Truck Reviews Beauty Spring Reading Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now STL18_GNO

Some people complain the death of the cookie man is horrible. If a child doesn't understand this is only make believe and not true, he/she needs some real world experiences. Christ sake, this is a talking and walking cookie man. He gets eaten up at the end with no drama in the story line to infer a bloody or crumbly demise and no extra artwork to show a dead orcrumbly cookie. Get over it already. It's a really cute story about teasing too much. With a end result of a mean gingerbread man that is no more. Oops, maybe lots of teasing is no good. Maybe he's right.
|11 comment|Report abuse
VINE VOICEon December 15, 2014
This delightful tale is still as engaging for children today as it was decades ago. Repetition and memory are part of this story. The refrain of, "You can't catch me, I'm the gingerbread man," has the child repeating it right along with you as you read it aloud. And children like recalling the characters from whom the gingerbread man is running: the little boy, the old man and woman, the farmers, etc. The pictures are large and colorful, too.

I presented this along with a gingerbread man cookie cutter to a 4 1/2 year-old and her mommy. When I saw how much the little girl liked decorating my own cookies, I realized what a wonderful gift this could be, as it was not only a project for the two of them to enjoy, but the child loved the book and would have fond memories for years to come, each time she read it.
review image
3 people found this helpful
on April 20, 2016
This is the exact book that my children enjoyed years ago. I am now reading it to my grandchildren. It is simply written, yet illustrated so that the pictures tell the story. Toddlers can easily understand this version. And then, of course, cookies are made, decorated and then eaten!
2 people found this helpful
on August 29, 2017
I read this book to my children when they were young and I was delighted to find it still in print with the same graphics. I include this with every baby gift.
on December 3, 2017
Great, everybody loves this bool. Arrived fast and in great shape. No problems.
on January 1, 2015
I have 4 different versions of the gingerbread man. I purchased this one because it was required by my children's pre-school. It's my second favorite now because there's a little boy in the book that my little boys can relate to.
My favorite is illustrated by Gail Yerrill and retold by Louise Martin. I love the vibrant colors and I really like the excitement of the fox crossing the river with the gingerbread man on his back. My boys always have to start it off by counting the gingerbread men on the inside covers.
2 people found this helpful
on March 26, 2018
Cute and colorful.... Read this to my second graders at Christmas party as they put together the foam Legend of the Gingerbread Man ornaments... I loved both!
on March 6, 2018
My preschool age daughter loves this book. She repeats the main story line with excitement.
on January 6, 2018
Not the best version out there but a nice story nevertheless.
on January 19, 2016
I was hoping this book would be easier for my students who read a lower levels. Luckily they were very familiar with this story since this is part of a big unit on the Gingerbread Man. I would level this about an H or I on Fountas and Pinnell.