Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Oprah's Book Club Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon counterpart counterpart counterpart  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite Game of Thrones: The Complete Seasons 1-7 now available on Blu-ray and DVD Shop now TG18SW_gno

The Great Gatsby
Format: Paperback|Change

on January 8, 2018
I read this novel when I was studying American literature at my University and immediately fell in love with F.S. Fitzgerald’s writing. “The Great Gatsby” is familiar to many of us from the movie based on it, but one should really read the book to get a full grasp of the story, even though it’s one of those rare occasions where the movie was just as good as the novel itself. But the beautiful language, the allegories, the symbolism that Fitzgerald is using can only be enjoyed through the written word, and I highly recommend everyone reading this beautiful novel that is rightfully considered classic.
The parallels between the self-made man Gatsby, who is still a hopeless romantic, a dreamer deep down in his soul, and the clan of the Buchanans, which represents the concept of “old money” in this novel, are drawn with ruthless precision. Their soulless, consuming nature, their disregard for everything and everyone masterfully concealed by the polished attitude and the carefully created aristocratic image is opposed by the tender and dreamy nature of Gatsby, whose only dream was to reunite with the woman he loved, and because of whom he amassed such a fortune. Unlike the Buchanans, he’s not interested in money for the sake of money; for him, it’s only the means of reaching his dream, and eventually, he pays the highest price for that dream of his.
An absolutely fascinating, tragic story of a “rotten society” that I would highly recommend to everyone. Truly outstanding work.
on February 4, 2017
Great description of the jazz age of the '20's. Gets to the heart of America's class system and the desire for being part of the "elite". Jay Gatsby is a man who came from the ash heaps of the middle West and now drives through the literal ash heaps between NYC and Long Island. The book tells about Gatsby's desire to go back and live part of his life over again with Daisy who is now married to Tom Buchanan. Gatsby has built a life for himself that seems to him to be everything that wealth and prestige can have. That is all an illusion. He is involved with gangsters and his money comes from bootlegging and bogus bonds. But all Gatsby knows is he loves Daisy and now he can give her everything money can buy so he should be able to get her from her husband, get her to say she never loved her husband and get her to marry him. Of course he can't go back and start over. Nothing works like that and the book ends with the great last line, " So we beat on, boats against the the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."
on January 30, 2016
I read this as part of a New Year reading challenge - this was my book that I should have read in school and didn't. I hadn't read the whole description of it, and was surprised how short of a book it was - I think I was expecting something more like 400+ pages. Anyhow - it's a very quick read. I think most people already know what the story is about. I know this is probably sacrilege, but I think the movie may have been a little better (the one with Carey Mulligan and Leonardo Dicaprio). I also think this may be the only time I thought a movie may have been better. I guess the movie just did a better job of showing Gatsby's desperation for Daisy, and how Daisy was ultimately someone who went the easy/most interesting route.
on March 16, 2017
           The Great Gatsby
       The Great Gatsby, by F. Scott Fitzgerald, is a book that sends readers back in time to the 1920s. We get to experience the luxuries, struggles, and daily lives of many different people first hand. We follow Nick Carraway through the cities and suburbs of New York, where he has just moved to. He now lives near the very popular, Jay Gatsby. He had never seen the man until he received an invite to one of his extravagant parties. From here on out, they became friends and helped each other through many events within the story. There were intricate love triangles that totally entangled the pasts of the characters, making the book exciting, and leaving you questioning the future. My one critique was that the book got somewhat slow at points. I believe that this was intentional though, in order to build up to the intense scenes. The book and the movie were extremely similar, so it would be hard to like one and not the other. Now, one of my favorite parts of the book was crazy relationships between each of the characters. Some parts were so twisted and just unbelievably captivating. The ending contains the events that really make this book amazing, in my opinion. Even after reading, and watching, it over and over the plot never gets old. The Great Gatsby is such a classic novel that everybody should read at least once in their lives. It captures each aspect of the time period perfectly. The descriptions are so detailed and beautifully written. F. Scott Fitzgerald really does this topic justice. Reading this book is the closest you’ll ever come to knowing the 1920’s. The drama within these pages is something I haven’t read anywhere else. I highly recommend this book to anyone who has an interest in this era. You will not be disappointed. LK
on May 12, 2014
F.Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby is a story about self-made millionaire Jay Gatsby, who uses his vast wealth to buy his way into Long Island society.He provides parties Most of all, Gatsby wants to win back the love of socialite Daisy Buchanan,now married to Tom Buchanan,who comes from a rich family. Calmly observing the passing parade is Nick Carraway, Gatsby's best friend,who acts as the narrator of the story.

Fitzgerald's novel provides the reader a view about the decadence of a person brought about by materialism and the so-called American Dream.It obviously provides us a great view of the Roaring Twenties when this novel was written.Added to that,it also examines themes about love,betrayal,starting all over again and the recklessness of youth.No wonder it is a great read that many would surely enjoy and many Americans could relate to.If Jay Gatsby were alive today,he would have probably said "This is a classic novel,Old Sport!!!" when asked about it after reading the novel.
on March 1, 2017
2/3 of the whole book is missing. Looks like a 5th grader printed this.
review imagereview image
on January 5, 2016
F. Scott Fitzgerald highly acclaimed novel The Great Gatsby transported me into the roaring twenties of America where there was a fine line between the rich and poor. The story is narrated by Nick Carraway who is responsible for reuniting Daisy and Gatsby. With 180 pages, I was lead through the story of Mr. Gatsby’s deep infatuation with Daisy Buchanan with such intense amount of detail that I felt Gatsby’s urgency surging through the pages. This love affair was innocent and destined in Gatsby’s eyes since he believed that Daisy never stopped loving him, however, this was not the case for Daisy. Gatsby, blinded by his love, failed to realize the emptiness and shallowness of Daisy’s heart. There is clearly only one thing she loves in this world and that is money. Money is the reason why she married Tom Buchanan and money is the reason she noticed Gatsby after all these years of them apart. We as the reader are taken through a journey that exposes the sick power of the rich and the dangers of a kind heart.
Ultimately, F. Scott Fitzgerald talent in writing with such detailed diction, portraying each individual character’s personality seamlessly, made it clear from the very beginning why this novel is loved by so many and still read in the 21st century.
on May 6, 2016
This Is definitely up there with my all time favorites. I have to admit, I was a skeptic. At first I was annoyed and thought the story was a bit hard to follow. The more I read, the more it sucked me in. By the end I was so enthralled I had nearly forgotten about the world around me. I finished this book in only a few days and, upon closing the last page, called a friend and shouted "Brilliant! This was Brilliant!"
on October 14, 2012
Prior to starting this novel, I was convinced I had read it some time in school while I was growing up. Throughout my public school education, we had read a variety of classics from Steinbeck, Dickens, Hemingway, Miller, etc. So I really thought I had read this one along the way. After a couple of paragraphs, I realized that I hadn't, because I think I would have remembered the different feel this one seems to have from most classic American literature.

The length of the novel alone is enough to show you that it's not quite the same as some of those other novels. Fitzgerald seemed to have more of a sense of what to cut out and what to include than some of his contemporaries, because at no point during this reading did I sit and think "Will you just get ON with it?!?" I'm sad to say that I have done that with plenty of other authors, so I was a bit worried I'd have that reaction when going through The Great Gatsby. I very happily enjoyed this novel and hope to read more of Fitzgerald's work in the future.

The book itself is the tragic tale of our title character, Jay Gatsby. Having never been satisfied with the life he came from, Gatsby invents a new self and goes about trying to find the person he wants to be. Along the way, he meets Daisy, who becomes the big driving force in his life. I think in today's day and age, we might call Gatsby a stalker - he's obsessive and goes so far as to buy his house in Long Island because of his ability to see Daisy's across the way. While this would seem creepy if we were telling it from a modern perspective, it strikes me as being rather sad. Gatsby goes from only knowing he wants to make money, to knowing he wants to make money for Daisy. At one point during the story, he even says that he decided doing things was less important than telling Daisy about all the things he wanted to do. It's really a sad case of lost boy syndrome, in my book.

Something that really stuck out to me throughout the book was that people seemed to want to be around Gatsby, but no one necessarily seems to like him, going so far as to spread random rumors about how he acquired his fortune and what his past was like. This theme carries through to the end when we learn that our narrator, Nick Carraway, is the only one who is truly there for Gatsby in his time of need. While Gatsby isn't a model citizen, he doesn't seem all that scandalous to me, and certainly doesn't deserve the rumor mongering that follows him throughout the course of the novel. Maybe it's just the fact that I'm looking at it from a modern perspective, so his actions don't seem any worse than things we see on TV on a daily basis.

I picked this book up for Banned Books Week, and found it rather amusing when I was investigating the reasoning behind the banning of this book. It was basically for language and some mild sexual content, which is just ridiculous. I certainly didn't see any bad language when reading it, and the only references to sex were along the lines of "so and so left the room for awhile". Again, maybe it's a more modern perspective, but those things are just silly. I'm totally against the banning of books anyway, so I guess I've got a skewed perspective twice over.

The only questionable thing for me is really the behavior of Daisy's husband, Tom Buchanan. I found Tom to be annoying, as arrogant as he is described, and a bigot to top it off. It's made worse by the knowledge that men like Tom did exist, and to an extent they still do. Still, that's no reason to ban a book, it's just a reason to dislike Tom and root for Gatsby.

I really would be curious to see what kind of things Fitzgerald would have come up with if he lived in our time. It's a shame we lost him all too soon, because I think he has a unique voice and I would have liked to see more from him.
on February 26, 2015
The Great Gatsby is one of the most riveting and life changing novels I have ever read. Even though it is set in the past it holds a lot of view on our world perspective. The book is written from the perspective of Nick Carraway. He was educated at Yale and had recently fought in World War I. The story begins with Nick moving to West Egg, the rich part of Long Island. Nick wants to learn more on the upcoming industry of stock trading. He finds out that he is living next door to the mysterious, rich philanthropist, Jay Gatsby. Nick has his connections of the East Egg and he begins to gain trust with his cousin, Daisy, who lives there. Nick is told of the magnificent parties that are held at Mr. Gatsby's house. Within the month he is invited to Mr. Gatsby's and he soon becomes friends with him. Gatsby meets Jordan and recalls the love they had before the war and they begin to see each other again. Tom, Daisy's husband, begins to be suspicious of the time that Daisy is spending with Gatsby. Even though Tom has an extramarital affair, he claims that he loves Daisy. In addition, Daisy admits that she loves Gatsby. Tom confronts Gatsby and exposes his criminal activity. Following that, Daisy decides that her allegiance belonged to Tom. On the drive home Gatsby kills Tom's lover, Myrtle, in a car accident. Myrtle's husband, George, finds out it was Gatsby and kills him. Following the death of Gatsby, all of Gatsby's crimes are released to the public and no one attends his funeral except for Nick. Nick loses faith in humanity and as a result returns home to the Midwest.

I myself found this novel to be very interesting because of the differences we see now. We see that the American dream of lower class people becoming rich is almost not possible within the terms of the law. I feel like this is still very true today. One thing that stands out to me even more is the fact that Gatsby was no longer accepted after his secret was revealed. Gatsby was an amazing man even though he had made a living bootlegging. This book taught me that people can be extremely selfish when it comes to money.