Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Fire Within
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now

Format: Paperback|Change

on November 16, 2009
I have never written a review before, but this one I felt very strongly about. Bought this book to read with my 7 year old as he LOVES dragons. Story dragged a bit, not a lot of dragons but cute. However, the second book took the children's story to a whole other level. I stopped reading it to my child, but continued on my own as it was a creative and fresh story that I had come to enjoy. But by the third book, I was more then a little disappointed with how dark things were getting and by the middle of the fourth, I stopped reading the series all together. Don't mind a few fanciful ideas or bad guys, but I do mind senseless killing of multiple characters (no matter what form you bring them back as) and making bad guys truly skin-crawling, evil. My child was disappointed that we could not continue the story of the cute, magical dragons. I was disappointed that yet another story line had to delve to levels far darker then any child or pre-teen should be exposed to.
22 comments| 86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 14, 2006
I pre-read this book for my 5- and 7-year old sons. They love dragons, but many of the dragon books and movies are a bit too violent in my opinion. I finished the book in two days because I couldn't put it down. I loved the squirrel plot and the mysterious clay dragons. I just bought the next two books in the series - Icefire and Firestar. I hope they are as good as the first.
I read review books for our school library. Some are okay, some are horrible, and then sometimes I get to read something STUPENDOUS....That was "The Fire Within". I LOVED the dragons, the squirrel part was touching, looking into the mind of a 20 year old boy was revealing....and the best part? Well, there is already Book 2 and Book 3 will be out in a couple of weeks! Hurray! My husband reads to our 3 girls each night, we have enjoyed the Harry Potter series, the Rowan books, Gregor and his adventures in the Underlands....and NOW we'll start on Chris d'Lacey's DRAGONS!!!! Keep 'em coming Chris.....
on January 24, 2005
This is my Book review of a book called "The Fire Within" by Chris D' Lacey

This book is a five star action packed, lovable, and enjoyable book.

This book is about a 20 year old college student named David.

He moves in a mysteriously weird house, with an owner named Elizabeth.

He moves in because college is too far away from his hometown and he need to stay somewhere until he passes college. He has to live with a cat named Bonnington, a 10 year old girl named Lucy, and a woman named Elizabeth.

He notices this family is getting weirder and weirder everyday, all they talk about is dragons and they have a room which he where Elizabeth makes her clay dragons that doesn't have a kiln which David is forbidden to go inside.

One day when David gets his own clay dragon, it inspires him to write a story; mysteriously, the events in the story become real, even the clay dragons may come to real life! When his dragon is sad and his dragon is in danger of dying, David must master the fire within, not only with his hands, but with his heart. This book is the best book I have ever read in my life!

This has great description and it is very imaginative. Chris D' Lacey has written the sequel to this book, it is called Icefire. He has also written Beverly Cleary books and some other great books. Overall all think this book is the best book he has ever written, but I am going to wait until I get Icefire to assure it is the best book he has ever written. I think this book is a fantasy related book because it has dragons and all kinds of wondrous things, and because this book is a fantasy book it's what makes The Fire Within an awesome book!

So that is my book review about "The Fire Within, and if you love this book you should check out the sequel "Icefire.

Joon Hyong Cho
on June 16, 2015
My 7yo chose this book and we read it together. Neither of us cared for it much. The story is about David, a college student who rents a room from Liz, who has an 11yo daughter, Lucy. Liz makes dragon statues which seem at times to be more alive that not.

What I didn't like:
* The author often refers to David as "the tenant." This really bugged my 7yo.
* The relationship between David & Sophie developed into a romance unrealistically fast (although this was over my 7yos head).
* The dragon statues as living dragons story developed too slowly.
* The human characters were not particularly compelling.
* Lucy is surprisingly unintelligent and childish for an 11yo.

What I did like:
* The story line with the squirrels was sweet and heartwarming. It's what saved this book from getting a 1-star rating.
* No cursing.
* The romance between David & Sophie was G-rated.

About halfway through, my 7yo was so bored with the book, that he wanted to quit reading. I convinced him to finish it because I was still waiting to see what was the big deal with the dragons. It's the Dragon Chronicles, after all. Unfortunately, the secret of the dragons was anti-climactic and not worth the wait.
on February 17, 2005
The Fire Within is a fictional book with a touch of fantasy. It took Chris D'Lacey 15 years to write this novel, but it was definitely worth the wait. Can squirrels, a family of two, and clay dragons change a college student's life?

When a tenant named David moves into a house in Wayward Crescent, strange things start to happen. To add on top of it all, Lucy and Liz, the owners of the house, give him a strange clay dragon. The dragon inspires David to write a story that helps him master the magical fire within. Within what? Read the book to find out.

Chris did a great job with voice because I could really get a sense of his characters, and his personality. I could almost imagine myself in this funny, semi-mysterious book. I could almost feel the fire within.

In conclusion, this book was great. I recommend this book for ages 10+. If you love fiction and fantasy all rolled into one, you will enjoy this book and all the squirrels and dragons in The Fire Within.
on January 8, 2007
I loved this book.Well,it is full of sadness,happyness,and of course DRAGONS!!!!!This book is for all fans of Eragon,Eldest and Dragon Rider.I am working to finesh ICE FIRE the second book.(Sneaky hent-the third book is FIRE STAR and the fourth book is THE FIRE ETERNAIL).Mistique,Dragon Lady,age 9.
on July 17, 2005
David Rain does not believe in dragons or magic. He searches for a place to live while he goes to college . When he arrives at the Pennykettle house he discovers a collection of clay dragons and he is astounded to find that he can see them in his mind and sometimes he can even hear them talk. He is given his own clay dragon to talk to and it is always there to help him if he needs it.

This book is an easy fun read for anyone between the ages of 9 &12.
on March 24, 2016
SPOILER ALERT
The book “The Fire Within” is a fictional book with enigma and fantasy. The main character named David, is a college student who moves in a house with a family of 2. The owner of the house is named Liz, and her daughter is named Lucy. They hold many mysteries, and David is eager to know what they hide.
I recommend this book for children ages 10-15 because the mystery about the dragons and the squirrel grabs their attention more. Liz makes clay dragons and has many set up around her house, which has David curious. Lucy tells David about a squirrel named Conker who was hurt in the eye.
The closer that David gets to the family, the closer he gets to uncovering the mystery. David was given his own clay dragon that motivated him to write a story. David’s dragon can even come to life and helps him with his story. Of the many chapters that fill this book with adventure, David causes a near death experience to his dragon by showing it anger instead of love. David needs to exhibit love to his dragon, in order to get it back.
This book would be suitable for kids because of all its mysterious situations. “The Fire Within” catches your attention if you are into mystery. You visualize and create your own thoughts. This is a delightful book to read.
on March 14, 2007
This book has a main character named David, he is a 20 years old

college student and he live in a house with his mom and dad. This book is

a fantasy book so it take place in a fantasy world. David became a tenant

in a strange house filled with clay dragons and it was owned by Liz and

Lucy. David then receives a special dragon of his own named Gadzooks.

Gadzooks helps David write a book. He received this dragon from Sophie

and Lucy and Liz since they became best friend when they met in the clay

dragons house. They said that the clay dragon which is Gadzooks contains

a enourmous fire power within him but David need to know how to unleash

it so David could have magical fire When his dragon is sad and his dragon

is in danger of dying, David must master the fire within, not only with

his hands, but with his heart power. The next sequel of the book continue

another called Icefire.