Lyft Industrial Deals Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Alexa on Mobile GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,169 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,915 reviews
on October 21, 2016
Book came in excellent condition even though it was a very cheap used copy. Looks nearly brand new.
I've read it before. It has an exotic, vaguely dark, odd feel to it, and yet it captures your attention and makes you love the characters. At the last scene of the book (SPOILERS) -----*******when he leaves the cemetery, I cried my eyes out. (Granted I recently had become a father and a friend had lost their baby so the scene was particularly poignant). I recommend it highly.
review image
on August 29, 2017
The Graveyard Book Neil Gaiman is my favorite author. Period. I love fantasy and science fiction, but I love Neil's work most of all. His writing is so accessible, filled with humor and imagination. Like all Gaiman stories, it begins with parts that slowly assemble into a working whole, keeping you on edge and turning another page.
on September 19, 2017
My first Neil Gaiman book and it turned out to be very different than what I was expecting in a wonderful way. It's sort of like short stories about the main character that sort of connect at the end. Either way I fell in love with the book and Gaiman's writing.
on July 4, 2017
Delightfully enchanting, bittersweet and original. There seems to be a hole in the main plot but it really didn't seem to matter because it wasn't the point of the story, really. A unique story line, great characters, I would love to read a sequel.
on September 12, 2016
Oh My Goth! I Once I Started Reading This, I Could Not Put It Down And Stayed Up Late Into The Wee Hours To Finish It! This Is The Awesome Magical Story Of Bod, The Living Boy Who Was Raised By An Entire Graveyard Of Ghosts. I Have Always Had A Love Of Graveyards And This Book Did Nit Disappoint At All! How Could It? It Was Written By The Same Author Who's Magic Gave Us Coraline And Stardust! I Have Already Found The Author, Niel Gaiman, Readinging It U-Tube And Have Texted My Daughter To Suggest This Book For My GrandChildren To Read And Write Listen To Now For Halloween! I Have Both Of The Mov Iil es 'Coraline' & 'Stardust' But Now I Know I Need To Go Back And Read Them And Anything Else He Writes! ♡♡♡♡
on July 29, 2017
Many tales in the Coming of Age genre can easily fall prey to cliches. Gaiman lovingly treats any cliche he chooses to employ with respect and inguinuity. Neil has a unique blend of wonder in his storytelling that always seems to walk the line between heartache and hilarity -- The Graveyard Book is no exception. A perfect read for any occasion.
on March 2, 2017
This is nowhere near my kind of book, but I read it and now this is my new favorite book! Love the complexity and characters. I read it in just a few days. I couldn't wait to get home and read every night. If you haven't read Gaiman, this will change your mind!
on February 7, 2014
The idea of being raised in a graveyard is a much better twist on the baby being raised in the forrest by wolves.

Reading other reviews, I see that many people write a summary of what the book is about. When I read reviews, I look for why people like one book over another. Much like picking out the write brand of blender, I'd rather know how reading a good story made someone feel over the plot summary. That's what reading the inside cover of a book or Amazon's little blurb is for.

First, I collect books that I would want my child to read one day and meanwhile will recommend to my tutoring students. I recommend books with a sense of adventure, compassion and and well defined relationships. To me, a great story is all about the relationships. Second, I collect books I will read over and over again until I can no longer get anything new or I can't feel the great emotion that comes from the reading journey. Lastly, I collect books from authors who consistently tell a fantastic story and appeal to my sometimes dark sense of humor.

All that said, I love Neil Gaiman. His sense of how relationships work and the stakes he raises for his characters are always thrilling and always placed in the realm just outside of reality. Nobody Owens is a beautiful simple character whose experiences create relationships for the reader to everyone he encounters in his life at the boundary between living and death. We begin with such high suspense and then while we are still gripping the ride's safety bars we allow the journey into life in the cemetery. Enjoy watching Bod grow into adulthood and you will happily accept the open ended ending.
on July 18, 2013
Pretty much just like the title for my review. :)

Oh, your still here... Um okay....

** Does a little dance **

Not enough? All right.

Amazingly enough even though I enjoyed Neil Gaiman's Sandman comics when I was younger I never had read any of his novels until this one. It tells a macabre story in such a lighthearted way that you forget how horrifying the situation is.

Semi-spoilers ahead, seriously this book is good and you really don't need to know this to enjoy it so you might as well learn through Mr. Gaiman's writing instead of mine half a**ed version.

A small child survives a man who came to murder him and his whole family by crawling into a near by Graveyard/Nature preserve and is saved by the Ghostly residence of said Graveyard. What follows is several short stories about the child, now named "Nobody Owens", and the problems he has growing up amongst the dead. As horrifying as that sounds, it really is turned into more of a coming of age story than you would expect from that set up.

Most of the stories work with only one part falling flat to me (a part where he goes into town trying to purchase a headstone for one of the graveyard residence) but it seems to end too soon and leaves you wanting to know more stories about little Nobody.
on October 27, 2015
Another wonderful, thought-provoking Neil Gaiman book. Judging by the titled one might think this is going to be a scary, creepy story. It is a little bit - anything that happens in a graveyard at night always seems at least a little creepy, but this is more a story of wonder and magic and hope. A frightening event leaves the child in this story wandering around a graveyard, where he makes friends and a new home... a place much safer than the one that led him to the graveyard in the first place. The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman won the Newberry Award. That may not be enough reason to add it to your book shelf (Yes, it's primary audience is teenagers, but there's no reason adults will not enjoy this too(, but you should buy it and read it simply because it's a marvellous story.