Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far Women's Block Sandals nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Carters PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Introducing Fire TV Cube Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon theaffairS4 theaffairS4 theaffairS4  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

The Grand Tour: A Traveler's Guide to the Solar System
Format: Paperback|Change

on June 20, 2014
I loved the initial version of this book, and this one is far better. The space probes gave the authors so much more to work with in describing the other worlds in our solar system. I read it to escape, and fantasize about actually being on one of the moons of Saturn as it rises over the horizon. Great photo, brilliant artwork and easy to read text. Highly recommended!
on October 8, 2012
I read the first edition of this book in 5th grade, shortly after Voyager started beaming back images to Earth. The paintings back then captured my imagination and led to a lifelong love of astronomy. Glad to see that the authors/artists have continued to keep this book current. I think it's still written at the right level for a science-minded kid that doesn't want to be talked down to but still more approachable than your standard science journal.
on December 1, 2015
bought it for a friend. glanced at it briefly, seems thorough.
on July 24, 2006
I prefer photographs (or images made from spacecraft) over paintings, and I bought this book to raise my kids' interest in space. Well, it was my prejudice. The book has loads of the newest images, including some from the Cassini-Huygens mission, and the paintings are great, in the sense that they are not fantasy, but "down-to-earth" renderings of wiews we could have if we were there. Much better than I expected. And it is not only the images. Great text, great reading.
3 people found this helpful
on September 4, 2011
I purchased this book for my daughter, a professor of geology, after reading an interview with Peter Francis. He has an amazing varied background and writes to teach and share the information about these awesome events. Nature and how the marvels of geologic science. I am a novice but am enthralled by the content.
on November 13, 2015
Arrived as described and on time. THANKS! AAA+++
on May 14, 2013
HAS EXCELLENT INFORMATION AND GREAT PHOTOS. COMPILED IN A MANNER THAT MAKES IT EASY TO JUST BROUSE OR STUDY. SMALLER SIZE MAKES IT EASY TO TRAVEL WITH.
on January 30, 2013
I remember when I was a kid, this book was the first book I read from cover to cover. I recently bought it for my son and he loves it. Great book!
on February 28, 2013
Excellant! Even though the info is outdated (1981) it was worth getting for the images alone and couldn't be beat for the price.
on December 11, 2014
ehh... the pictures were nice