Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning _baw _baw _baw  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 28 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 45 reviews
on January 21, 2009
I can listen to Joe and be ok, but I have a hard time watching him in action since he's gone. We were friends for a long time. I conveniently missed it when it was in the theater, avoided purchasing it when it first came out, because I thought it would just be too heartbreaking to watch....but don't be a dope like me! IT's a wonderful film, my family and I watched it Christmas Eve. It's priceless to see home movies from when he was a kid, and see his parents. You see him as "Woody" and with his little girls, and just about every aspect of his personality, from the foulest of tempers, with due cause I might add...to just how gentle he really was underneath all the angst. There's great concert footage, great interviews around the campfires, which was one of his things...People tend to think about Joe for the things he said, they don't always get that the best thing about him was the way he listened. I could talk about Joe till the cows come home, but I'll spare you all. If you're a Joe fan, or a Clash fan in general, you MUST have this film, IT is the quintessential Joe film. I've always enjoyed Mr. Temple's work, and with this, he's outdone himself, and I'd like to thank him for putting it out there for us.

You should also check out Dick Rude's film Let's Rock Again, it's an entirely different type of film, also very touching and a good record of Joe's work with the Mescalero's, and thanks to those guys for getting him out of the wilderness and back on stage, and to Dickie for getting it all down!
on July 10, 2008
Amazing that it's been almost 6 years since his death. We all have our memories of Joe, and that collective, communal spirit is a major point in Julien Temple's documentary. You'll see dozens of folks interspersed throughout the piece, each giving remembrances around campfires. Interestingly, no one is identified via subtitle on screen, so you'll see everyone from Zander Schloss to Johnny Depp if you pay attention (doubtlessly part of the 1-world, human feeling the movie goes to great lengths to portray, from the best of us to the least of us we are all in this together.) The haunting quality of Joe's voice doing the primary voice-over narration for the entirety of the film is palpable. And fortunately Temple has unearthed scads of rare, quality footage including home movies, TV interviews, and even reel-to-reel from Joe's squatting days, which means we're not dealing with the same warmed-over Westway footage for the umpteenth time. The whole film is tremendously rich, crackling with energy & vitality, but also comfortable. This is the remembrance we've wanted (needed?) since the night he left, and for me it erases the bad taste of a dozen soulless cash-in "documentaries" that have been forced upon us over the intervening years. It's a fitting coda to Joe's life: not maudlin, not excessively mournful, not ridiculously celebratory. Just a bunch of folks sitting around relating what he meant to them, replete with ample historical context, with the man himself emceeing the procession. Joe meant a lot to a lot of people, he deserves this fitting (and very human) tribute.
on August 31, 2009
This film is essential for fans of The Clash and probably entertaining for any lover of music documentaries. The obligatory Clash music is there, but so is a lot of other music that Joe Strummer liked or considered influential, and his own voice DJ-ing his "London Calling" satellite radio show provides occasional narration, talking directly to his listeners and to us watching this film. For a guy who was filled with alot of anger early in his career, he had a very calming presence near the end and Julian Temple did a good job building that story line. Another technique that was really original and refreshing was how all of the "celebrity" interviews were mixed in with friends and neighbors and fellow musicians and none of them were identified when they spoke. Everyone just sat around the campfire--different campfires around the world--talking music and telling stories about Joe Strummer and The Clash. Turn this one up LOUD, sit back and enjoy.
on January 11, 2009
This is a must see DVD for not only die hard CLASH fans but for those who follow the history of popular music. The desperation of the times is truly captured in a massive collection of archival footage and interviews with friends and foes alike. Joe Strummer came out of a bohemian existence to lead the ONLY BAND THAT MATTERS to worldwide acclaim and a place in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. This documentary follows Strummer's humble pub band beginnings to starting the Clash starving the whole way thru flare ups,arrests, controversies and ultimately...success. The most important message throughout is that the band never really compromised their vision.Though detractors fault them for experimenting in different styles and the Clash were in effect always trying to make that next step forward. True the band burned out rather than fade away, but their place in history was all secured in a few short incendiary years.. The sorry part of watching The Future is Unwritten is the fact that Joe Strummer is no longer with us to make thought provoking music...but what a legacy he left behind...this is a must see !!!
on April 14, 2017
Great product
on May 27, 2009
They gathered old friends and acquaintances around the fire to tell us about Joe Strummer. And at first I was wondering why they were all sitting around actual camp fires until it got into Strummer's latter years of which I didn't know too much. I didn't know much about his formative years either, actually. I just liked The Clash. This documentary covers The Clash years and the years before and after really well it seems to me. I felt I learned a lot about the guy after listening to all these people who knew him. There is a lot of footage included. Highly recommended to fans of contemporary music and Joe Strummer and those that just enjoy a good documentary.
on August 25, 2008
I loved this documentary, it really told the full story of a creative spirit that got his message out and carried on long after the areanas were empty and the pint glasses were washed. Joe Strummer was a unique singer songwritter who embraced the political and social turmoil of the late seventies and put them to a musical score that is as vibrant today in its message as it was then.
By telling the mans story through the thoughts and feelings of his friends and aquaintences you truely can understand the mesure of this man and his music, we were lucky to have him on this planet and we miss him dearly this film helps to explain why.
on November 27, 2010
This is a great film about Clash frontman Joe Strummer. It gives a good insight on the origins of the band. It also shows what an excellent human being Joe was. It is sometimes painful to watch as it makes us realize what a hero we've lost. The film is done in the entertaining Julian Temple style. You wonder why everyone is interviewed around a campfire until it is revealed how important fireside gatherings were to Joe. A highlight is the long interview with Mick Jones. A must for Clash and punk fans.
on September 14, 2008
This is a very good documentary; lots of great footage. It really seems like a fresh retrospective. Some of the other stuff that's come out between 'Westway' and this, seems to have less to offer than 'This is video Clash', the late '80's quickie compilation. GREAT STUFF, from the beginning to the final incarnation of the band (i think the last album was a little better than the reviews, but not as good as what Husker Du was generating at that time). WHAT A BAND! I think Mick Jones had the right idea musically, during the Combat Rock period. Too bad we couldn't see a continuation of that.
on May 8, 2014
This Joe Strummer Roc/Doc is one of the best ever made. I'm reviewing it before I've received it because I had it dvr'd for such a long time. Tells all the way back from the days when the Sex Pistols opened for them! The Clash were known as the 101ers in the day. Bittersweet story, ending too. In my top ten!!