Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

on May 22, 2014
I first read this when I was in 6th grade. My Dad gave me the book. Although I didn't read it on schedule like it says, I did make an attempt even back then and I really believe it made a big difference in how I interact with customers and people in general today. I've had a number of different employers over the years tell me that my customer service skills are excellent and seem ingrained in my psyche. Customer service is not something that everyone is good at, but the core skills of patience, listening, controlling emotion, laughing at ridiculous and rude customers (not in front of them obviously), are all traits that can be attributed back to what the scrolls teach and are traits that are common among people who have good customer service skills.

Two scrolls in particular really have helped me over the years, Greet this day with love in your heart and If you persist you will succeed. Greeting people with love has helped me tremendously in dealing with crabby, unruly customers. When I say I love you, in my head, even though sometimes it is hard to do, it keeps me grounded and able to listen to the rants of the customer but not take them personally and also helps me to look at the situation from their side.

My father used to buy this book by the case load (he literally bought over 20 cases) and hand them out to people telling them that if they read the book and follow the scrolls that their life will be changed forever. The repetition in reading the scrolls is key. I've read them so many times now that the principals just come naturally now and I find myself automatically responding to situations almost exactly like the scrolls say.

Some people say that they don't work in the sales field and so the book isn't relevant. In my opinion, this book is relevant to everyone, regardless of your career. Practically every situation, work, family, friends, etc you are selling something. Whether it's selling an idea, convincing a friend, spouse or child to do something, negotiating, interviewing for a job, etc. This is a book on how to live your life in general, not just how to be a better salesman.

You will not regret buying this book even if you just read it once. BUT if you can find the time and make it a habit to read the book as it instructs, your life will be changed forever.
on May 24, 2016
What I find really interesting about this book is that its format allows you to project upon the character in the story, and follow along in the adventure as if you were Hafid, a young camel boy who aspires to the greatness of the greatest salesman in the world. I have just received this book in the mail and have reached the part about the first scroll, but so far I do find this approach very unique and I feel very involved within the task that is given to the young boy. I am really excited to experience practically the next year applying the principles within the book!

I haven't cheated and read ahead, but I will try to give an update in the next several months!
on September 23, 2016
In My Opinion this is on of the "Greatest books in the world". It succinctly organizes some of the most potent life changing principles into a small, compact package that is also fun to read. with the gloat of self help and Success books out there, this one still stands on it's own. If I were to have to pick one book to recommend for someone looking to change their life, I would recommend this one, and simply tell them to replace "Salesman" with "life".

This is not a book about sales to be honest (though it's principles will help you if that is your chosen career). It's a book about how the human experience unfolds, and what you can do to impact it. As the old saying goes, "My son, pay attention to my words....keep them in the midst of your heart". There is no better way to change whats in your heart then the principles he utilizes in this book. apply those to life (or whatever your trying to achieve), and you'll do better. It's as simply as that.
When a book is endorsed by Norman Vincent Peale and W. Clement Stone you know it has to be good. This is basically a fiction tale of a boy named Hafid who wants to become a great salesman. The story is captivating and even turns poetic. You are taken away to an exotic location and get to discover what is hidden in a tower. All Hafid's success later in life is based on what is in the tower. What secrets are in this box and how can they help the reader discover unlimited success?

Very few books can change the world for good, but this one has some of the best insights and instructions for how to be successful in whatever you do. While this is written for salesman I think the information is great for everyone who is trying to make it big in the world. One note to consider is that some of the words used back in 1968 have changed their meaning slightly. I find this a lot with older books.

~The Rebecca Review
“I will live this day as if it is my last. …I will waste not a moment mourning yesterday’s misfortunes, Yesterday’s defeats, yesterday’s aches of the heart, for why should I throw good after bad?”
I will live this day as if it is my last. This day is all I have and these hours are now my eternity. I greet this sunrise with cries of joy as a prisoner who is reprieved from death. I lift mine arms with thanks for this priceless gift of a new day. So too, I will beat upon my heart with gratitude as I consider all who greeted yesterday’s sunrise who are no longer with the living today. I am indeed a fortunate man and today’s hours are but a bonus, undeserved. Why have I been allowed to live this extra day when others, far better than I, have departed? Is it that they have accomplished their purpose while mine is yet to be achieved? Is this another opportunity for me to become the man I know I can be?” - from the book.

This book is filled with great insight and hope. It's a short book and easy to read, but it's filled with things that you will carry with you for the rest of your life.
on December 25, 2017
One of Og Mandino's GREATEST BOOK EVER WRITTEN FOR PEOPLE IN SALES AND MARKETING BUSINESS. Most inspirational,based on Judeo Christian Principles. I gave this book as gifts to all me sales and marketing people in any field throughout my CEO career, LOVE THIS BOOK, I RECOMMEND IT HIGHLY AAA++ A MUST BUY
VINE VOICEon April 26, 2014
Og Mandino's own story is an amazing transformation of a man from failure to success. This, his best known work, will take the reader through a series of steps that, if followed, will transform the mind. A series of "scrolls", revealed as part of an overarching story, will transform the reader into a positive thinking, positive acting person. This book isn't just for sales people, it is for everyone. The focus of the "scrolls" are:

The Scroll Marked I, Form good habits and become their slaves
The Scroll Marked II, Show love and compassion to the world and you shall find it returned
The Scroll Marked III, Persistence will bring you success
The Scroll Marked IV, Love yourself
The Scroll Marked V, Seize the day
The Scroll Marked VI, Do not fall victim to fear and disappointment
The Scroll Marked VII, Do not take life too seriously
The Scroll Marked VIII, Find ways to create value for others
The Scroll Marked IX, Act decisively, do not procrastinate
The Scroll Marked X, Pray for guidance

Each is to be read 3 times a day, once of these times out loud, for 30 days a piece. After this year of renewal, anyone following this process faithfully will not be able to but have a much better outlook on life and themselves.
on August 24, 2017
Considering the title and my interest in salesmanship but zero knowledge on it, I hoped for more profound advices on how to sell something, how to behave when talking to a customer etc. This is more like affirmations which go about being persistent, caring for customer, loving what you do and things like that, which I kinda knew so it wasn't really revolutionary for me. So, in conclusion, the title it really good and makes you wanna buy the book if you're starting with sales, but don't hope to find actual instructions on how to sell and which phrases to use or body language or things like that. Oh and the storyline goes about salesman in Jerusalem or Damask 2000 years ago. It's easy to read and propagates positive attitude which I generally appreciate, so all in all this book would get thumbs up from me.
on December 7, 2014
I bought this book on impulse after reading a review by actor Matthew McConaughey in People Magazine. He mentioned that it was one of the most inspirational books he had ever read, and that it had greatly impacted his life. It was 3:00 am in the morning when I was reading that edition of People Magazine. Thanks to Amazon, I was able to immediately purchase a Kindle edition of the book McConaughey praised about. I started reading it immediately and was really taken in by the story, and the way it inspired me to want to be a better person. I would totally recommend this book. I am amazed that I had not heard of this wonderful author, Og Mandino, but after reading "The Greatest Salesman in the World," I am going to read other books by him.

By the way, had I not read the review by Matthew McConaughey, I think the title of the book would have prevented me from purchasing it. I am not in the salesman trade, so I would have had no interest in reading a book with such a title. But as the book explains, we all are "Salesman" at some points in our lives. We try to "sell" ourselves when seeking employment, or trying to get a date with that special person. A child trying to convince his parents on why they should buy him that new gaming console. We are all "salesman" at one time or another. Probably more times than we think.

I also loved the biblical theme of the book. Great job Mr. Og Mandino.
on July 11, 2015
This is a great book! Inspiring! Not just for salespeople. It's a formula and a plan for success and happiness regardless of your present status.. Study and apply the wisdom in the Scrolls... I first read this book in 1985 when I was 37, followed the plan laid out in the Scrolls and diligently applied the principles. Over a course of time I became a better person, opportunities began to flow to me and my income increased dramatically. I owe it in great part to this book and to James Allen's book "As a Man Thinketh" . Still study them today. They are a must read for my children and grand children. Should be required reading in school due to the principles of perseverance, character and integrity it teaches you.