Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 27 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 25, 2008, 8:21:44 AM PDT
P. Roche says:
Cusromer reviews have trashed this novel in the Outlander series while praising all others. If you have read all in the series could you tell me if it is important to read The Feiry Feiry Cross or could it be skipped without interrupting the continuity of the series?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2008, 8:42:52 AM PDT
Dagny says:
I posted this same question in June called "Should I skip the 5th book?". If you search for that post, you'll see all the responses I received. Don't skip the book. Too much happens!

http://www.amazon.com/Should-skip-the-5th-book/forum/Fx31V80PKE7QUYT/Tx371K9R5FXB0FJ/1/ref=cm_cd_dp_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&s=books&asin=0385319959&store=books

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2008, 10:21:38 AM PDT
P. Roche says:
Thank you B. McVeigh. That is the advice I had been given by several others - am reading the book now and so far have not found it to be too tedious.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2009, 3:49:07 PM PST
JB says:
Don't skip this book, you'll regret it. The series is really like one continuous story. If any books are too long, listen to the audio version. I've listening to the audiobooks since Drums of Autumn, made the whole experience so much more enjoyable.

Posted on Mar 31, 2009, 2:03:11 PM PDT
Just finished A Breath of Snow and Ashes, and before I skim through Fiery Cross trying to find Jem's formal name (what is it?), I'm confused by Bree's reaction to the name on top of the box with Jamie's letter(s), pg. 978 ... "Jeremiah Alexander Ian Fraser MacKenzie ... Who is that?" Have read all six books in as many months, so I may have missed something, but isn't that Jem's name? Why wouldn't she or Roger recognize it? Maybe she was joking and I was looking so hard in these last chapters for a tease re: book 7? I feel like such a dunce; can anyone help me? I'm probably just experiencing Outlander overload ... Thanks!

Posted on Apr 23, 2009, 6:58:13 AM PDT
Who was the stranger that came into Claire's room at River Run. She established that it was not Jamie, did I miss something.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2009, 7:03:04 AM PDT
I think it was the charmer ... the one with the horse who grabbed her in the barn ... haven't read in a while, so forget his name!

Posted on Jul 24, 2009, 6:21:10 PM PDT
M. Childers says:
I love this book so much, yes it is long and loaded w/ lovely vignettes of every day life. Not as much of a plot so much as a continuation of the story of a marriage.
It has one of the best best lines I have every read in a book. even now, years later I get tears and chill bumps from this line......
Jamie to Claire
"When the day shall come, that we do part" he said softly, and turned to look at me, "if my last words are not 'I love you'-- ye'll ken it was because I didna have time."

I am a little embarassed about how in love w/ Jamie Fraser I am.
I can't wait for echo in the bone.

Posted on Sep 13, 2009, 9:44:35 PM PDT
is jamie and breanna close i mean like the only dad she ever really knew was frank? can you please tell me

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2009, 4:34:28 PM PDT
R. Gibson says:
You are not the only one who is in love with him :) I love that he is flawed too, but oh so perfect at other moments.

That is a great line....I am over 500 pages through this book it is finally picking up. I love all the books, but this one was a slow starter for me. I am looking forward to 6 and then finally 7 when it comes out.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2009, 5:21:14 PM PDT
J. Bergin says:
<<That is a great line....I am over 500 pages through this book it is finally picking up. I love all the books, but this one was a slow starter for me. I am looking forward to 6 and then finally 7 when it comes out.>>

The beginning of TFC IS slow, but I have to say that the second half of the book may be my favorite chunk in the whole series (not counting the entirety of Outlander). So much great stuff in the second half of TFC.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2010, 3:04:12 PM PST
I'm betting that is going to be resolved in book 8.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 6, 2011, 10:53:09 AM PDT
Lu says:
Oh i agree entirely with you J. Bergin. Yes, it was slow. However, I love the scenes of daily life. I can't stop thinking about the part where Jamie is snakebitten. I can't wait to get home from work, so I can pick up where I left off. The scenes between him and Claire are so heartwrenching....

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2012, 12:00:52 PM PDT
Julie Plavka says:
I am a little embarassed about how in love w/ Jamie Fraser I am.

I think about this every day I read the books. Glad I'm not the only one out there!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2012, 4:29:30 PM PDT
P. Roche says:
No, Girl, you are not the only one! It's been years since I read this series and I still think of Jamie when I talk about my favorite characters. He is sooo my perfect man!

Posted on Dec 4, 2012, 7:42:21 AM PST
A question and a comment:

The question: did I miss what happened to Murtagh? I honestly don't remember why he wasn't in this book. Is he in Scotland?

The comment: I think my favorite parts are when the modern meets the historical. In Dragonfly, you have this scene where Claire is so happy to have her legs and underarms waxed as it is a nod to her "modern" hygiene while Jamie is poleaxed by her yanking the hair from its roots and did it mean he was a beast in her eyes. Even funnier in this book is Jamie's education on the biological "bird and bees", seeing sperm for the first time, and then becoming obsessively concerned about them being trapped inside him. I'm slowly reading/listening to these books as a means of prolonging the experience. I'll pick up the next one soon...

Posted on May 20, 2013, 3:44:34 PM PDT
MarlowesMom says:
I have read all 7 books, every word of the first 6 and most of book 7 (I did skim a few sections). I've read Outlander three times and will definitely re-read Dragonfly in Amber and A Breath of Snow and Ashes. I think you can skip both Drums of Autumn and The Fiery Cross without missing anything you need to know to move forward into A Breath of Snow and Ashes. I hated Drums of Autumn and loathed The Fiery Cross but thought A Breath of Snow and Ashes got the series back on track. (FWIW, I read a lot of 19th century fiction. I don't mind a slow pace per se if the writing is good. I made it through Middlemarch. But when nothing important happens to formerly-interesting-but-now-boring people in almost 2000 pages, that's too much for me even if the writing is good.) Patched together, uneven and occasionally ridiculous as it was, a lot actually happens in An Echo in the Bone, so you probably need to read it to make sense of what's coming next.

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2013, 3:55:08 PM PDT
Lu says:
I am currently re reading An Echo in the Bone to get ready for the new book. I'm wondering if i need to read further back........maybe I need to re read A Breath of Snow and Ashes?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2014, 4:34:45 AM PDT
He dies at Culloden. It's revealed in the third book.

Posted on Jul 7, 2015, 10:34:09 AM PDT
JPG says:
Eileen Cosgrove......Don't believe everything you read (particularly in this series!

Posted on Jul 7, 2015, 10:40:57 AM PDT
JPG says:
Sorry Eileen....I thought you were speaking of Jaimie....but after reading back, I realize you were answering the question about Murtagh....

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2015, 11:50:57 AM PDT
I am married to a wonderful man, but I wish he could express his love for me, which he has shown over the last 50 years of our marriage, the way Jaime does to Claire, i guess I love 2 men: my husband and Jaime.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2015, 11:23:26 AM PDT
JPG says:
I believe that is little Jem's full name....If I am not confused, in one of the books, when Jem was born in N. C. , he was to be baptized at the same time Jocasta and Duncan were to be married. However, the priest was to be taken or was taken into custody and couldn't perform the marriage or the baptism.....This could be totally wrong ( I read the books too quickly) I think Jaime baptized Jem himself, and gave him all these family and clan names himself). Please someone correct me if I am wrong. I could very easily be dreaming.....can't remember where I read this. He did not want the baby baptized by a non Catholic clergyman.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2015, 12:53:33 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 30, 2015, 12:55:03 PM PDT
JPG says:
Irene, Remember this is a work of fiction.....a wonderful love story, based on history, time-travel....told by a master story teller. You have a true life love story, making your own history and a husband who actually shows his love for you, perhaps not with romantic words, but in his loving actions for over fifty years. wow! Perhaps if you show him the way in your loving romantic words, he would not be to reticent in his words for you. Who knows....you may just be leading the way to a lovely discovery! Don't feel guilty about falling in love with Jaime......we ladies have all fallen in love with Himself! Go for it!!! Good luck with your very own romance story.....

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2015, 12:56:57 PM PDT
JPG says:
Please don't skip any of the books....P. Roche....I think you will be sorry if you do....
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  19
Total posts:  27
Initial post:  Aug 25, 2008
Latest post:  Jul 6, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

This discussion is about
Fiery Cross (Outlander)
Fiery Cross (Outlander) by Diana Gabaldon (Paperback - September 1, 2006)
4.6 out of 5 stars (33,432)