Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Red and Rose nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New year, new music. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop modern furniture and decor Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheBigSick TheBigSick TheBigSick  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now

on May 31, 2016
Rich and descriptive text sweeps you back to China where you stay rooted in the land til the novel's end, wanting more, and thankfully realizing the novel 'Sons' follows. You can feel it all: the dark smell of the good earth! Olan's delight when she finds the gems, the restlessness and boredom of Wang Lung as he grows full and rich, the clang & clatter of the "fire wagon." I better go crack it open again... I think it's time. Enjoy!
on March 14, 2016
The human nature cycle is repeated in every culture but the land remains as a testament to what is good. This story set in China is beautifully written and takes on a journey to see through one man the power of the earth.
on May 2, 2017
I read this book years ago and will now be reading it again for a book group I belong to. I remember it was a great book and I look forward to re-reading it.
on February 25, 2015
I received my used copy of The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck and it was like I had gone back in time! The book was old but it reminded me of the book I read when I was a child and smelled the same. It is in great shape but seems fragile. I love it! Thank you for making my day!
on June 23, 2017
Fantastic book One of my few latest favorites.
on September 11, 2016
This is a revisit of a classic I read many moons ago. There is no point in reviewing one of the greatest books in a trilogy that is part of our cultural literacy. The story Wang Lung and O-Lan will resonate as long as there is life in the earth and on it. How times have changed for China! It should be required reading, not just as a school assignment but for personal growth.
on December 1, 2013
This book is a spell-binding classic. Written in the early 1930's, it tells of the rise and fall of a peasant farmer, Wang Lu and his family. Wang Lu comes to venerate his land and the land is both good and bad to him, depending upon the gods (seasons). He marries an ordinary peasant slave, O-Lan and they have 3 sons, a daughter, and a poor fool. (girl who is dumbfounded). Wang Lu throughout most of the story acts as a righteous husband and father. However, lust and women get the better of him and in his older age causes nothing but problems. In the end, the rich Wang Lu wants nothing more than to be buried on his precious land next to his father and O-Lan. From dust you come and from dust ye shall return.....
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
This is a classic that every serious reader should undertake! I would highly recommend it to anyone interested in Chinese History, as well as agriculture and just plain old human interactions! Always thought Pearl S. Buck was Chinese. She is not and she won a Pulitzer Prize in 1938 for The Good Earth! Curious yet? It is a fabulous read!!!
on March 16, 2015
Using the tools of a gifted writer Mrs Buck weaves a tale that compels the reader to continue to the end. The story begins describing the life of a poor farmer with a small piece of land and the love of that land. The first day we meet Wang as he is going to fetch his bride, a slave in a great house in the Chinese walled town near to his beloved land. We follow him and his family from subsistence farming to becoming a great family with silver to spare and ever more land or as Mrs Buck would say good earth. We'll worth a read for most anyone.
on December 3, 2014
It is no wonder that this classic novel has withstood the test of time. This story has to be as intriguing today as when it was first written in 1931. Pearl Buck writes with such amazing description that one can feel the emotions of the characters, and yet the simplicity of her writing is appealing to all ages. I have just started the second book of this trilogy, entitled Sons. I hope to find it as captivating as The Good Earth.