Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Geek Dad's Guide to Weekend Fun: Cool Hacks, Cutting-Edge Games, and More Awesome Projects for the Whole Family
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now

on May 4, 2011
"Geek Dad's Guide To Weekend Fun" (GTWF) is the second book from Ken Demead who is of Wired's Geek Dad fame. GTWF shares a ton of fun, geeky, and educational activities parents can do with their kids. As with the first book, "Geek Dad's Awesomely Geeky Projects and Activities for Dads and Kids to Share", the new book keeps the same spirit of offering activities that vary in both complexity and cost, that help kids get hands-on learning experiences. What I most enjoy about the GTWF format is that it gives you enough of the project details that you can get it to work but still is open enough that you and your kids are free to use your imagination to customize each project to satisfy your own particular geek tastes. The new book, in my opinion, has definitely upped the geek factor without sacrificing simplicity and clarity. My personal favorite in this new book layouts the framework for a high tech scavenger hunt that involves installing Apache servers, mobile computers like an iPad or iPod Touch, and HTML/Javascript! Now that is some good geeky fun! I will highlight this particular project because it reinforced for me the importance of projects like the Geek Dad books offer up. Though I did a lot of the legwork to get the initial Apache server up and running and the initial HTML, my daughter took over and customized the plain vanilla scavenger hunt to one that focused on her current fascination with My Little Pony. The learning experience was masked just enough to make it fun; so that learning a few basics of HTML and Javascript was not a burden but rather a chance to express her creativity. When learning is fun and accessible it's never a chore, and the "Geek Dad's Guide To Weekend Fun" definitely gives us geek parents enough great ideas to ensure learning is a great experience for both child and parent alike.
on June 7, 2011
I bought this as a birthday gift for my son who has everything. He opened his gift on the morning of his birthday, called to say thank you and said he couldn't wait until the kids got home from school so they could all play "mad scientist" together. It was a pleasure for me to see my middle aged son acting like a teenager again. It sounds like all the kids on the culdesac now come over to see the "scientist dad" on the block do cool tricks. I would say the book was a great success. Most of the experiment/tricks required no special materials as most experients are done with regular household stuff.
on November 27, 2011
I liked this book as well (I got it and the original together), though I thought it was a LITTLE lighter on content than the first. For example, I didn't think a superhero cape (take cloth, make it a cape ) was really necessary to do.

But the very cool projects like the trebuchet, steadycam, custom lego minifigs, are all great design ideas.

This book does require a lot more components however (LOTS of legos, Arduino Circuit Board, RC Cars), so be prepared to spend more on these projects.
on January 5, 2015
I got these books for my husband for Christmas and he absolutely loved them! There are so many fun projects and even though he won't be able to do them quite yet with our son (he's 2 months), my husband will be doing some of them to test them out. The funny thing is all of his friends are more than ready and willing to also do the experiments and other fun nerdy things. The only downside I could possibly think of are the potential messes i'll have to clean up, oh well, I did it to myself for getting these super fun books for my boys (ok, and me, I can't wait to geek out with them)!!
on January 22, 2016
my husband hasn't read it yet but i want him to start trying some of the cool ideas I've read in there to do with our sons. He will have a lot of fun and so will they I know it was a good book to buy for Christmas to give him a little help with ideas.
on April 11, 2013
I think this is OK, some of the ideas are great, the build details are so-so.

Almost feels a bit old fashion given WEB and all the resources in cyber space.

A little google time is probably as good as this.
on December 28, 2012
For Dad's who REALLY love to invest in their Children....
Great choice for Christmas - my son and sons-in-law really were happy with the set of these "Geek Dads" books!
on May 24, 2012
My son and his wife are very involved in their children's lives. They are home schooled and this is a perfect book for different activities they can all be involved in. I also bought the other two "Geek" books for them.
on November 9, 2013
i got this as a gift for a cool geek dad i know. i think it was something he had looked at and never would have bought for himself. his wife actually guessed what it was before it was unwrapped! i cant say that he loved it or hated it but i think he was excited for it. it arrived promptly and it was exactly what i expected. i cant ask for more.
on November 2, 2011
I'm pretty handy but after reading this book and one of his similar books I shelved them both and haven't done a single project.

The ideas are:
really expensive unless you already have the components,
require WAY too much empty space, like an empty room in the house (yeah right!),
WAY too much work