Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The First Years Extra Tall Decor Gate (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Amazon Vehicles Fall Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now

on February 9, 2014
This gate is great. We use it as both a dog gate (80lb Husky/lab) and as a toddler gate...great for both.

Gate stays secure with either dog or toddler bouncing off it.

First gate we've had for over a year now, still great.

Most recent one we've bought has changed slightly. The actual swing part is not the same color as what you order, its a light grey with blue plastic. It looks quit funny. Looking back at the pictures after getting it you can slightly see this (I thought they were just high lighting the swing part when I ordered it)

The install points work great as long as you don't have a tapered base board, but still works (at least 2" from floor of flat base board would be ideal)

I considered only 4 stars for the color change...but really, it does not affect functionality.
on January 2, 2012
I purchased these gates because our house has three floors and we have a very active toddler who likes to roam. For a temporary fix we had purchased some plastic gates that were pressure-mounted only had no option for a walk-through wich meant my husband and I had to climb over them whenever we needed to pass. These arrived quickly, no damage, easy to assemble and look very attractive in our home. The brushed black metal finish does look nice and is subtle enough for any decor, but nice enough to have to look at everyday. I just wish First Years/Learning Curve had an option for spindle adapters as we have a wrought-iron railing on one side where we would like to put a gate as well.
on May 16, 2013
Bought one, worked so well, bought another. Very attractive. That is the first thing visitors say and then how well it works. I have a 40 pound energetic puppy and she has not been able to move it. She behaves so much better if she is in the same room with me. It works as well to keep out as well as to keep in. Put puppy on the outside of the gate to wash kitchen floor.
on April 25, 2014
These have worked great for us so far. We have them at the top and bottom of our hardwood staircase. You do have to be careful stepping over the lip, but that's on any gate apparently. We do not have them screwed into the wall and they have stayed very tight.
on May 12, 2011
This gate is great! It's attractive, tall, sturdy, made of high quality materials and cleans up easily. Best of all, I can open and close it easily with one hand! It also does triple duty in my house as a barrier for our 2 cats and our very large Newfoundland dog. It was a bit tricky to install initially but that was simply because I had problems tensioning it due to the discrepancy between the baseboard in our home and the wall. Yes, the opening is a bit narrow, but so are all the openings on walk-thru gates. You get used to negotiating through the space within a day of installing it. The 2 I bought were installed in doorways of odd/differing widths and fitment was no problem. Between the tensioning screws and the extension peices, both fit easily and beautifully. I'd buy them all over again if I had to.

My only regret is that I didn't find this gate earlier when I got a gate for my laundry room...

Update: I liked this gate so much so that I ended up eventually replacing the other baby gate in my laundry room with yet another one of these. The 2 in the main living area have finally come down and are being replaced by a gate on the stairs (our house is small already and I got sick of it being divided in half by the gates. Hence the stair gate.) and in their 17 months of use, they held up brilliantly. Against 2 cats, a toddler and a 130 pound dog. The one in the laundry room remains and will remain indefinitely. These gates are awesome.
on July 20, 2013
I bought this gate after searching for a decorative baby gate that would blend well with my iron railing slats. I saw the similar gate made by Summer but chose this gate because the color is black and grey which blends perfectly with iron. Additionally I noticed that the Summer gate has a piece that sticks out where the gate door latches to the frame- this gate does NOT have anything like that which makes it much safer to walk through the door opening unobstructed (noting to catch on your pants/pockets). This gate installed in about 5 minutes and looks great! It seems very sturdy and the door opens smoothly. I have no complaints at all- we are thrilled with this purchase!
on December 19, 2012
We purchased this gate for a small doorway between our dining and living rooms to restrict our dog's access overnight and while we're out of the house. It looks nice is sturdy and holds up to his chewing (not a single mark on the bars!). We didn't mount it with screws and for several months it's held up nicely. However, the other day our dog and our foster dog plowed right through it while playing. The foster dog is temporary so we probably still won't mount it with screws, it is a snug fit without. Hopefully they won't crash into it again. We also recently discovered our dog CAN easily jump over this. I caught him the other day and it made me wonder just how often he's done it when I'm not around! I know one thing, it's shown me that we really need to enroll him in agility classes.
on March 25, 2013
These gates are fabulous. We have them in two homes - one in FL and one in NC. They are well designed and built plus they install easily and function exactly as I hoped they would. These gates are a great value for the money. In fact, I would go as far as say "Thank you" to the manufacturer for such a quality product for so little money.
on November 24, 2013
Can not rave enough about this gate. The mechanism for opening is difficult enough that a child can't do it, although easy enough for a parent carrying a child to do one-handed without any strain. The height is great, my 18 month old is off the charts in height but this still stops him in his tracks. No lower rungs means he can't scale it, should he try. We've bought three of these.
Install is simple. Can be done by one but is made infinitely easier with a helping hand.
The extensions are sturdy, even when you have to use all of them (I was worried they might wobble, but they don't). We are in a rental and did not want to damage the walls so we only used the pressure mounting option and it's still great. We have one at the grandparents' house actually, that even fits at the bottom of a staircase.. huge plus!
Overall, fantastic. Have recommended this gate to all our fellow parent friends when they start looking into baby-proofing.
on April 5, 2014
I love this baby gate. My cat has a habit of bolting the door whenever anyone comes home. He lies in wait just inside the hallway for an opening. I would get calls from my roommates that he escaped in the front yard and had to come home from work in order to catch him. But no more! This gate has given me the comfort and assurance of his safety while I am out of the house. It fits the hallway perfectly and is easy and convenient to use. I highly recommend this product to anyone with a cat that escapes, provided that cat is not smart enough to jump over the gate (mine is definitely not smart enough). Now I don't have to lock him up in the garage during the day. It was so easy to set up, well worth the money!!