Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 39 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 108 reviews
on November 28, 2014
I assigned this book for my Community College students in my Reading classes for several semesters. It gave me a look at customs so different from our own, and many of the vignettes were absolutely heart breaking. It is a must-read. Pick it up, read it, and share it with everyone you know. Help them to understand the plight of women in China.
on August 30, 2013
What an amazing account of such a diverse group of Chinese women including both cultural norms and historical context. I was captivated by the author's compassion and honesty as she discussed patriarchy, homophobia, prison life, natural disasters, death, aging, sexual terrorism, domestic violence, politics, and so much more. Although not written for the faint of heart, this work is a labor of love and an exceptional account of the multiple realities of women's' lives in China.
on June 1, 2017
It was so deep. Horrifying and beautiful all at once. Chinese women have it tough. They are indeed tough women. Wow... but so are we. Women are tough...
on March 22, 2014
The writer is excellent. The first story is so interesting that I could not stop reading it . Was very disturbing and I found myself asking could this be true? Sometimes story's are played upon to make them more interesting. But still there is truth to the story I can feel it .And when I consider were these stories come from (China) I'm inclined to believe that they are true. As you can see this Chinese woman writer, Xinran , gets one to thinking! So nice to read and hear about women from other countries makes me feel closer to women in general all over the world suffering from such stupid indignities imposed upon them by society. To sum it all up I'd say this book is interesting reading. I recommend it highly.
on July 10, 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed learning more about women in China and what they have endured over the last century. There were a lot of heartbreaking stories that needed to be told and Xinran not only gave them a voice but did so with dignity and honor. I am a parent of an adopted Chinese child and I truly want to understand and know all I can about women's plight in China. This book definitely gave me insight.
on November 6, 2007
This is an easy read. As someone else mentioned, you can read the short stories on the subway or in short breaks. The stories are simply written. If you are not familiar with Chinese culture, you may find them shocking. They give you a nice overview on the topic.

The introduction of the book where the author is almost mugged and has her manuscript almost stolen is unbelievable. What author has only one copy of her hard earned work? This is not a big deal, but it created doubt in my mind about the truth of the other stories. This work is non-fiction supposedly. How much did the author exagerate? Of course, the mugging story could be completely true and in that case I apologize to the author for questioning her.

For more in depth understanding of Chinese culture and society I recommend the following:

Wild Swans
China Wakes
China Road

For outstanding fiction try Ha Jin books.
on June 1, 2017
great stories about women in china. definitely worth a read.
on June 15, 2015
One of Xinran's most heartbreaking books, the stories of every women in this book is absolutely intense, and Xinran was of wording everything so well that we are able to feel everything for these women
on October 8, 2015
This book opens your eyes to many things. Get ready to cry and go through the journey these women went through. Very sad but great book!
on November 3, 2013
I had this book in my library for quite some time before I read it. I regret that I waited so long and ordered another book by this author as soon as I finished it. Be warned, many of these stories are very sad. If you can read them without shedding tears, you have no soul!