Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Echo $129.99 All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis B06ZY5XM7W Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 103 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 121 reviews
on April 3, 2012
I always loved that movie since I was a little kid. Years ago, we finally got a VHS tape w closed captions. My mom borrowed it so she and her hubby could watch it. Her hubby (my stepdad) had hearing problems due to age. He needed to read closed captions. We laughed alot and my kids who hated classic movies..they loved that movie. My VHS player no longer works. I bought a DVD with NO English subtitle or closed caption. What about hearing impaired ppls who love to laugh w movies? That is why the company won't make English subtitles or CC? I hope another company would make it that so I will buy another one.
on August 23, 2015
This is one of my favorite movies by Jerry Lewis along with a very young Suzanne Pleshette! It will definitely tug at your heart. Of course, there's Harry the rabbit that seems to do more magic than Jerry Lewis as The Great Wooley. I did not realize that this was the screen debut of Suzanne Pleshette as a sergeant in this USO troupe. Very excellent movie....that grandparents should remember and can watch with their grandchildren!
on March 19, 2017
Great movie! I think it's a little pricey, but I am glad I have it in my new collection.
on May 11, 2017
Replaced VHS version with your DVD version. All was good; shipping, time shipped, price.
on January 10, 2002
Owing to Eddie Murphy remake, "The Nutty Professor" comes to our mind first as Jerry Lewis's most representative work, but it also tends to overshadow his other neglected gems, one of which is here, "The Geisha Boy." Despite its now corny title, the film has still a lot to offer for our laugh.
Jerry is this time a second-rate magician, who goes to Japan and war-time Korea, to entertain the soldiers; instead, he falls in love with a Japanese woman Kimi (Nobu McCarthy). He also forms an unlikely relationship with an orphaned boy, who considers Jerry as a new father. As the time of returning to America comes near, he has to decide: stay or leave?
Besides the touching story, in which Jerry shows his tender side, he exhibits lots of his crazy gags as usual, and they are very funny even now. Among many others, my favorite is "the biggest splash in the world" that happens in the Japanese public bath. And Harry the Hare always steals the show -- look how he runs in a hotel -- and Sessue Hayakawa appears as a cameo, to parody his role in a David Lean film (you know what).
As far as I can judge from the film, Jerry's segments are all shot inside America, just like they did in Bogart's "Tokyo Joe" (though we see a big statue of Buddha in Kamakura, Japan, Jerry does not share the screen with it.) The town of Japan is obviously made in a soundstage, but these facts are not important. As a Japanese, I am not a little surprised (pleasantly) to find that the film is friendly to Japan, (remember both nations were at war 13 years before) and inaccurate descriptions of Japan, which are still often found in Hollywood movies, are reduced to the minimal level. It is quite possible that someone behind the production team gave information on Japan, not to offend Japanese audience. The biggest suprise is that some of the gag are clearly made for Japanese; check out the scene where a Japanese boy watches a TV program. An American is speaking (dubbed) Japanese, but his speech is in a dialect of Kansai, western district of Japan. This causes a big laugh in Japan, because it is like hearing a Japanese speaking with a strong accent of, say, New Orleans or Scotland. Who thought of this idea?
My only complaint is the film is longer than it should be, and the opening and ending reels move a little slowly. And Pleshette's character (her debut, and appears in military uniform) should be given more screen time. But these are minor things. A good film that makes you laugh a lot.
on May 4, 2017
Cute movie
on March 27, 2014
Love this movie, as it has always been one of my favorite. The rabbit, child, Jerry Lewis and the cast of actors all were wonderful. If you need a family type movie with a great deal of laughter - you will enjoy this movie a great deal.
on February 10, 2014
This movie has heart and soul, it has great emotion and it is very well written. The bunny (Harry) is so funny.
on April 26, 2015
Wonderful movie I remember from my childhood. Had the grandchildren over for a movie afternoon with Grandma, they all loved it. Planning to by Rock-a-by-baby for the next afternoon movie with Grandma. One of the best things about these movies are that they are family-friendly, and just good, clean, fun.
on December 30, 2010
Helmed by Jerry Lewis' friend & mentor Frank Tashlin, this early solo effort was the beginning of a great collaboration between the two. Tashlin--being one of the legendary Looney Toons directors--had a keen mind for outlandish sight gags, and Lewis' brilliant physical comedy painted the canvas. I remember watching this on weekend afternoons and just howling at Lewis' antics as he clumsily meddles with a glamorous actress, his disastrous encounter with a sumo wrestler, and those moments with his scene-stealing rabbit (as part of his magic act, natch). Even Lewis' bond with a Japanese boy is quite touching.
But...WHEN is this gem of a Lewis comedy ever going to make it to DVD?? Same question with another rarely seen Lewis film of that time, "Rockabye Baby". They are both LONG overdue!