Your Garage Beauty LyingGame STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning powers4premiere powers4premiere powers4premiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,899 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,850 reviews
Whenever I am invited to a baby shower, this is always a gift from my husband & myself. I have even chose this book as a house warming gift.
Like movies, books of all kinds are very personal. What I mean is everyones perception of what they are viewing , in this case reading are very different.
All that I can honestly say about this book, what some people say is "controversial" is it ;
touches on feelings
teaches about selfishness
teaches about selflessness
teaches about caring
teaches about giving
this book really tugs at all the emotions everyone goes through one time or another. Or even all at once.
It has turned into a discussion book for all my grandkids. Through your own eyes, minds & hearts is how each person feels & experiences when they read this book, or has it read to them.
The book is a hardback & comes with a cover resembling the cover of the book. There are only 30 pages to these book. The illustrations are clean & simple black drawings on crisp white pages. These pages aren't numbered, just clean illustrations.
I hope this review helped.
I keep my copy in our livingroom, it's there always.
đź“–THANKS FOR READING, BYEđź“š
review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image
TOP 500 REVIEWERon June 14, 2014
The copy I received was the 50th anniversary edition. It is a nice hardcover, with a glossy dust-jacket that makes the book stand out on your shelf. The pages have a nice thickness to them, and the images are just what I remembered when I was little. Shel Silverstein would have been pleased with this re-print, as he was very particular about what kind of paper his illustrations were printed on, as well as the size of his images. Harper Collins did a nice job honoring and respecting that, even 50 years later, with this book and other recent re-prints/anniversary editions they are releasing. Though, he probably wouldn't be too keen on them being released on Kindle.

As for the content of the book, I was stunned to learn that "The Giving Tree" is a book that apparently is really hit or miss on Amazon. I had no idea as many people loved it as hated it. I personally love the story, even if it is a sad one. As most everyone knows, the whole premise of the story is a tree who loves the little boy unconditionally, and a boy who never returns the love, but continually takes until there is nothing left to take. We can choose to view this metaphor in a bunch of ways. The tree could be the parent, or the tree could be Earth and the child humanity. Either way it is a book that makes you think, and can definitely be used as a teaching book or a critical thinking book. It is not a book you read to a 1 or 2 year old, but one you read along with older children and ask questions as you go along. I can't wait until my children are old enough to share it with them!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon June 13, 2016
I am a grown woman and this children's book still makes me cry everytime. I got the hard bound addition so my kids could hold onto it. I have optimism it won't get destroyed. The Giving Tree is a must read. It teaches empathy, love, altruism, and touches on human greed. The tree should have a bit more self respect, but we all know the tree is basically a representation of parenting and we never stop giving, do we? It's a wonderful tale, and the closest explanation of a parents love for a child as we can put into words and pictures. I believe this is a beautiful book that will be cherished generation to generation. The Giving Tree is a timeless classic, and a beautiful gift to children and parents.
on October 4, 2016
One of my favorite books as a child, and now I read it to my children.

This story teaches the reader the importance of giving generously, without expecting anything in return. Even though the child in this story doesn't seem to show a lot of gratitude (teaching moment when I'm reading to my kids.. I ask them how they would treat the tree if they were the little boy), it shows that a giving heart is always beautiful, always worthwhile to someone who needs them. Sadly, there are people in this world who will take and take, until you have nothing left to give, and then they will turn their noses up at you and find another "sucker" to take from. This book also gives the opportunity to teach children that, while it is good to give without expecting anything in return, it's also necessary to take care of yourself, and make sure you have enough for YOU before giving too much to others. Also, helping people is always a good thing, but when someone DOES try to take advantage of your kindness, you have to walk away in order to keep yourself from ending up as a "stump".

All in all, many lessons can be found in this book, about gratitude, generosity, kindness, and learning when to say "no" to someone who would take away from you until you had nothing left without a second thought.
on November 6, 2016
"The Giving Tree" is the timeless story of a story who watches a boy grow into a man, while giving everything she has, while asking for nothing (and expecting) nothing in return. It's a tale that tugs on my heart strings every time I read it; it's a staple in my life, inside and outside of my classroom.

"The Giving Tree" is a rigorous and powerful with numerous themes, serious attention to writer's craft, and simple, yet poignant, illustrations to tell a very important story. You can use this text for just about any skill, along with using it to teach life lessons. This book is the perfect way to introduce reluctant readers to books, thus helping to create their reading lives.

The language is appropriate for my 5th grade students. They will enjoy this book's pacing, the flow, and the ending of the book, just as I did as a child, and love now that I'm a teacher. I highly recommend.
on June 6, 2017
I bought this book to read to my kids. I honestly had never fully read it before but I had read the reviews and thought I would give it a shot. It arrived on time and in good condition. The copy I had received was the 50th-anniversary edition. Beautiful hardcover, with a glossy dust jacket that makes the book stand out. Before reading this book to my kids, I read it out loud for my husband to hear it as well. It is both a sweet and sad story. There are so many ways a person can view this story and I was worried that it would go over my kids head but as I was reading it, especially around the parts where the boy got older and only kept coming back whenever he wanted or needed something, I could hear my daughter feeling sad for the tree. She had asked, "Why doesn't he want to play with the tree?" Needless to say, it was a good teachable moment about giving and taking or giving and not expecting anything in return and so on. I am very glad I purchased this book.
on May 7, 2017
Okay, I don't know why this was on a thoughtful list of books to give to hs graduates. I read it and the book made me angry. Overall, I felt someone was being taken advantage of...the tree. I don't know if the tree represents mother nature, the planet, or bad parenting skills...left me thinking humans in general will take advantage of a situation. Will leave at the house for one of my nieces and nephew to read, if they want to, their still into picture books.
on May 15, 2016
Be aware that if you try to download this book to a paperwhite or regular kindle it will tell you that "the item is not compatible with this device." Just because is says Kindle format does not mean it is compatible with all kindle devices.
on March 6, 2017
Quality was good but the story was disappointing. I had heard so many good things about this book, and maybe the fact that I had such high expectations was a factor in my disappointment, but I don’t think there’s much here to hold my grandkid’s attention. It was going to be part of a birthday present for the youngest one turning four next week, but I plan on returning it and getting something else instead.
Even though this is a hardcover (The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein) book aimed for children; nevertheless, the message it contains has deeper and more relevant meaning for adults as well as children.

I do not like giving away the primary theme of this wonderful 57 page volume but in a very few words and black and white drawings is a story of a little boy, a young man, and old man and one tree whose only desire is to make the boy, young man and old man happy. There is also a hidden message of appreciating our environment as it relates to life in general.

This excellent little hardcover book should be read by both children and adults and then discussed to understand the messages taught in just a few words and drawings.
Rating: 4 Stars. Joseph J. Truncale (Author: Haiku Moments: How to read, write and enjoy haiku).