Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Made for you. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now Start your Baby Registry

on June 20, 2015
I read several of the reviews after I bought the book but before the book arrived. I am 42 years old, and a veteran of self-help. I began my self-help journey when my last child was born when I was 26 years old. During that journey, I built my life from a trailer-trash person living in chaos to the Mother of the Year Award-receiving, self-trained entrepreneur I became. As my children became grown and then gone, the things I identified myself with, the labels I placed upon myself, the passions that drove me, the purpose I had went with them. Pretty typical. But, because of my history with self-help, I assumed I would be immune. After all, I know who I am, right? I know what I want, don't I?

In this new evolution of my existence, I revisited my familiars. Abraham-Hicks, Wayne Dyer, Don Miguel Ruiz - - I'm sure you guys know them, as well. Their words, while valuable, fell flat for me. Meditation, yes. Being still, yes. Listening to the inner voice, yes. I listed myself to death - to-do list, action list, five year list, three year list, one year list, daily plan to accomplish the lists. Positive affirmations written on little yellow sticky notepad and placed everywhere. Big whoop.

I accidentally happened on The Fire Starter Sessions. I was cruising Amazon looking for some dog mats to lessen the dirt traffic into the house from the doggy door. Down in a little corner was The Fire Start Sessions, Look Inside. So, I did. It intrigued me enough to buy it. I also visited Danielle Laporte's website to get a feel for the author. The website is AMAZING! It's frenetic and energetic. The energy that went into building the website bounces right off the screen. It puts you in an amazing mood immediately. Takes you out of the mundane and the humdrum and instills passion.

Some of the reviews have said that the book is quippy, does not provide any real information, gives too much sass, and has everything you have heard before. I agree with all of that, but without the negative undertone. Danielle Laporte is refreshingly quippy, saucy, and sassy. Thank God! Someone put some personality into a book! Yes, Wayne Dyer's calm demeanor is wonderful (and I LOVE me some Wayne Dyer) - but I'm not calm! I don't want to be calm. I want to be fired up! I want to be passionate! I want my life to be a kick ass life! I want to be self-aware, but I want to be awesomesauce self-aware, not meditative self-aware!

Yes. At 42, I use words like awesomesauce. As a matter of fact, my kids and I text the word awesomesauce to each other.

In a nutshell, if you are new to the self-help game, this book is great! If you are a veteran of the self-help game, this book is GREAT! It is refreshing, it is youthful (thankfully!), it is powerful, it is motivational. It is fun without being silly. It is witty without being asinine. It is an inspiring beginning to get back to the core you, the authentic you, and reinvent your Self and your circumstances.

I also bought The Desire Map, which I will read after working through the Fire Starter Sessions. I'm excited about it!
0Comment| 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 27, 2012
I bought this book for myself a month or so ago. I have been so impressed with the book, the layout, the exercises that provoke new ways of thinking that I came back today to buy several more as gifts for friends. If you are trying to find a different way of thinking, break out of a rut, crush a writer's block, find a new passion or just think through some really cool, potentially life altering perspective shifting exercises, (oh, and not take yourself so seriously at the same time) this is the book for you. You can go through the book as slowly or as quickly as you want. Some people go through it and devour it the first time and then go back more slowly - I have been more of a slowly, the first time, kind of person. But every chapter focuses and inspires in a different way and never lecture-y. Always real. No fluff (just realized I don't know how to spell foo-foo so used fluff instead). But you have to want to change and you have to want to work a bit at it. This book does not spoon-feed or sugar-coat things for you, nor does it say it is going to be really, really easy if you follow this prescribed x,y,z 30-day plan. You have to create your own path and if you want to know how to ask the really good, important, path-shaping questions, you have come to the right place to do so. If you are ready to really think and try something new, give this book a read, or two. Hope you give it a try and hope you enjoy!
on May 21, 2016
This is a great book that really gave me motivation to define what my passions are and how to pursue them successfully. It has reflective worksheets at the end of every "session" that help you get clarity on the steps you need to take to achieve your dreams! Written with a very relatable, encouraging voice, I came away with a better idea of how to make the world a better place by taking advantage of my strengths. Will definitely return to this book in the future. Thank you Danielle!
on November 2, 2014
I read this for my book club and thoroughly enjoyed it. I looked forward to reading a chapter (a session) and working on the exercise at the end of each session, every morning. That daily dosage of inspiration gave a jumpstart to my days. It felt like I was attending a workshop and not just reading a book. I could almost hear the author, Danielle, addressing me in her friendly, conversational style. I never felt bored. Instead, I found myself nodding along, highlighting most of what I read and adding my own thoughts.

She encourages her readers to be true to themselves. "Study yourself", "Find your inner voice" and "Do a little more of what you really want to be doing everyday, and a little less of what you don't want to do, until eventually, your reality is brimming with the real ideal" are some of her mantras. Her thoughts on time management, money management, giving felt so liberating to me, like like I'd been doing what didn't come naturally to me, until now

Answering the questionnaires at the end of each session helped me learn so much about myself. Doing the "Ideal Day" exercise made me realize that I was already almost-living my ideal life; The questions at the end of money management chapter showed me that my needs are pretty simple and that I had enough money to spend on things that truly matter to me- Education and Travel.

I highly recommend this book to anybody who "didn't sign up for good enough in this lifetime", as the author says, :You signed up for awesome". I know I did.
on September 26, 2012
This book came up on someone's list of best business books for entrepreneurs. It reminded me of many other life coaching books such as Julia Cameron's The Artist's Way (in fact some of the exercises are very similar to Cameron's) and some of the other new age books that were popular in the 90s. The author has a chick-in-the-know writing style which is cute....but honestly I could skip right through the personal life story stuff. The best sections for me are the questions/exercises. Her experiences in business will probably resonate with any woman who's been in the work world for awhile...for a surprisingly helpful point of view I'd also recommend Martha Stewart's The Martha Rules with great business-savvy suggestions for business owners.
I read it through very quickly (yeah it's one of those breezy books you can zip right through) but I am now going back and writing out selected questions to think about and talk about with others.
The author argues against 'balance' which is somewhat provocative in our life-work-balance obsessed society (ironically everyone's after it and few seem to have mastered it) in favor of passion...personally I think passion is overrated as well. But anyone working toward a more rewarding business and personal life can get something out of this as a guide to more fulfilling days at work.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 22, 2016
Great inspirational read by a great author. I had so much fun reading this book. It contains tons of stories from authors real life experiences, and I really love her humorous way of writing. It is definitely one of the books I have in my shelf on a special place that I will read again.
on April 17, 2012
I am a long-time fan of Danielle and expected this book to be good. I have the original Fire Starter Sessions digital package and have seen Danielle speak several times.

The new Fire Starter Sessions blew me away.

From visual design to language to message to insight, this book is a fresh take on Danielle's teaching. It's her thinking at a whole new level. It is both immediately actionable and stick-to-your-ribs wisdom.

"Freedom starts when you can identify the aggravation you've been accommodating for so long."
-- Danielle LaPorte

One aggravation I've long suffered is the constant drivel from self-help books that promise much but deliver little. The Fire Starter Sessions is not drivel. I am free.
on December 31, 2016
I love Danielle Laporte! She is incredibly inspiring and if you need motivation to get off your ass and start taking some steps, this is the book for you!
on August 25, 2017
This book gave me fascinating insight while allowing me to understand my business goals, and remove subconscious blockers that were standing in my way. The best part is that I was able to discover my big why and the feeling attached to it.
on April 18, 2012
I was so excited to receive my copy of this book in the mail at last. I had the digital product original and had a galley to review before the actual book was out as well, so I was very excited to receive such a gorgeous tome. The book is substantial, as a book on this topic should be. It feels serious and the design is gorgeous. Beyond that, you're getting to read Danielle's writing, which is the best kind of kick in the pants I know of. She is both able to elevate you to the level of your dreams and come down and hit you where you live. Many elements of this book have been game changers for me. Make sure you actually do all the exercises to get the full benefit. The questions for the friend interview are worth the price of the book alone. You might want to get more than one copy, too, I had mine in a coffee shop with a friend today and she practically clawed it out of my hands and then was able to contain herself with a coy "perhaps I could borrow it when you're done?"

Don't miss it. This one belongs on your shelf.