Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Red and Rose nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New year, new music. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop modern furniture and decor Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon harrypotter harrypotter harrypotter  Three new members of the Echo family Today only: Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now

on July 26, 2012
This book is a bit of an oddity in that it looks something like a picture book, but reads at a much higher level, say junior-high or senior-high. It tells the story of Prudence Crandall of Connecticut, who in the early 1800s started a school for African-American girls. In seeking to give black children the same opportunities afforded white children, thereby creating more educated and presumably more socially responsible young citizens, both black and white, Crandall was vilified and her school was forced to close.

This book should be required reading for anybody studying American history, the history of early education in the U.S. and in New England in particular, the role of Abolitionists in the fight against slavery, and the role that women such as Prudence Crandall played in the social struggles of the time.
on June 16, 2014
Very good book, although sad ending, shows you the cruelty of some people not so long ago. She was a very strong woman to try to do what she did. She tried so hard to help black children acquire an education and got treated so badly by nasty low life whites (and I'm white) and ashamed of how we treated people back then, and even now. Everyone is due a good life.
on February 11, 2015
This book is a VERY quick read. It's an interesting story. I don't remember in the description when I bought it anything that indicated it is written for children, but it is. Than means the whole story is there, but not much detail. Includes interesting pictures. I bought it for my mother-in-law, and she loved it. She was a high-school teacher and she didn't notice that it was written for children!
on October 13, 2014
I have to admit I still have not finished this book .somewhere along I lost interest . I am not sure if it is the fault of the author or my own. Hope to get back to it as it is well worth the read
on February 10, 2014
This is history. What an amazing woman. Great book for teens and young adults. We all need to be inspired to take risks and stand up for others.
on March 14, 2015
I lived in Connecticut, never was aware of the courageous Prudence Crandall history. It should be mandatory reading in middle school.
on January 20, 2016
Seemed to be written for children. I wasn't expecting that.
on July 16, 2013
A mildly interesting account of a brave young woman's struggle to establish a school for girls of color. Had the feeling it was originally a master's thesis.
on January 3, 2013
We purchased for a school reading project. My daughter loved it and now has been read by some of her friends who loved it too. All in 7th grade.
on January 1, 2008
This is a book I will use for a beginning writing class at the university level. It's a quick read for that purpose and relates a piece of black and white history previously unknown. Because of the size and large print, it has the feel of a children's book, but it reads like adult nonfiction.