Industrial Deals HPC Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Ski Trip Essentials nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New year, new music. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon startrek startrek startrek  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite The Evil Within 2 Shop now

on May 13, 2017
This book is a great read that you will simply pour through. Dyan does a fabulous job of bringing the reader to South Africa and immersing them into a tale of devotion, love, selflessness & compassion. The harrowing tale of the Treasure dumping it's payload of oil into the South African coast with an entire species lying in the balance & how with the help of over 12,500 volunteer's a impossible task became a reality. Dyan takes you there with vivid descriptions that literally takes the reader to a horrible scene and leave you wondering " how did she and so many others overcome adversity and odds (stacked against them) save a species???. A great read for any animal lover, or if you like the underdog to come out smelling like roses (even after being soaked in oil). A must read!?
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
When my copy of The Great Penguin Rescue arrived in the mail I sat down with it at dinner expecting to read a chapter or two while I ate, then go back to work. I ended up reading the entire book straight through. I just couldn't put it down. From the very beginning the book had me hooked, and I wanted to know every detail about this amazing set of circumstances and the people involved.

Penguins are in trouble around the globe, and the catastrophic oil spill in 2000 right in the middle of a pair of breeding colonies caused world-wide alarm. Within days the call went out to penguin experts everywhere to come in and help. Dyan deNapoli was one of those who answered the call. She was plunged into a situation unlike any that had been seen before. Giant warehouses of scared, oil-coated penguins had to be evaluated, hand fed, and cleaned. The volunteers had to handle razor-sharp beaks, exhausting hours, and sickening stench. They fought through it all, knowing the species' survival could be at stake.

Dyan does an amazing job of helping the reader be there in the moment with her. My eyes welled with tears at many points as I read about the things the people and penguins went through. The rescuers didn't know if this effort would work or not. They could only do their best and pray things worked out.

The book makes you realize that each one of us can make a difference if we follow our dreams and focus on our goals. The people rescuing the penguins were often housewives and office workers, donating their time and efforts to clean the penguin tanks, cut up the fish, and do the many other tasks necessary to keep the rescue center going. Every one of those people helped to make the rescue a success. Each of us has that power, to use our time to make the world a better place.

Highly recommended.
on February 5, 2013
An incredible, beautiful and informative story. You will learn about the plight of penguins, the incredible devotion and skill of the wildlife-caring community (Who knew what a seminal role the New England Aquarium has in worldwide work with ocean-dwellers?) and this one event in particular. (Also, the pictures are fabulous and make the experience more real to the reader.) Reading this compelled me to do something for penguins, so I now give monthly to World Wildlife Fund. A great book to give young people to nurture their involvement/caring about other species. Also a great read (It really is a page-turner!) for adults - the plane, the beach, read to each other before sleep .... Enjoy!
on November 27, 2010
I just finished this compelling story that could have ended tragically if not for the efforts of close to 13,000 volunteers from across the globe who traveled to South Africa in the world's largest and most successful animal rescue. On June 23, 2000, the ship MV Treasure, broke down off the coast of Cape Town, South Africa, spilling 1,300 tons of oil into the ocean and contaminating the habitat of 75,000 penguins. The author, Dyan deNapoli also known as "the Penguin Lady" was a rehabilitation manager during the initial three month phase of this massive rescue effort. I felt totally drawn into the rescue experiences while reading this book. DeNapoli vividly writes about the harrowing rescue process, unforgettable images of volunteers resolutely scrubbing the oil from every penguin feather and force-feeding each bird individually. This book inspired me and reminded me that we all can make a difference in this crazy world of ours. I read that the author is donating 20% of her proceeds from this book to penguin rescue...just another reason to buy and read this amazing story. Thank you Ms deNapoli for a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend read!
on January 12, 2011
This book is touching in that it has been written by the Author expressing her own experiences during the biggest wildlife rescue to date ! I was part of that rescue as well, and re lived all the things that happened in Cape Town 10 years ago, and keep on happening world wide.. Its a message of courage, endurance, love and tenacity. Written in such a touching way, so real, that it was 'unputdownable', put tears in my eyes at times, and I just had to finish it. It also carries a warning of what can and unfortunately keeps happening worldwide in our oceans, the threat of oil spillage and the destruction of habitat for sea life !

It also shows what humanity can do on a voluntary basis when disaster strikes, what people can achieve when they stand together and confront a disaster head on ! Yes, we CAN make a difference, we must and we will, always !

It will make a great gift, to friends and family, or to yourself.. The book is displayed prominently in my book case, and keeps reminding me of an excellent read, and soon I will read it again.. Very much recommended indeed...
on November 16, 2010
Dyan deNapoli has done an amazing job of educating the reader about the magnitude and significant impact the Treasure oil spill had on the environment and the African penguin population. Dyan hasn't written a cold story of facts and figures, instead draws the reader in by sharing the emotions, frustrations, love and compassion she, and many others, endured. Her vivid detail and description of her time spent with the rescue effort makes you feel as if you were there, and wishing you would have been. Although the event happened 10 years ago, there is information current just prior to this book's release. Not only does it Inspire, but Motivates the reader to do their part in helping to save a species. A truly wonderful read.
on July 26, 2014
I saw Dyans TED talk online, and she is a great speaker. I bought this book after seeing her talk. This book is quite moving. I will share this book with others.
on May 2, 2015
A wonderful book about a tragic disaster--the oiling of thousands of penguins off the South African coast.
on February 4, 2016
great read
on July 16, 2011
Amazing story about how a few handful of wildlife rescuers and 1000's of volunteers saved over 40,000 penguins during the 2000 Treasure oil spill. Really moving and touching. I highly recommend reading this book.