Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Flex Diet: Design-Your-Own Weight Loss Plan
Amazon Vehicles Back to School Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Ingrid Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now STEM

on December 27, 2010
Dr. Beckerman has succeeded in writing an accessible and realistic approach to heart health. With our busy lifestyles, many of us are simply unable to implement a "paradigm shift" in our lifestyle. Dr. Beckerman's 200 or so suggestions are well researched and provide an opportunity for success, not failure. I will recommend this to my patients!
on December 27, 2010
This is the first book on dieting and a healthy approach to living a fulfilled lifestyle. It's easy to read and informative. It is common sense in writing! I have lost 5 pounds in the first 10 days. This book helps organize your daily routine and it's fun to read. Good work Dr. Beckerman!
VINE VOICEon April 10, 2011
Don't be mislead by the title- there is no "diet" in this book. What you'll find instead are 200 lifestyle change suggestions. For the most part, they are very sensible ideas that will indeed help you be healthier. However, unless you're a complete newbie to weight loss they are almost all completely obvious things that you've heard a zillion times before. Weigh yourself daily! Keep a food diary! Drink six glasses of water a day! Take a multivitamin! Get a good night's sleep! Eat breakfast every day! Don't eat out of vending machines! Cut out sugar-sweetened beverages! Take a walk after dinner! Avoid high fructose corn syrup! Find a weight loss buddy!

I could probably count on a single hand how many of the 200 suggestions were actually new to me. What a waste of time.
on January 15, 2011
This book is the real deal. No fads or false promises, and it really works! The book is easy to read and understand. It walks you through the program step by step and is easy to refer back as you need and want. To be honest, I read the book out of curiosity to see what everyone was raving about and soon after begining the read, I was energized to start my own program! I highly recommend this book to everyone who wants to loose some weight, and or would like to learn simple ways to improve and maintain better health. Excellent book!! Go check it out for yourself!! Oh, and one more thing, I really appreciated Dr. Beckerman's down to earth, fun and relaxed personality/style in how he teaches and explains the program. There are no unrealistic preachings or excruciatingly long and laborious lectures anywhere in the book. Seriously, get the book, you WILL love it!!
on December 30, 2010
I'm an internist based in Indiana and have no shortage of patients looking for help with their weight. I've recommended a number of weight loss books over the years, but have always been a little hesitant about the "gimmicky" feel many of them convey. On the other hand, the more "evidence-based" diet books written by physicians are often dry and inaccessible. Either way, I tend to see a pretty lackluster response from my patients in terms of long-term weight loss. Dr. Beckerman's book feels like an amazing breath of fresh air in this space. It is evidence based, reliable and sound in its advice, steers clear of gimmicks, and is a breeze to read. I probably can't overstate this last point. Beckerman's book feels not only personalized but personable.

I'll be recommending The Flex Diet to my patients during January (always a reliable month for dietary advice). And I'll be keeping tabs on their weight loss over the next 3-4 months. If this book generates the results I'm expecting, it'll be my new mainstay recommendation in the future.
on December 31, 2010
Dr. James Beckerman's book - The Flex Diet - is a lifesaver. I have lost and gained the same number of pounds over and over. Dr. Beckerman has written an easy to read "life-style changes" to implement in anyone's daily life. I have lost 10 lbs. so far by incorporating his ideas into a healthier lifestyle. Being a housewife has its drawbacks in losing weight because I am at home most of the time - but The Flex Diet - has made it possible to be at home and still lose weight. I especially like the "Today - Every Day - Your Way" concepts. Dr. Beckerman's book has encouraged me to set "Goals" and then come up with "Solutions." I will be forever grateful for Dr. Beckermans desire to help his patients and people like me in an everyday life style that wasn't working until I incorporated "The Flex Diet" into my daily life. Thank you Dr. Beckerman
on January 5, 2011
I'm not much of a believer in diets or diet books. However, I've had a lot of trouble shedding baby weight from my second child, and a friend gave me this book for Christmas. I figured that I might as well try it....I'm happy to say that after only two weeks, I've lost five pounds!

The book is funny, insightful, down-to-earth, and the flex diet is NOT difficult to implement. Tips like photographing your overweight self and making it your screen saver really do help.

I'm impressed at two weeks in, and plan to keep on keeping on...hopefully in a few more weeks I will shed that baby weight forever.

I guess I'm now a flex diet believer--I recommend the book!
"The Flex Diet" is not only educational and informative, but also entertaining and down-to-earth. It is unique in that it allows the reader to create his or her own weight-loss program, rather than adhering to a predetermined regimen. I would recommend it for anyone looking to lose weight, as well as for folks looking to maintain their weight and find creative methods to live a healthy lifestyle. I have also found Dr. Beckerman's "Flex Diet" Facebook page to be very useful, in that it contains links to interesting articles and continues to provide updated tips for its Fans.
on January 3, 2011
Anyone can lose a few pounds -- just don't eat! But keeping them off is the tough part, as I know from experience. You have to take a long-term approach, and Dr. Beckerman is all about the long term. "The Flex Diet" doesn't tell you to make radical changes to your diet and lifestyle that will be impossible to sustain over time. Instead, it suggests a wide range of very small, simple changes that will add up to a huge impact on your weight and health. Some are as simple as enjoying a handful of almonds once a day. And you get to pick the changes that appeal to you and ignore the ones that don't! That way, you have a much better shot at "sticking with it" and keeping the pounds off. Looking forward to a healthier 2011.

Highly recommended.
on February 17, 2011
At first I thought this was going to be just a collection of solid,
but loose and disorganized weight loss strategies. Turns out it is
much better-constructed than that. You put the "every day"
recommendations into practice as ongoing, all-the-time strategies, and
then you can pick and choose from among the others. They're also
grouped, so it's clear which strategies you can swap out for others.
I've found this is much better for helping people establish and reach
goals: it's essential to have structure.

Lots of the "every day" recommendations are food-specific -- i.e.
"Greek yogurt is tasty and low in fat," or "almonds have a low
glycemic index." This is likely to help a lot of people. I should
say I am a psychologist by trade, and I am often amazed at how little
my patients know about good nutrition and weight. It's necessary to
have good, specific information about food if one is to make good
choices. This book can't be a replacement for one's own personal
nutritionist, but Beckerman presents his information in such a
reasonable, friendly and comprehensive way that it feels like
consulting a nutritionist when you read it.

Also, in his Every Day section, Beckerman makes a number of very au
courant recommendations about how to incorporate technology and the
Internet into a weight loss plan. I wasn't sure about this at first,
but after reading it I was sold. The most important element in his
use of technology is the ability to connect to others, and to share
your plan and your efforts. It's all about finding a social group
that will validate your weight loss progress. This is the basic
concept behind beating an addiction with the help of a 12-step
program: you find a group of people struggling with the same problem,
and all of a sudden it's not just you alone against the world. Being
overweight is a medical problem, yes, but being unable to follow
through on good healthy intentions is a psychological one. Social
support, as Beckerman recommends, can be essential if you want to hold
yourself to a plan.

Good diet book, well written and very sensible. Five stars.