Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning _baw _baw _baw  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 24 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 38 reviews
on July 14, 2017
I like unique things and this book is very unique. It's mostly a fantasy story, but it has a lot of philosophy in it.
on January 29, 2017
Interesting perspective on our roots and why we do what we do and are what we are.
on July 18, 2016
This is a great summer read for fantasy fans. It's really fun and utilizes an uncommon fantasy race to tell an original story.
on January 8, 2016
Granted this is not-so-subtle attack against modern life and modern eating habits, but I knew that when I purchased it, having run across the web site first. Taken for the sometimes brutal, sometimes lighthearted sarcasm that it is, it was a great, easy read and funny. I found it hard not to agree and empathize with the characters because I too am not fond of what humanity has become.

Is it yet another "noble savage" story? You bet, but with a great semi-fantasy twist. Especially worth it for paleo and low-carb eaters for it's high-level take on those subjects.
on July 13, 2014
I've been considering reading this novel for quite a while now. Reading the synopsis, I had my doubts initially, expecting yet another twist on the Pocahontas story, though with hyena people rather then blue aliens.

That being said, I took the chance, and was not disappointing. In fact, I have been unable to get the story out of my head.

The story is told in a series of dialogues between the two main characters, Aiden O'Rourke, a human ethnologist, and Gryka, a female Gnoll. The characters may at first appear to be somewhat flat, as I feel the story sort of thrusts the reader right into the main point without any subtly. Their relationship seems to build without much real incentive. However, as the novel progresses, the characters seem grow into themselves.

Once I started reading, I found it impossible to stop, which really speaks for the characters. The two characters managed to win over my attention based solely on the strength of their unusual relationship with each other.

The entire point of the novel seemed to try and argue a philosophy based around returning to nature in a sense, which speaks to me personally. That in mind, it was easy to overlook the sometimes confusing setting (established government seeming to be medieval one moment, then discussing the use of bicycles, and smart phones.) This setting was used as a metaphor, and did indeed further the philosophy being proposed.

Overall, I loved the book and would definitely suggest it to anyone who longs for a simpler life with less needless complications. It is a quick read that I put away in only 4 hours (when I should have been sleeping.) I've never had such a short read stay with me long after it's done.
on February 3, 2014
This is a good read so far. Haven't had a lit of time to read all of it but the story thus far is good and keeps me interested. Just have lot's going on at the moment. Will comment later.
on January 8, 2014
I don't really read novels, but this one is worth it. It's a very interesting commentary on modern life and humanity in general.
on December 11, 2013
It was a good read. Very thought provoking and it inspired me to buy a crossbow. I have recommended it to my hubs and boss and even my young children (except that I would make them skip some parts). It makes you ponder our existence and how we lost the point of existence (which is to pretty much keep existing)...but without so much stuff. Good to help you heighten your everyday awareness and get back to living by instinct. I want to take up hunting now and plucking my own chickens but not in a misogynistic kind of way, just because I feel I really should know how to do this and attempt at deriving my own food-in case I really have to one day!
on September 6, 2013
While the overall character development was too contrived to make much sense, and the philosophy was somewhat undeveloped, this book still manages to create memorable characters, concepts, and locations. If you're willing to meet it halfway then it has things to say.
on June 17, 2013
A wonderful, inspired, original, inspiring story! I don't want to give away anything, but this book is a cry of joy and terrifying beauty, an extraordinary commentary on the human condition, something that can change the way you see the world and your place in it.

Amazingly enough, this book reflects some of the deepest teachings from Tibetan Buddhism; the fearless radical insight of Dorje Drollo, speaker of the Three Terrible Oaths:

However things are, may they be that way!
Whatever is going to happen, may it happen!
There is no (separate) purpose!

This little story evokes a direct and total engagement with life, and explains why hyenas laugh.
READ IT!!!