Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,007 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,155 reviews
on June 18, 2017
Love history and this story is a piece of our history I didn't know about. I heard this reviewed and wanted to read this book and bought it, now I just have to find the time to read it. Soon, very soon.
on September 13, 2014
After reading this book I engaged in a debate with a woman who was brought up in Communist-era Czechoslovakia. She was unconvinced that Tito wasn't a great man, loved by all, fair and diligent in protecting his country. Her mind was made up, and I can't change that, but reading this book did shape my view of former Yugoslavia and what happened there before Stalin and Hitler overran them. As for me, getting the other side and hearing about Mihailovich's aid to US troops...I loved hearing that side.

I was pretty pleased that I came out of it with a little bit of history, a lot of entertainment, and some really good debate material. I find it sad that the many many people raised and educated under the iron curtain will believe that Tito was a great man and Mihailovich an enemy.

Reading up on this subject is tough because the story is largely untold, but I recommend The Forgotten 500 for that reason. It takes a broad array of topics occurring in Yugoslavia and pieces them together for the reader to really empathize with the Chetnics and understand how this bit of history was so badly misrepresented for so long.
on June 28, 2017
I couldn't put down the book once I started reading. So, don't start reading until you have some time or don't mind staying up most of the night!
on September 13, 2017
This is a great read, it is not a novel but you will enjoy reading it if you are a history buff. It is a shame what politics plays on peoples lives, many lost their lives to protect our U.S. Airmen and to think that our own government almost turned their backs on these 500.
on June 6, 2017
Fascinating read about how Eastern Europeans fought their own war against Germany despite differences between each other in Serbia, Albania, and what was later called Yugoslavia.
on March 31, 2017
A wonderful read. Suspenseful true story of heroism and selflessness that went untold for decades. Once you read it, you'll pass it around to your friends as I have.
on March 7, 2017
A true but sad story mainly on the people of Yugoslavia and the US airmen. It's amazing that any country could have forgotten it's soldiers, especially the US of A. At least the airmen tried to repay the Yugoslavian people as best that they could, why the US government failed to do so is a mystery to me.
on January 1, 2016
Thank you Gregory A Freeman and contributors for bring this untold story to life so that others can read the truth of what so many ambassadors of freedom fought for during World War II. Astonishing to me, my father-in-law was one of the crew members in this story on the B-24 Fighting Mudcat. Only through this book was I to learn the brave deeds of so many.
on June 13, 2017
An amazing story of heroism, comraudery, and patriotism. A great look into the events of the work of the 15th US Army Air Corps, the bombing of the Oil Fields of Eastern Europe, and the plight of downed air crews. The people of the US and the people of Yugoslavia deserve to know the truth.
on April 28, 2017
This book is excellent. It is very well written and the sad but true story is interesting. Once I started reading it, I could not put it down.