BCA Month Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pick of the week PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon outlanders3premiere outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now HTL17_gno

on August 16, 2017
Good story with clever twists. I couldn't tell it was SciFi or where it was going at first. Harkaway is a virtuoso with analogies, similes and metaphors. Lots of fun. And Ninjas too.
on June 8, 2016
The tone reminds me of Neal Stephenson's early days: Serviceable writing, made up for by oodles of enthusiasm and striking ideas. It has some recurring insights on the nature of evil and why people participate in it which really resonated, and a KILLER twist about 2/3 of the way through. Entertaining, not life-changing.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 8, 2017
This is a book I love simply because no matter how many times you read it you can always find something new to appreciate in it. Whether it be the ending, the beginning, the beautifully done twist, or just the story itself. I love this book for every part of it.
on November 14, 2012
The "Gone-Away World" is one of the best fantasy fiction novels I've ever read, and I've read zillions. The voice of the narrator is authentic, the characters are creepy, hilarious, and deep, the plot is snaky, and the Gone-Away world itself has a major role to play. It's packed with metaphor and Jungian symbolism but I assigned it to my middle-school students who also enjoyed it. It's one of the few books my daughter packed when she left home for college. Highly recommended. (Also, please read "Angelmaker!")
on May 29, 2013
i'm not going to write a long blah blah blah about this book. i just have to say: GET YOUR HANDS ON THIS BLOODY GREAT BOOK PRONTO. you will not regret it... unless of course you are a complete idiot without a sense of wonder, humor or the absurb and then all bets are off and you should not be allowed to lay your withered and moisture sucking eyes on his brilliant wordage.
on August 27, 2013
In the last few years, I've bought about seven copies of this book so I can give it to people. One review called it a "jigsaw puzzle of a book," and another called it a "sprawling epic," and both of those things are true. It takes a while to get into it - it took me six months to finish the first half. But once the book catches up to itself, and you realize what's been happening the whole time, you will be absolutely floored at incredibly good and funny and well written it is.
on September 11, 2013
Beware. You will have a non-existent hero, a man who can be killed but will not die. You will have a tale of what's going on, but it will not be what is actually going on. You will have touching, heart wrenching love, totally fulfilled but not even a bit fulfilled. You will have a world with missing pieces, remaking itself with hybrids from the void and the real remainder. You will have a world with extra pieces. Equip your couch with a psychological seat belt, then set sail.
on March 28, 2013
I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder. Though I started out confused and wondering about worth, I grew to know and care about the characters - some to love and some to hate. My mind's eye held pictures of many of them. Yes, plot twists and turns up the ying-yang, but that was endearing to me. A few "Ah ha - I should have seen that coming" moments. All in all, a jolly good ride. I'll be reading more Harkaway.
on December 28, 2013
I have read and reread this book at least 4 times, urged everyone I know who has even a passing interest in science fiction to read it and bought copies for my three children. I love the world, the characters, and even the mimes. Well, maybe especially the mimes. It is a whirlwind of a ride and unique. Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful
on January 31, 2016
This is one of my comfort books. Everything about this book surprises. That said, it's not a book for everyone.