Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 STEM Handmade Mother's Day Gifts STEM Book House Cleaning siliconvalley siliconvalley siliconvalley  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 132 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 160 reviews
on May 22, 2014
This is definitely not another fluffy light hearted period piece, i.e., a musical without the music. No, this is a serious 2 seasons delving into the hearts and souls of staff, owners, residents and guests at THE GRAND, a hotel in 1920's Manchester, England. This series have effected me in ways that a series like Selfridges has not. I have had strong emotional reactions to several episodes that lingered with me for days afterwards, causing me to contemplate cause and effect plus the great impact our specific time period has upon our lives. A couple pivotal episodes for me illustrate this.SPOILERS! In one episode a staff member must face his youthful biological imperatives to find love/sex. But he is gay in 1920 England! The man is ethical and seeks love and a companion at a time when the only public displays of homosexuality entailed brief "encounters in the night": which tormented him with guilt and a sense of emptiness. This episode followed me for days, as I realized how restricted this man's choices were in 1920 England, when the nicest thing a person might say about being gay was that it was a horrible perversion worthy of jail time! What was a nice guy who happens to be gay do? Another pivotal episode for me involved a poor maid who sought to improve her station in life, but was raped by "gentlemen", killed one of them in a tirade of fear and rage, and (since rape was the woman's fault in 1920) was hung in the gallows at the age of 17. I actually mourned this character for days. This series is serious. There is charm galore and moments of great love and community between "downstairs" and "upstairs". I am just sorry this series ended after only 2 seasons. Evidently, some viewers found the topics a bit too close for comfort, preferring a lighthearted costume piece with trivial plots and nothing significant to linger in the mind. I am just grateful for these 2 wonderful seasons of REAL people and REAL problems.
on September 29, 2014
Although some Amazon reviewers regarded this collection as melodramatic and a bit "soapy" my husband and I categorize it as a glamorous saga. As each episode concluded, we wished for more yet, we not left "hanging on a cliff." Our emotions were not dallied with which, for us, takes it out of the sensationalist category. It was a good, long story with a satisfying ending and a lot of purely enjoyable entertainment along the way.
on April 11, 2017
Engaging, good production values, worth watching but... in the end some characters seemed undeveloped, no character is heroic, and the ending is not as satisfying as one might want but not bad. Not in the league of Downton Abbey.
on March 31, 2017
This is a gift for Easter will update if necessary
on December 31, 2012
This may be a matter of taste, but I did not like the subject matter. The acting was very good but the bad guys were really bad and good guys were not good enough. Thanks, Jane
on March 28, 2017
This series was wonderful
Wonderful story of acceptance & friendship….
on October 10, 2010
I am a big fan of British drama. I have over 100 DVDs in my colleciton. The Grand is full of wonderful actors but the writing and directing of the series is poor. The sudden, non sensible turn of reactons and emotions were silly most of the time. The story flows some how and is some how entertaining but makes you cringe at the same time. I don't know how to explain it. I have never watched a British movie or series quite like it LOL. I personally wouldn't recommend it but some may like it. Oh, and it's definitely about the seedy side of old Manchester if that's your cup of tea.
on October 26, 2015
Wife loves it.
on July 21, 2008
This series has everything one could want: love, hate, war vets, lust, deceit, betrayal, money, and power. You will love some of the characters and hate others, but will definitely be drawn to the compelling storylines. The sets and period dress serve to transport one directly to the twenties, and give one a taste of what life was like for not only the privileged but the not-so-privileged as well. The only complaint I would have is that there are not MORE episodes!