusk.: She must have her lungs drained frequently. "The pain was always there, pulling me inside myself, demanding to be felt."

Hazel feels outside the realm of ordinary people, the world of the well. As she says, "The physical evidence of disease separates you from other people. We are irreconcilable other." Gus is not obviously ill on the outside but Hazel carries around her oxygen tank everywhere she goes. Since her illness she'd never considered a normal lifespan. "I'd never been anything but terminal; all my treatment had been in pursuit of extending my life, not curing my cancer." Gus has an 85% cure rate after his leg amputation but, like most survivors of cancer, lives in constant fear of a recurrence. As Hazel says, "My final chapter was written upon diagnosis. Gus, like most cancer survivors, lived with uncertainty." Hazel sees herself as a 'grenade'. Once she explodes with her cancer, all those around her will be harmed.

One might think that a novel about two teenagers with cancer would be depressing. This is not the case with this book. Yes, it is powerful, has its sad and poignant moments, but it is uplifting and wonderfully life affirming. It is an amazing book, one that is for everyone. I am so glad that I read it. I will remember it always.
on December 24, 2015
Too many, in this point in history, living in the relative ease & comfort of the "civilized world" have any reason or apparent need to consider the process of dying. We vicariously "experience" such things through books & movies & video games, but assiduously avoid any real life face time with our, personal, mortality.

Be that as it may, every person on this planet - including you - are, in point of fact, going to die. Of that infinite number, some portion will pass suddenly without warning or time to contemplate the journey out of this existence.

But many many others will have some measure of time to press through the odd "Valley of the Shadow of Death" and few will have a comforting friend with depth of insight, clarity, wisdom, unfailing humor that Hazel Grace or Augustus Waters share.

Life is different but not a "less than" life anyone else lives when knowing - unlike others in close proximity - that ones days are finite & ending & how critically important it is suck every ounce of marrow from that life while one has breath & consciousness. To the contrary, life is more vital, deep, focused, in the light of impending eternal darkness.

"The Fault in Our Stars" is appropriate for almost any age reader because everyone will eventually die. But, in addition to that, before any of us pass it is highly likely that we will be touched by death in the loss of someone who passes before we do. Understanding, in some kind of experiential way, even vicariously through the pages of a well written novel - that people are not dead until they stop breathing & we should do them the courtesy of not treating them as ghosts before they pass into the ether.

Spend as much time with them as you can. Let them cry. Let them be angry. Let them be hateful about the injustice of mortality. Laugh & joke & tease with them... dark humor is still humor. Make an effort to bring joy & meaning & purpose to as many days as possible. Sit in silence with them. It doesn't matter that you have no words that don't sound stupid & empty & pointless. It matters only that you care to *be* with them. To call. To text. To care.

Read this book. The movie is awesome but movies simply cannot tell the story any book can. If you don't *like* to read, get an audiobook version. But seriously. This is a story no living person should miss.