Your Garage Beauty LyingGame STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning masterpiece masterpiece masterpiece  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 69 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 83 reviews
on November 29, 2013
The editors have spared nothing in the art, the words, the cataloguing, and the sharing of a side of Emily Dickinson--her writing on fragments. the crossings out and divisions of words, the careful spacing on fragments of paper, the love of the poet and her life that they put in this project. For anyone who wants to understand Dickinson as a real person he or she can reach through her poetry, I recommend this book.
on August 1, 2015
I've compiled so much information about the Belle over the years, I did a six-part series of columns (so far) on a poetry site I belong to. I have many books about Emily in addition to her collected poems, her biography, her letters, etc. I've been collecting books about her since the late 1970's. This is an absolutely cherished treasure. I turn the pages in awe.
on December 18, 2014
There is just one small feature in the graphics i would have done differently but that is a matter of personal opinion; The text is clear and informative giving examples of how E D's use of the papers help us to understand her poems better and wonder whether she would have had them printed that way had she cared to. This book shows how Emily Dickinson's enigmatic poetry was motivated by the domestic structure of her life and her idiosyncratic approach to it. When the post arrives most of us look to the content, and no doubt she did, but her adrenalin must have notched up at the possibility of a post-mortem on the envelopes. The book gives one a clear sense of this and allows us to share the visual excitement of the revealed results.
The Gorgeous Nothings is also beautifully produced so in itself is a pleasure to own
Ian Tyson
on October 17, 2015
One of the most physically beautiful books I am privileged to own. This book consists of photos of Emily Dickinson's poems as she originally wrote them: on the backs of envelopes, on odd pieces of paper, on anything she had at hand. After leafing through this oversized book, you will be, as I was, amazed that anything she wrote ever was published at all.
on May 24, 2014
Many artists & writers use envelopes to jot down quickly inspiring thoughts. [Ellsworth Kelly for one] Envelopes & writing paper are often the nearest paper at hand. Emily Dickinson's musings are beautiful because one can see her thought process..as she chooses one word for another. The book has presented these bits of paper and placed them so interestingly on each page, each page is an example of pure minimal art.
The book is a gem, because of what it has to say & the way it has presented it.
on April 18, 2014
Those tiny "nothings" of Dickinson's have been released to us here in this astounding book bringing us as close as we can get living in our time to touching her pages and feeling the texture of the world she filled with language. Essays within this great collection by Susan Howe also allow us further insight into how to look at this collection of images and ways of thinking about an author most of us grew up reading--either on our own or at least in school. A fabulous book which also makes for a great discussion piece--where do you write your gorgeous nothings? And centuries later, who is looking at them? A treasure to behold, and a great book.
on August 25, 2015
I bought this book as a gift for my 15 year old daughter. She has been exposed a little to Emily Dickinson's poems in freshman lit class. She loves this book. Later in the year I purchased The Collected Poems of Langston Hughes (Vintage Classics) which I suppose is different, but maybe not. Both poets' writings appear to speak to my budding poetess with clarity and beauty
on July 8, 2014
Any lover of Emily Dickinson's poetry would love this chance to enter into the poet's world a bit by witnessing her scribbled lines on all sorts of scraps of paper. Each example is given its own to pages, letting the viewer linger over the examples. It is a perfect complement to her cooled poems. Each example also has its own artistic value.
on July 25, 2017
Outstanding look into the world of Emily Dickinson.
on March 1, 2016
A truly beautiful book! I gave it as a gift to a friend who is a true Emily Dickinson. It has been a favorite in poetry book collections.