Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-8 of 8 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 11 reviews
on July 14, 2014
The book that fills in the blanks of all the books written about the 13 days of crisis. The 14th day actually shows that after the agreement that was reached between JFK and Khruschev, the real work had to begin. Several issues such as inspection, warplanes and aftercare, had to be dealt with. It also shows both leaders were ready to move toward peace at a faster pace after this crisis. Unfortunately, time was not on their side...
on January 21, 2013
Most historical books we know how they end and most are not what you would call page turners. Even though I was a young teen in 1963 I do remember all the adults being very nervous. Later on in the miltary I was in photo intelligence so the subject interested me and I am a Kennedy fan. A very scary time in history and the Russian threat in Cuba was much more serious than we were led to believe. The author does a good job laying out the whole scenario but I thought the book was slow moving. When I did read it I enjoyed it but did not look to pick it up and read it, took me quite sometime to finish it.
on November 21, 2014
Great
on February 3, 2014
I lived the Cuban Missile Crisis as a college student, expecting to be drafted any second to fight the Soviets. This account really helps even folks who were around then, perhaps particularly folks who were around then understand the confusion, fear and complete lack of intelligence and planning to deal with a situation this close to home. Definitely worth reading.
on April 28, 2013
JFK ws a highly inteligent, pragmatic individual. He did not gloat over his suuccess & advised others not to also. his continuance insistence against the Joint Cchiefs made him hated by the miitary war- hawks who were not use to being told "N0" over & over again.. Love any book about JFK. my hero & always will be.
on January 19, 2013
I was stationed with the Army Security Agency at Homestead Air Force Base during the Cuban Crisis. we knew what was going on in the field, but had no idea what the action/reaction was in Washington. The movie "13 Days" scratched the surface, but this book takes the incident to the next level. The author discovered secret tapes from EXComm meetings between Kennedy and his most trusted advisers, in which the details of each component of the situation were discussed. It answered questions and put an exclamation mark on what I had known then was a tremendously unstable period in American history, a time when Nuclear War could have ended it all in a matter of minutes....in retrospect, it was a scary period.
Don Matthews
on October 30, 2012
I am a history buff and am old enough to have lived through the actual time. Loved the newly published Kennedy tapes used in the story. Very enjoyable reading!
on November 20, 2012
I found this book to be interesting & informative, without rambling on & sending one to sleep. The author really did his homework on this subject.