Lyft Vehicles Review Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18_gno

The Film Crew: The Giant of Marathon
Format: DVD|Change

on April 21, 2016
This is what Mike Nelson and company did between MST3K and Rifftrax (well, they did a lot more than this, but you get the idea). The conceit is that these three guys (Nelson/Corbett/Murphy AKA Mike/Crow/Servo) are hired to do DVD commentaries for all the crappy movies, so there aren't the skits that MST had, just the riffing.

They did four of these, and they're all great. If you liked MST (especially the Mike years) I can't imagine you wouldn't love these. Highly recommended.
on July 20, 2013
Wow this move is just as corney as all the old msts it's like going back in time hahahahahahahahah
These 3 men are all having so Mutch fun riffing this wacky movie I have fun watching them have fun
As u watch them watch the movie you can almost forgit you aren't watching mst 3000 ...thank you mike Kevin and bill
For all the years of wonderful fun
I think there are only 4 episodes......... I would love to find more
People out there u will love the silly plot In this one ie the giant of marathon the references to Greek mythology are cool
Girls out there lots of great looking men for u to see haha even if u don't like the humor you will like that
As always thanks for your time Your friend Shawn g
on March 25, 2013
This is one of the funniest Film Crew DVDs. Loads of great, slightly risqué gags at the expense of the sweaty, sweaty men in the movie. The argument over the items on the menu while Philippides/Hercules and his opponent struggle gets me every time.
on March 28, 2010
Another Italian-made Greek epic, this one hosted by the Film Crew. Some great laughs, since this material was really easy to dub. Not as good as classic MST3K, but that's a difficult standard to meet. I especially loved Mike's apology in the DVD extras!
on June 1, 2009
I'm a fan of Mystery Science Theater 3000, but I was a little late to the Film Crew party. I heard about the series back when it was announced but for some reason it flew under my radar.

Recently I read some good reviews of the series, especially ones that compared it favorably to the seasons of the sci-fi channel run of MST3K. I decided to break down and pick up a couple. "The Giant of Marathon" was the second one I popped in.

I'm a fan of the Hercules episodes of Mystery Science Theater, so I figured this one would be right up my alley. However instead of a mythical epic, this is a historical epic detailing the turmoil in Athens leading up to the first battle with the Persians climaxing in the battle of Marathon. Now, I've read my Herodotus and I'm pretty sure that all the stuff that happens to Pheidippides in this movie didn't come from history.

In contrast to most of the Hercules movies most of the action in the film is loaded to the final third. For most of the first half or so you get lots of political maneuvering and dialogue. Now the movie is dubbed, so the voice acting is pretty lousy. This makes these long talky scenes particularly painful.

Once the action kicks in, things get better, with lots of laughs being generated by the horrific stage fighting, the horse abuse and the extended underwater battle that looks like "Thunderball" BC.

This movie appears to have a pretty large budget, so there are some impressive sets, costumes and lots of extras. The ship battle is probably the most impressive in scope. There are actually a number of ships on screen and lots of extras doing battle in and out of the water. It's fairly impressive to tell you the truth.

One of the strange things about the film is the fact that there are a lot of mostly naked men running around in it. Now, I know that most of the sword and sandal films have lots of oiled up half naked guys in them, but usually there is a voluptuous evil queen or sexy slave girl to balance it all out. Not so much in this film. Sure the main girl Andromeda is curvy and pouty, but she's hardly in the flick. Instead you get an extended scene of two hairy men wrestling or lots of underwater scenes with guys in what appears to be diapers swimming around. I'm not kidding.

Of course all this fodder give the Film Crew plenty of ammo for lots of homosexual humor. They end up going a bit overboard, but at the same time the movie seems to be really courting it. Seriously the amount of bare man flesh is really odd for a sword and sandal flick from the 60's.

For me this adds up to a pretty average outing for the Film Crew. The movie is pretty slow for the first half. They do a good job with what they are given, but it isn't until the battle of Marathon really kicks in that the jokes start flying. The last twenty minutes or so of the film are absolutely hilarious (even the scenes with the horse abuse. Warning to animal lovers, these look pretty brutal and while the Film Crew makes light of it, try not to think about it too much).

There are three host segments. The intro has the Film Crew discussing the film with Bob Honcho. During the lunch break Bill uses everyone's lunch to recreate the battle of marathon for Mike. Kevin is not amused. The finale has everyone creating super goofy hats (with Kevin's being the most disturbing of all), and Mike insulting ancient Persians.

This leads to the extras, which include Mike apologizing for insulting ancient Persians but insulting Italians instead. This continues with Mike digging a deeper and deeper hole for himself with Kevin and Bill trying to bail him out in the end. It's actually pretty funny. There is also a mini-commentary by an extra from the film (who sounds a lot like Mike). It starts off goofy and ends up going right over the top for some good laughs.

I have to admit it, I was a bit disappointed in this episode. I think my love of the Hercules episodes raised my hopes a little too high and the movie was just too slow in the beginning. Like I said the last 20 minutes are top notch material, but it's a little dull getting there.
22 comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 10, 2008
Since it's tragic end (MST3K could've done another TEN more Years!!!) I'm grateful that the actors have come back together of another go at it.

Sadly, the show seems to of not made the money they had hope to get and only four where made. So to all you other misties out there, grab up these bargain bins now before they're gone for good!
on November 1, 2007
Being a rabid MST3K fan, I squealed with glee when I heard the boys were getting together once again to rip on really bad movies. While the Film Crew Offerings are not the same as having MST3K back again, it's pretty close. Everything is there for you, save the bots and the movie theater silhouette at the bottom of the screen. The skits and extras have upped the humor quotient in these last two releases as well.

As far as the movie goes, it was not one of the better movies they have riffed, but the guys "made it work." I think the sc**tum talk through the movie, along with the man-ifying of the villianess-turned-good guy offered some of the funniest moments in the movie.

I am excited about more releases coming out, and you should be too!
on February 9, 2014
Cant tell you why but I just love this stuff. insanity at it's finest!! Always loads of fun watching how poorly a movie can be done & still be released!!
on October 16, 2007
I am, of course, a long-time Mystery Science Theater 3000 fan. After viewing this episode, I have to say I'm a Film Crew fan as well! Mike, Kevin, and Bill are at their best in this fourth installment from The Film Crew; I found myself laughing aloud MANY times while watching this DVD! This is, by far, the funniest of the four episodes they've released so far (although "Hollywood After Dark" is a close second, in my opinion). I pre-ordered this episode, and you can bet I'll pre-order the next one. Thank you, Film Crew, for this gem! (My neighbors and the police also thank you. I like your work so much that I used my OWN credit card to buy "The Giant of Marathon"!)
on December 28, 2007
Up until now I have thought the film crew DVDs have been decent nothing stellar or up to form of the MST3K years. This is the best of the bunch in my opinion. Maybe because there is something inherently stupid about grown men running around in giant diapers tossing each other about. No matter what it is this one works. I was always a huge fan of the Hercules MST3K episodes and this one is similar to those in many respects. The host segments are somewhat lame but the commentary is hilarious. A must buy for anyone wanting their MST3K fix.