Lyft Industrial Deals Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Alexa on Mobile PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 94 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 143 reviews
VINE VOICEon March 23, 2015
This is easily one of the best gardening books ever written. I first received it as a gift and now have given as a gift many times.

The book is exactly what is claims to be: a primer on gardening. Yes, there are most definitive and exhaustive books on most of the topics covered, but you simply won't find a better introduction to gardening and such a quick reference to so many gardens issues, plants and ideas. If I had to own just one gardening book, this would be it.

Barbara Damrosch is an excellent writer, her research is accurate and the book is written in a friendly, warm voice that will make you feel like an old friend in a matter of minutes. The pencil illustrations in the book are beautifully done and there are tons of them.

I buy tons of gardening books each summer at used book sales, and I end up giving most of them back the next year. This is the keeper.
on March 24, 2010
UPDATE: BUY THE HARDCOVER VERSION OF THIS BOOK! It is simply too large to be bound in softcover. I bought the softcover version about 3 months ago and after only moderate use, many pages have fallen right out.

I bought this book to teach me what the heck to do with the 400+ plant gardens I inherited when I bought my current home. I had little experience with plants, and even less with gardening out of containers. This book has been very valuable and helpful to me, and I refer to it often. I have several (okay, tons) of similar "all-purpose"/encyclopedic gardening books, but this is the one I refer to the most. It cuts through all the superfluous information and tells me just what I need to know, instead of completely overwhelming me. It also has a very handy section on plants (annuals, perennials, veggies, fruits, shrubs, vines, etc.) that are easier to grow than most, with care instructions, idiosyncrasies, varieties to try, etc.
on September 2, 2013
Barbara Damrosch presents a Garden that is chock full of many activities. She shows you how to grow your vegetables,
how to edge your plot properly, and how to amend your soil. Every step of the way, she is with you.
She is a very knowledgeable and succinct writer.
The part I go back to all the time is the brief, perhaps 2 page, description of any plant you can imagine. With a matching, hand drawn illustration of the bush, the vine, the veggie, the fruit tree, it's all included. I especially like her description of the various ways to prune raspberries. There are 2 types of raspberries, did you know that? I did not. One bears once a year and heavy, the other is an everbearer. The pruning takes into account the different life habits of the two. Most clever. Something I am bound to forget. That's why I keep my copy of the Garden Primer on hand, to review and learn what I need do next in the Garden.
on December 6, 2016
This has been my gardening go-to book for decades. Barbara is an engaging writer, and makes you feel as if she is a friend working in the garden with you. Her book is packed with wise and practical advice. If I had to choose one gardening book (and I've read dozens if not hundreds), this would be my pick!
on July 2, 2014
I have this book just inside the door I go through to and from my garden. It is easy to quickly look up and find the particular information I need. She keeps everything very simple and I love that she uses organic methods. It is very comprehensive. I had originally checked this book out from the library, thinking I may get a couple pointers from it. I obviously decided this was a keeper and purchased my own copy!
on February 21, 2014
If you get only one gardening book, get this one. Amazing broad and thorough coverage for such a compact book and the black-and-white hand-drawn illustrations are better than color photographs. Great coverage of the basics for a beginning gardener,and a great review and overview for the more advanced one. I am a professional plant grower and teach community and college courses in gardening and horticulture and use this book regularly as a core reference. Even though I have a personal library of hundreds of gardening and plant books, this is the first one I would grab to save from a fire..
on June 8, 2017
Very disappointed with the second edition. There is not much new info from previous edition. Do not waste your money if you already have the first edition.
on May 17, 2014
Highly recommended read. A little slow, but worth the effort. The references alone are worth the price of the book.
on July 31, 2015
Ms. Damrosch does a great job in presenting a LOT of material to the newbie without being overtly technical or boring. (After all, if you lose the fun element, gardening will become a chore like anything else). A classic! Between this and the Southern Exposure Seed Exchange catalog, I found all the basic information I needed to get a home garden started.
on November 10, 2013
Without a doubt the best overall gardening book you can buy. Entertaining, readable, inexpensive and thorough. It's not a lot of technical mumbo jumbo... just great advice from someone who knows how to garden. I have two copies... one for the house... and one in the greenhouse. The one in the greenhouse is just about worn out.