Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Amazon's Choice Computers Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts STEM Book House Cleaning siliconvalley siliconvalley siliconvalley  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 4,428 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 6,394 reviews
on December 25, 2015
This is a great novel. So why am I giving it one star? I know for certain that portions of the last page are missing. Once I realized that I began to wonder if maybe other portions were missing that I was not aware of. My advice is that you not buy this edition of The Great Gatsby but spend the extra money to get the complete novel.
11 comment| 71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 25, 2015
Since I read it in 9th grade, The Great Gatsby has been one of my favorite books. Every once in a while I give it a re-read, only to find my reading of the timeless tale of love lost, disillusionment, and new money society to be more relevant than the last. The rich metaphors and symbols in this book are a fantastic introduction to the ideas, and a pleasure for young and old readers alike.

After years of only owning this book in ebook format, I thought it necessary to purchase a hardcover copy, one that will last long after my ereader has died, and one that can be passed along to my children and their children.

I was initially concerned that this would not feature the remarkable original artwork, the golden eyes hovering in the sky, but I can happily say my fears were unfounded. The book jacket appears exactly as it does on the first two photos for this listing, with the original artwork taking up the entire front, and a photo of the brilliant author on the back.

I think this is a must-read book for all, and readers won't be disappointed by this Jazz age masterpiece.
review image
on July 31, 2016
It's easy to overlook The Great Gatsby. The sheer volume of partially invested high school students reading it can make the book seem trite and cliche as a point of reference for culture, allusion, or writing. The fact is that Fitzgerald crushes this story with impeccable levity and gravity. His writing is brief enough to be readable by the masses yet poignant enough to make you pause and reflect on connections to your own life, your own heart. We all want to have the heart of Nick and the wit of Gatsby. The fact we get frustrated, that we see ways it could have gone differently, only proves Fitzgerald's point: that we've all got a bit of Gatsby in us. Each of us had a piece of our hearts that looks at the past and said "I can make that better. I'm going to make things right one day." Each of us have that part of our lives where we swim against the current and are swept continually into the past.
on May 20, 2013
This isn't the first time I've read The Great Gatsby. I read it in
high school, absorbed as much as I needed to pass the class, and
I remembered only as much as cultural references reinforced.
I decided to read the book again in preparation for seeing the
latest Hollywood version. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I'm
glad I read the book.
In high school, I didn't have the patience, the resources, or the
ability to fully appreciate the assignment. I'm sure I had plenty
of time, but I wasn't about to spend any more of it than
absolutely necessary on a then 40-year-old story, even though I
lived on Long Island and had actually been to Great Neck.
Patience was always in short supply when it came to school
work, but I was reading it voluntarily now, and I gave it the
effort it deserved. I looked up every word I didn't recognize, and
researched every reference I didn't understand. Language,
culture, and society have changed quite a bit in 90 years, so I
spent a lot of time on the Internet while I was reading. Each
chapter took at least an hour. But it was all worth it.
I'd give the book six stars, if I could. But I invested much more
time in this slim volume than most people would be willing
devote to it. What if I hadn't looked everything up? I'm pretty
sure my review would be unchanged. Most of my research
merely confirmed what I had guessed, and most of what I
couldn't guess was of no consequence. Everything in the book
was there for a reason, but the story is strong enough to
withstand a casual reading. In retrospect, I see it was strong
enough to withstand a casual and careless reading by a high
school student. How else can I explain the desire to read it
again? I could have just seen the movie.
I will see the movie, although I wonder how well it will hold up
in comparison to the book. My poor wife will have to deal with
my movie review -- possibly during the movie.
on April 9, 2016
This is a 1925 novel set on Long Island, New York. Jay Gatsby is something of a mystery man, obsessed with a female from his past. The book is about the opulence and decadence of the so called Jazz Age. The novel predates the Great Depression, so there is no evidence of the coming depression in this novel. In that context it is something of a snapshot in time as well as a time capsule.

It is not a long novel, and exhibits a certain elegance with an economy of words. At the same time, this is not in any way an action novel and I feel needs to be savored as it is read. I read it twice, the second time, I read it at a leisurely pace and really completely enjoyed it.

I have read all of F. Scott Fitzgerald's novels. This is my favorite, and really the only one I would reread. Interestingly enough, the author thought a subsequent novel, "Tender Is The Night" was his best novel. Additionally, this novel, "The Great Gatsby" did not become a truly iconic work until after the author's death. Thank You...
on March 16, 2017
           The Great Gatsby
       The Great Gatsby, by F. Scott Fitzgerald, is a book that sends readers back in time to the 1920s. We get to experience the luxuries, struggles, and daily lives of many different people first hand. We follow Nick Carraway through the cities and suburbs of New York, where he has just moved to. He now lives near the very popular, Jay Gatsby. He had never seen the man until he received an invite to one of his extravagant parties. From here on out, they became friends and helped each other through many events within the story. There were intricate love triangles that totally entangled the pasts of the characters, making the book exciting, and leaving you questioning the future. My one critique was that the book got somewhat slow at points. I believe that this was intentional though, in order to build up to the intense scenes. The book and the movie were extremely similar, so it would be hard to like one and not the other. Now, one of my favorite parts of the book was crazy relationships between each of the characters. Some parts were so twisted and just unbelievably captivating. The ending contains the events that really make this book amazing, in my opinion. Even after reading, and watching, it over and over the plot never gets old. The Great Gatsby is such a classic novel that everybody should read at least once in their lives. It captures each aspect of the time period perfectly. The descriptions are so detailed and beautifully written. F. Scott Fitzgerald really does this topic justice. Reading this book is the closest you’ll ever come to knowing the 1920’s. The drama within these pages is something I haven’t read anywhere else. I highly recommend this book to anyone who has an interest in this era. You will not be disappointed. LK
on February 26, 2015
The Great Gatsby is one of the most riveting and life changing novels I have ever read. Even though it is set in the past it holds a lot of view on our world perspective. The book is written from the perspective of Nick Carraway. He was educated at Yale and had recently fought in World War I. The story begins with Nick moving to West Egg, the rich part of Long Island. Nick wants to learn more on the upcoming industry of stock trading. He finds out that he is living next door to the mysterious, rich philanthropist, Jay Gatsby. Nick has his connections of the East Egg and he begins to gain trust with his cousin, Daisy, who lives there. Nick is told of the magnificent parties that are held at Mr. Gatsby's house. Within the month he is invited to Mr. Gatsby's and he soon becomes friends with him. Gatsby meets Jordan and recalls the love they had before the war and they begin to see each other again. Tom, Daisy's husband, begins to be suspicious of the time that Daisy is spending with Gatsby. Even though Tom has an extramarital affair, he claims that he loves Daisy. In addition, Daisy admits that she loves Gatsby. Tom confronts Gatsby and exposes his criminal activity. Following that, Daisy decides that her allegiance belonged to Tom. On the drive home Gatsby kills Tom's lover, Myrtle, in a car accident. Myrtle's husband, George, finds out it was Gatsby and kills him. Following the death of Gatsby, all of Gatsby's crimes are released to the public and no one attends his funeral except for Nick. Nick loses faith in humanity and as a result returns home to the Midwest.

I myself found this novel to be very interesting because of the differences we see now. We see that the American dream of lower class people becoming rich is almost not possible within the terms of the law. I feel like this is still very true today. One thing that stands out to me even more is the fact that Gatsby was no longer accepted after his secret was revealed. Gatsby was an amazing man even though he had made a living bootlegging. This book taught me that people can be extremely selfish when it comes to money.
on October 28, 2015
The Great Gatsby is often lionized, even by academics who know better, as a romantic celebration of the American Dream, but it is equally, if not more so, a critique of corruption during the Roaring Twenties' run-up to the Great Depression. And how a twenty-six-year-old alcoholic college dropout could pull this off so masterfully is nothing short of genius.

Corruption symbols abound in this novel. The valley of ashes appears in every chapter, mentioned eight times outright and poetically invoked more than fifty with terminology such as "wash," "dust" and "powder." Six more if references to Nick's Finnish housemaid are counted. Fitzgerald did alliterative back flips to remind us of ashes. The god-like judging eyes of Dr. Eckleburg and the owl-eyed man are mentioned no less than nine times. Crime boss Meyer Wolfsheim's name comes up thirty-two times, and Al Capone's then headquarters, Chicago, twenty.

The main characters are all adulterers. Tom Buchanan has an affair with Myrtle Wilson. Tom's wife, Daisy, has an affair with Gatsby. Nick, the narrator and Daisy's cousin, enables Daisy and Gatsby's affair and has a gay tryst with McKee while dating her friend Jordan Baker, a professional golfer who habitually lies, cheats at golf and is a careless driver. The only honest character is Michaelis, the Wilsons' cafe proprietor neighbor. George Wilson is honorable until, driven insane by grief, he guns down Gatsby in his pool for running over Myrtle in his Rolls and failing to stop. Both Michaelis and George saw a man driving, but Nick believes "gorgeous" Gatsby's lie about Daisy driving.

First bootlegging, then securities fraud, Gatsby's criminal enterprises reek of corruption. He even tries to recruit Nick to sell his worthless bonds. Adultery, wrecking a marriage and lying about who was driving are just part of the package. Gatsby is rejected by Daisy not because of his social class but because he was a criminal. His execution by Wilson is the righteous result of that very same corruption--a bullet from George for running down Myrtle. At the end, Gatsby stunk so badly only a handful of people came to his funeral, not even the ungrateful Wolfsheim, who "made him."

Many readers idolize Gatsby for his determined pursuit of the dream to be a millionaire and reclaim Daisy. Yes, Gatsby dreamed of riches, but his helium-filled ambitions were evident long before he met her. Did he love? Maybe. In Nick's naive romantically charged mind he did. But how much do we trust Nick's judgment after he fawned over Gatsby, calling him "gorgeous," and swallowed his lies about family wealth and being educated at Oxford? For all we know, Daisy’s just a trophy, like the castle and the Rolls.

As if to obliterate any remaining doubt as to his message in The Great Gatsby, Fitzgerald alludes in the final jaded line to the Jazz Age's current of corruption: So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past. Yes, we keep repeating the same mistakes. Ivan Boesky. Bernard Madoff. There have been dozens like them. In the Twenties it was counterfeit bonds. More recently, sub-prime mortgages and credit default swaps. What will tomorrow bring? We can pursue dreams, but it is a morally bankrupt grail if we are corrupted in the process.

Unwilling or unable to face the broader implications of this magnificent social critique, the incurious will be transfixed by Gatsby's capacity for romantic imagination. Maybe it is the novel's dark warning they shrink from. Or maybe they've been misled by Bloom's Guides: The Great Gatsby, a rag of literary misinformation which could have been written by someone bent on keeping the trusting public naive about Wall Street shenanigans.

But even an exorcist conjuring the ghost of Homer could not suppress the fuller message of this apex novella that encapsulates so well the American condition.
on September 10, 2013
No matter that this book is supposed to be so great, I can't rate it a five because to me, it just wasn't one. It didn't leave me wanting more. It didn't leave me routing for the characters. Gatsby was in love with a dream, not a flesh-and-blood woman. When he encountered her again later in life after years of having been separated, she was a disappointment, yet one he still couldn't shake loose. They were both shallow creatures. Ironically, he thought he could win her love and keep her if he had enough money and a fine mansion, but none of that mattered in the end. The only likeable character was Nick. To be honest, after hearing so much about how great this book was, it was a short disappointment. I did think the author handled the accident part well in reference to the drivers and how the scene unfolded. The author did a great job of illustrating a pathetic man. The description was well done, but it didn't capture my attention from the first page, and it didn't hold it raptly until the last, but there were some parts where I wanted to keep reading. I realize it was written years ago and in a far different style than today's books, so I rated it a four, but I don't see what was so great about this book that it had the whole world talking. I've read much better ones that left me yearning for more.
on March 10, 2016
I'm not sure exactly why I'm writing this given the gargantuan number of reviews already present, but what the heck.

I'm not sure it's worth going into the actual story. Most people already know about the actual plot, and if you don't there are plenty of other reviews here that can bring you up to speed. In short, as a high school English teacher, this is one of my favorite books of all time. Not because of the plot itself, which is engaging enough, but because Fitzgerald does an absolutely amazing job of making the story seem real, relatable, and relevant. My student struggle to enjoy or relate to most things written before their lifetimes, but most everyone in class is totally engaged when we do Gatsby, and agree that it reads like a modern written piece.

What's more worth mentioning is this specific edition of the book (I'm not sure if reviews for multiple versions are lumped together, but I purchased the hardcover edition). It's absolutely beautiful, with large pages and quality construction. I wasn't sure if it was worth buying my own copy when I have 40 in my classroom, but I'm extremely glad I did. It's nicer to hold and easier to read than the small soft cover editions, looks great on a shelf, and will assuredly last a longer than I do.